“Almost everything” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Fredericksburg
San Diego, California
“Almost everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Because I have to stay long periods of time in some hotels, I prefer a place where I can get some groceries and plan meals. This is the first time I've been able to fully use the amenities at a Candlewood suites. I was there for 8 days. I was working a 12 hour day, six days a week at a job nearby. I appreciated the free laundry, and the nearby restaurants and Walmart, and other stores. There are only 2 negatives I can note. First, the entire top floor is smoking, (which I don't) so I had to accept a room with someone above me. Luckily, I never even smelled smoke in my room, which I usually do at other smoking (and even non-smoking) hotels. Second, you can only enter or exit the parking lot traveling north on a very busy highway. Most nearby businesses are to the south, so you wind up driving north for a mile, making a U-turn at a 3rd light, and coming back. Minor hassle. But I really appreciate that the housekeeping staff cleans the room and makes your bed every day. And they have 5 HBO channels. And DVD.

Room Tip: Can't say. I faced the freeway and it was still quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Garrett H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
We are so happy to know that you had a great time with us here at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg. We especially love our long-term guests. That is what makes Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg the best mid-scale extended stay hotel in Fredericksburg. With our full kitchens and free laundry facility, we are a perfect fit for extended stay guests. As for the negatives that you mentioned, we appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, our hotel was not designed as a non-smoking hotel. Thankfully, the smoking floor is not on the bottom, but rather on the top so that the smoke will rise, and not inconvenience the guests in the non-smoking rooms. The only inconvenience with this is, as you mentioned, there is the chance that there will be guests in the room below you. Now...as for the arrangement of the hotel with no easy left turn, or an easy way to go south on US-1. You are correct, and we hear your frustrations loud and clear. We have talked to numerous people and organizations, and there is almost no way for this to be improved...aside from spending an enormous amount of money. We have spoken with the businesses that are our neighbors, and there is no good conclusion. We are more than open to any and all suggestions on this, as we do sincerely understand how frustrating this is. That all being said, we look forward to seeing you in our lobby the next time that you are in the Fredericksburg, VA area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chesapeake, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I booked our room about an hour before our arrival which was approximately 8pm. I was given a AAA rate and also give a receipt with taxes that were correct, however when checking my account, there was a $20.00 difference in the fee. I called the hotel to find out where the $20.00 was coming from as my account had a pending status, I was told that their was a $20.00 incidental fee charged to all rooms and if they are not used, they are deducted accordingly. When I told the receptionist that I was not aware of that policy, she said that there is a sign at the counter and it was also in the paperwork that I signed to complete the transaction. I don't know about you, but I felt it was at best, shady! First of all, I checked in and was very tired so I was not checking out the counter and all I remember about the paperwork was a bunch of highlighted areas that were related to my vehicle and appropriate hotel protocol. I will not stay at a Candlewood again because of this incident and I hope that by making others aware of it, they can make a wise choice on where they spend their good money!

Room Tip: 95 right outside most windows, very noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Garrett H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We are very sorry that you experienced an issue with your stay. Especially since this issue related to the incidental hold that was placed on your credit card. I do not know of a single hotel where this is not a standard practice. And this is never a charge. It is an authorization hold, though it may appear on your bank statement as a charge. This is a standard used by all hotels in case you were to make long distance phone calls from your room or place food, dry cleaning, or other charges on your room bill. It is just an insurance policy for us so that we know that we will receive payment for services rendered. This authorization is always released from your card upon check out from our hotel, and takes anywhere from one to ten business days to fall off of your account, depending on how your lending institution processes pending charges. As you stated in your review, this notice of incidental holds appears in two locations at the front desk. One location is on a sign that we have permanently at the front desk. The other location is on the registration card that we have you fill out as you are checking in. This is in no way shady, as we are very open and honest about it. This is one reason why we have the text of the incidental hold notice highlighted and in bold-face print on your registration paperwork that you fill out upon check in. Additionally, our front desk staff is certainly capable of answering questions about this pending charge and how it appears on your account should you ask about it. Again, we are sorry that you had an issue with this part of your stay with us. We do appreciate your business, we value your feedback, and we hope that you will stop back by and see us the next time that you are in Fredericksburg, VA.
Manassas, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed here a while back, and am just now able to review it.. I must say, it's a beautiful property! At the time I stayed, a few of the employees left a sour taste in my mouth by their practices, but As I'm reading it looks like things have definitely gotten better. When we first arrived at the hotel, the gentleman was on the phone and didn't acknowledge us besides holding up a finger at us to 'wait'. After waiting for about five minutes, he got us checked in.. The rooms are spacious and clean and the bed was super comfortable. My only complaint room wise was that it seemed all the dishes were mismatched??? When my boyfriend and I went out to smoke late that night, the night clerk was curled up on the couch in the lobby with a blanket over her watching tv.. It just struck me as very unprofessional, but she was very nice. I would stay here again !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

On our way to Myrtle Beach, we usually stop in Fredericksburg, VA. We found this hotel and decided to stay. The price was fair for one night. The room was clean, roomy, well appointed, nice bathroom. The draw back is the beds. Hard as stone. For a hotel that's geared towards the comforts of home the beds do not meet the mark.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
State College
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed at a Candlewood Suite previously and then this one in Fredericksburg,VA. I was again very impressed. Very clean, very personable staff and a pet friendly hotel. I'm going to rely on Candlewood Suites whenever possible. They seem to be consistently good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Garrett H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Glad to hear about your stay with us! We take great pride in our hotel, and we are a market leader in guest satisfaction. Please stop back by and see us the next time that you are in Fredericksburg. We would love to have you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed here on our way from Myrtle Beach to northern PA and it was the perfect place. We were greeted by the nicest staff member at registration who helped us pick out a DVD from the hotel selection to use in our DVD player in our room. The room is extremely spacious, but the only downfall is we wish it would have had a couch or a roll away bed for our child. I can't say enough about the hotel staff at the front desk....they treated us as we were their long lost relative!

• Stayed July 2013
Garrett H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We are so thrilled that you had such a great experience at our hotel! As you found out when you stayed with us, we take the utmost pride in cleanness and kindness. At Candlewood Suites, we keep things comfortable, clean, and classy. We hope that you had a safe journey, and we hope that you will stay with us the next time you are anywhere near Fredericksburg.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We've been making our way up I-95 from Florida to NY. This was our third night on the road. Glad we spent the extra money for this room. It was clean and comfortable and we could easily imagine staying here for a longer period of time. There are actually outdoor grills available for guests to use, as well as all the in-room amenities you'd expect.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Candlewood Suites Fredericksburg? Share your experiences!