“Excellent and tasteful German meal” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: German
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Historic Railroad Station -- The first Restaurnt "Bavarian Chef" is located in Madison, VA.
“Excellent and tasteful German meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

There is Octoberfest style music in a classic white tablecloth experience in an elegant old train station space. Portions oversized. Plan on taking excellent leftovers home. Many traditional German menu options. Plus excellent non-traditional options which sounded great. But we came for German. Have to return. Big selection of traditional home style sides. Could make a meal on them alone. Decent selection of wines. Pricing moderate.

Orange, Virginia
“If you like German food, you'll love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The portions are very large. We each got a separate dish and both were quite good. Too much to eat at one sitting. Probably best to see if you can order one meal and split it, especially if you're not a big eater. Parking is a bit of a problem, but there's a pay garage about three blocks away.

Visited February 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“A Real Treat: Nice atmosphere and Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Bavarian Chef is located in the old rail road station. You still hear the occasional train passing by, but there are not that many that it distracts from the experience.

The menu is varied and the portions large. The side dishes are served family style and without limits. AT first the menu prices may appear steep, but my wife and I generally eat less than half of the entree and then load up the take-home box with all the sides. We will get at least another dinner or two lunches out of the left overs.

The also have a nice desert menu, but in order to save room for that, you'll have to set aside more to take home.

• Visited January 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Great experience after a totally rotten week.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had had a very rough week, so decided to go out with a friend to enjoy a nice meal and to relax and recover. We picked just the right location. We made reservations at the Bavarian Chef in Fredericksburg, and arrived on a very cold, nasty Saturday evening. The inside of the Bavarian Chef was warm and inviting. Without any delay, we were seated near the fireplace.....just what I needed to warm up and relax. Our waiter, Charles, was one in a million. Attentive, nice, observant, quick and knowledgable. We ordered from the "Special of the Day" menu and were not disappointed at all. The portion were large and the food was absolutely delicious. We both ate far too much but neither one of us wanted to stop. The wonderful beverage selection made my day. In truth, the whole dining experience made my day, and more than made up for a rotten week. I can recommend the Bavarian Chef wholeheartedly and know I will enjoy the atmosphere, drink, food, and service (decided to list it alphabetically, and not in sequence of importance :) ) again before too long, even without a rough week to precede the experience.

• Visited February 2013
Palatine, Illinois
“Better than eating in Germany!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Bavarian Chef takes German Food to the next level! I was stationed in the Fredricksburg area for 3 months this past fall when I happened upon the Bavarian Chef. If you like real Bavarian food, you will love this place. In downtown historic Fredricksburg the Bavarian Chef sports traditional Bavarian decor andtop of the line German bier on tap. Try the Boot! Every meal was perfect; here are some recommendations: Try the Bavarian Pretzel w/the mustard and cheese for starters, then move to the Bavarian Sausage Platter, Jaeger Schnitzel or for a real treat, the Schwein Hoxen is to die fo (call them & order in advance). My friend from Germany commented that the Schwein Hoxen is better than what he gets in Germany. If this restaurant was with in 50 miles of my home, I would eat there at least once a week and I would probably be 25 lbs. heavier. I can't say enough about the Bavarian Chef. I recommend you try it for yourself and after you do, I will wait to hear your heartfelt thanks for my recommendation. Prost!

• Visited November 2012