“Homophobic” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
On Keegan Pond Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added On Keegan Pond Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
11315 Gordon Rd, Fredericksburg, VA 22407   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
“Homophobic”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I just got off the phone with the Innkeeper trying to book a room at On Keegan Pond Bed and Breakfast and prior to actually booking the room I asked would it be an issue that we are a gay couple. After a long drawn out pause her reply was "I usually don't get phone calls from them -- we are very much family oriented." You must be kidding me!? I don’t know what part of the conversation that I found most offensive, the general homophobia or being called “them”.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lincolnton, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This was my husband's 1st and so far, last stay at a B & B! We arrived to the property and though we love geese were shocked at how much goose waste was all over the walkway and front entrance. Even though we had called the owner for some directions to the property and she knew how close we were, we had to knock at the door for which seemed like an eternity and when she finally answered the door she seemed surprised to see us. She stood at the entrance of the door telling us the " rules of the house" and proceeded to give us a tutorial of how to open and close the faulty door and lock. When we finally were allowed inside, the place felt odd and the decor was a mishmash of everything from the 1800's to the 1980's with no particular style. To be fair, the dining room to the left where she serves breakfast is the only room that makes sense and is decorated in good taste with antiques.
She led us upstairs to our room and on the way pointed out her collectibles which had little notes telling us not to touch or remove. Inside the room, her" amenity "was a tray with a Tupperware pitcher with water with plastic throw away cups. The bathroom had two plain white towels and two washcloths and notes telling us not to remove makeup with the towels or washcloths. She had a pump soap dispenser in the shower from Dollar General.
We literally could not wait to leave to go and eat dinner somewhere and when we returned exhausted and ready to just sleep we had to struggle with the door which she had deadbolted from inside and we had to wait for her to let us in. Wait, it gets worse. She asked us what we like for breakfast. Since we wanted to leave as early as possible, we declined. She insisted even stating that everyone loves her breakfasts so I said I like omelets or scrambled eggs; she says she does not make eggs but a stuffed French Toast. I told her we would think about it.
A few minutes after we finally got in bed, the ceiling fan directly above us started to shake and make a lot of noise. It came loose from the ceiling and was dangling over us. My husband went to tell the owner. Instead of moving us to one of the other empty rooms which she kept locked with a key , since we were the only guests, she insisted she and my husband could fix it.
Imagine a 6'2" man standing on a full size bed and this wild-haired woman on a plastic foot stool giving him instructions on how to fix the fan. When all attempts were exhausted and she refused to move us, she brought us a pedestal stand fan. Also the window in the room could only be opened about 2 inches so it was an uncomfortable night especially knowing we were in a place with someone who doesn't have a hospitable bone in her body.
The next morning, she insisted we have breakfast though we were packed and ready to get the hell out of that house. She was so insistent that my husband and I complied. The French Toast dish that she claims people rave about was very unappealing and I could not bring myself to even taste it , the bacon was good and her coffee was decent but the feeling of the place made you want to leave and never look back. The thing that really amazed us was when she served us breakfast she was dressed up and hair and make up done unlike the way she "greeted" us the day before. Her entire demeanor had changed and it was kind of mind boggling.
Also, the grounds were unkempt and the scum filled pond was behind a fence that was overgrown with grass and brush and hard to get to. It is no exaggeration: we felt like we stepped into the Twilight Zone for 24 hours. The good thing is it has made a crazy story to tell; the bad is my husband thinks all B & B 's must be bad because of that experience.

Room Tip: We travelled there in August 2009.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

My spouse and I drove up to find a worn sign at the driveway and a gaggle of geese going across the yard. *I do not dislike geese, just unusual. When we knocked at the door: she knew we were coming, there was no answer; twice. We almost left then the owner appeared at the door and almost looked surprised to see us. She ushered us into a very dated "not quaint" dark living room. My spouse immediately began having an asthma attack from the smell of mold. We were then left there on the couch because she had to run back to her living area to do something. Upon her return we politely went upstairs to see what seemed like her daughters room redone for renting, a small bath, private? I can not remember. The rust stains in the tub are all that stood out. I should have known that something was amiss when I did not see a review in Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to On Keegan Pond Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!