“Fine facility and Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Portsmouth, VA
“Fine facility and Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My stay in Fredericksburg was unexpected. The front desk clerk on duty when I arrived on October 14, 2012 about 7 PM, "Preston", was exceptionally gracious and helpful. He really made me feel like a guest, not just a customer. The room was, as expected, clean, well furnished and equipped with everything needed for a pleasant stay The card with the prayer on it was a blessing.

The breakfast the next morning was very attractively arranged, and the food and coffee were tasty and well prepared.

Room Tip: My room on the second floor was fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel was perfect for us ! Easy in and out. Yes parking is limited but ask the front desk clerk and they will let you know what your best options are. Rooms were very clean (Suggest rooms on the 2nd floor). Breakfast was just fine . If you want a bigger breakfast, PERKINS is across the street. We will certainly return.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stay at this location about every other month for business reasons, with my last stay in September, 2012. The location is very convenient, right off of I-95 on the Northern side of Fredericksburg. I have always been happy with the room amenities and cleanliness. The breakfast is included and exactly what you get at every HI Express - scrambled eggs or omelets (pre-made), biscuits, some kind of breakfast meat, warm cinnamon rolls, freshly-made pancakes, and a selection of cold cereals, fruits, yogurt, etc. There are a lot of fast food options nearby, but you'll need to drive if you want a nicer meal. the staff has always been friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The parking is limited, but I've never had a problem finding a space. In short, exactly what you'd expect from a HI Express. A good choice for business travel, or if you are traveling along I-95 and need a place to crash for the night, although probably not a place I'd choose for my vacation.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mobile, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The good: Hotel is clean, staff is friendly and the breakfast is the standard HI Express fare and well maintained.

The bad: Both myself and and a coworker, I was on the 5th floor and he was on the 2nd experienced that same exact problems. Undoubtedly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. If you like to sleep on a brick this is the hotel for you. Pillows were either way to hard or so soft your head hit the mattress. Now for the paper thin walls. If I wanted to, I could hear quiet personal conversations by my neighbors in their room. My coworker hated the bed as well and he was kept awake the entire first night by his neighbors snoring.

Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Thetraveler59,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am pleased that you have mentioned our friendly staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves in delivering superior service and are happy doing so. However, I would like to apologize for any disturbance you have experienced during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

First I should start out with the positive. The hotel appears to be relatively new and well kept. The rooms were clean, the linens fresh, and the staff was very responsive when we called down for some extra blankets. The complimentary breakfast was even decent.

Unfortunately there were a couple of other issues that left us with a bad taste for the place. First was the hotels "policy" of photocopying my drivers license and credit card at check in. I travel a ton and I can honestly say I have never seen any hotel do this. Why they cannot pre-authorize my credit card like every other hotel on the planet to cover incidentals is beyond me. When I asked the person checking me in about this they responded that it was hotel policy and after checkout they would inspect the room and if there was no damage they would then shred the photocopy. In this age of identity theft, this did not leave me feeling very good about the situation.

The second issue was the parking lot. The lot can probably accomodate about 40 cars, after that I'm not really sure what your options are. We arrived at the hotel around 10:00pm and I ended up driving in circles for 15-20 minutes waiting for someone to leave so that I could park. This is obviously an issue since the strip mall next door had several signs that said "No Hotel Parking". Seeing that the hotel is somewhat new I'm surprised that there are no zoning laws in the area that would require them to have more parking.

The unfortunate thing is that there are not any good alternatives in the area. There is a Hilton Garden Inn across the street, but it was sold out weeks before hand. I guess if I need a room in the area in the future I'll just need to plan better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear bbwebb,

Thank you for your review of our hotel during your stay. I’m pleased you found our hotel clean and our rooms satisfactory to your expectations. I apologize for the confusion regarding hotels policy in photocopying your ID and credit card. Many IHG properties are franchised and independently owned and operated. Your concerns have been documented and will be used to consider improvements needed and i hope that you can give us to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Milton, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel at the last minute after hightailing it out of the Days Inn across the street - so we ended up paying top dollar for a room with 2 queen beds. The price is steep but we were willing to pay if it meant we didn't have to stay where we were. We were not disappointed. The staff we friendly and helpful. The hotel was fresh and clean. Our room was gorgeous - couldn't get over the marble counter in the bathroom - nicer than what I had at home! It felt homey and comfortable and the furnishings were clean, up to date and comfortable. They offered a free complimentary breakfast the next morning of eggs, sausage, biscuits, bagels, toast, pancakes, cereal, milk, juices, and coffee. It was an excellent stay and I would highly recommend the Express.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked this hotel through priceline and got a great deal. For what I paid it was excellent. If I had paid full price (about double what I actually paid) I might not have been as thrilled. Staff were all pleasant. The room was modern looking and comfortable, with a nice sitting area next to the king bed. Big TV, fridge, microwave and Wifi in the room. Really big bathroom counter, which I liked. I thought breakfast was very good. Lots of options, including some very good, warm cinnamon rolls. It was well-staffed so there was no danger of anything running out. Pool looked nice too (there and indoor and outdoor options) but we didn't have time to visit either one. Check out took 10 seconds since we'd paid in advance.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites? Share your experiences!