“Third time here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Third time here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

If we are traveling on I-95 and need to stop for the night, this is where we stay. There are plenty of restaurants, fast food and gas stations nearby. Rooms are adequate and clean. Front desk personnel are very helpful (this time she suggested the Choice Privileges Program). There is an elevator right in the lobby. Breakfast is adequate and server was great ("good morning", "can I help you", "is everything ok?")

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Overall, this is a good hotel, and you can't beat the rate, but it had a couple of issues. (1) Internet was a little slow, and it's not wireless in the room, so you need a cable. (2) Bed is awesome, but pillows are horrible - unless you like sleeping on pillows that are like airy cotton balls with no substance. (3) Hallways will choke you with air freshener smells. (4) Every time I went to the front desk (check in, check, out, get an internet cable), there were two ladies there. The one who helped me mentioned she was new, and she was AWESOME. But, the other one just sat there, indifferent to everything around her, and she was almost rude to the new employee. Her "blah" attitude overtook the new employee's great attitude, so the overall feeling whenever I went to the front desk was that I wasn't welcome.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Radford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Nonsmokers: this is the motel for you if you want to smell someone else’s cigarette smoke! The third floor: smoking & nonsmoking rooms. A brilliant idea. The stench is on other floors, too. That’s like going into McDonald’s and having a smoking and nonsmoking section!! We will not stay here again! They did have a good breakfast bar.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

This hotel has been our stopover of choice for the last five years driving down from Montreal to Myrtle Beach. The rooms are always clean (at least the ones we got), The staff is always friendly. There is a nice breakfast area well stocked. We also like the fact that there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, something we really appreciate after a twelve hours drive. If your into Mexican I recommend El Charro just next to the hotel. Good food, nice friendly service and a fun place to relax.

We've already booked this hotel for our next trip down to MB next month.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

There hasn't been a review of this prpoerty for more than a year so:

I stayed at the Sleep Inn for one night...got a great rate...less than $70 including taxes.

The Good:
Plenty clean (could have done without the cleaning chemical smell and the dusty bathroom air duct vent...does NO hotel clean those?)
Convenient to I-95
Plenty to do, eat in the immediate area...even within walking distance: Mexican joint, Subway, Chinese joint, Chipotle, pizza place, bowling alley, movie theater...Plenty more across a fairly major local road.
Room was well cooled, AC was fairly quiet
Small 'fridge was nice to have
Room was stylish
Decent water pressure and plenty of hot water

The other:
I always get a weird vibe from the staff here. (This was my third visit, first review).
They seem to be tolerating your patronage, but not welcoming it.
There is one employee who spends a great deal of his shift standing outside by the front door reading paperbacks and smoking.
Check-in is always a bit of a hassle...not a big deal, but never smooth.
In the morning, each time I left my room the housekeeper yelled from down the hall to see if I was checking out yet, as if I was keeping her from making up the room.
The (free) breakfast offerings were sparse, with just a piece or two of each item. Three slices of bread, a banana, two danish...and it all looked pretty picked over. They did have the waffles though, if that's your thing. There was no attendant evident and the trash cans were overflowing. Granted I went down only 45 minutes before the end of service. Maybe it was better earlier.
Internet connection was free but intermittent. Did much better getting the signal from the hotel next door.

Bottom line:
Don't expect the staff to be warm and fuzzy. Enjoy your clean, convenient room and use the money you save to go out for a decent breakfast.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I had to "evacuate" northern New Jersey and shorten my vacation plans by 2 days about a week before Christmas 2008 due to an impending snowstorm. I hit the road with 2 inches of snow already on the ground around noon and crawled through very heavy traffic on the N.J. Turnpike and the Kennedy Highway through Delaware and Maryland. Needless to say by nightfall, I was ready for a hotel and had thankfully gotten past DC.

I arrived at the hotel in Fredericksburg after 11 hours of driving when it would've normally taken 5 from that distance. Typically, I use TripAdvisor to find a lodging property if I know the area where I'm gonna stay. I did not have that luxury, so I gambled a bit. It sure paid off to pull into the Sleep Inn!

The young lady at the reception was extremely pleasant and professional. Though I didn't have my Choice Hotels card with me, she went ahead and gave me the Choice rate without further questions. The room was wonderful, especially for the rate class. I could've easily paid 1 1/2 times more at competing hotels in the city. The room and bathroom were clean and the bed was very comfortable. Blissfully, they had a late check out time of noon, which I took advantage of during my one-night stay. They did offer a breakfast in the morning, though I did not partake.

Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel, either for a one-night stay for travelers on I-95 (especially those stuck in traffic) or for those staying a few nights in Fredericksburg or Northern Virginia.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Traffic was heavy on US 1 / US 17, especially trying to leave the hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed here for just one night as we were passing through, and wish we had planned to stay longer. Our room - two queens - was spacious, clean, and everything worked well. Enjoyed the equipment facilities, plus a twilight swim in a clean, attractive pool. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was well-stocked with good materials about the area, and for visiting the area. It's a bit removed from the more interesting, historical parts out of town, or so it seemed, but there are many stores and restaurants within walking distance. We ate good Mexican at Charro's, just behind the hotel. The breakfast at the hotel was excellent. It's just one experience, but I am, at least for now, a convert to Sleep Inns.

• Liked — Everything but location, which wasn't all that bad
  • Disliked — Location, which wasn't all that bad
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sleep Inn South Point? Share your experiences!