“A B&B Hotel Experience in elegance ...” 4 of 5 stars

Inn At The Olde Silk Mill
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1707 Princess Anne St., Fredericksburg, VA 22401   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Silver Spring, MD
“A B&B Hotel Experience in elegance ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a joy to have stayed here!

In a rather bland business neighborhood we entered upon a delightful sensory experience. Rooms were furnished in antiques and were elegant, but not overpoweringly so. The included continental breakfast was in a room like a dining room, where there was one big table that served to bring the guests together.

The downstairs public areas were just so impressive and attractive. The stairway was a treat for the eyes. The service was friendly and extremely helpful. It was such a pleasure to stay there. Needless to say, the reasonableness of the price was an added joy.

Room Tip: We toured the hotel and selected the room we liked most. Remember that it is a great wedding place...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Upon arriving we were told that we did not have a reservation. The front desk clerk asked if I booked through a bed & breakfast website and before I could answer she said that "the website wasn't linked with inn." When I showed my copy & that the confirmation was through Hotels.com she stated the same linkage excuse and said that the inn was full from a bus tour and not one room was available. I couldn't believe it as the reservation had been confirmed! The clerk offered to find us a room at another hotel, but honestly, why would I trust her to botch up another reservation?!
We left and found our own room. Once settled, I called Hotels.com. Their customer service is wonderful. While I was on the line they tried to call the Inn as the reservation was indeed confirmed with the Inn before Hotels.com is allowed to release it. No one at the Inn answered the call - three times! We were promptly given a refund.
Be forewarned !!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
whelaneman, Manager at Inn At The Olde Silk Mill, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I do apologize for the mishap with the reservation. This reservation was not booked through our Inn. It was done through an outside booking agent, who had not informed us of the reservation. Unfortunately when the couple arrived we had no rooms available. We sometimes allow outside agency's to book rooms, and it is their responsibility to make sure we have the reservation relayed to us. I would advise anyone booking through an online reservation system to call the Inn to double check and verify we have their reservation on file. Usually these services are very reliable. We did offer to call another local hotel or Inn to set up another reservation. It's unfortunate on our part that we received a low mark due to something out of our control and the guests did not even have to opportunity to stay at the Inn.
Annandale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was very pleased with the courtesy and helpfulness of the staff at check in. I was given lots of helpful information about things to do in the area, as well as discounts for certain activities. The decor in the front entrance is very grand with a Victorian style. I can see why this is a popular place for weddings. I enjoyed sitting in the front parlor by the fireplace with my knitting. See my pictures!

The room itself was small but comfortable, furnished in a cozy vintage style. No one could mistake this for a chain hotel! Linens were a bit worn (fitted sheet kept pulling loose) but soft and comfortable. Bed was squeaky but I'm told that's required at a bed and breakfast. :) I think it was actually a full-size, not a queen-sized, bed but as I was traveling alone it was fine. No problems with internet access on my phone, laptop, and tablet. Mini-fridge was a nice bonus as I was able to save money on eating out by stocking it from the local grocery store. Freezer compartment did not seem to work as the ice cube tray had water in it.

Left a sign on the doorknob to make up my room but no one did--maybe they only come by on your last day? If I'd needed anything I would have asked at the front desk so I let it go and--gasp!--made my own bed! The water takes quite a while to heat up (there are signs warning you as much) so run the hot water for your shower while you're brushing your teeth.

Breakfast was quite basic with coffee, tea, milk, OJ, filtered water available. To eat there were bagels (toaster available), instant oatmeal (hot water available), cold cereal, apples, oranges and an old banana which re-appeared the next day, coffee cake, and yogurt. I took a paper cup to use in my room as there were no cups in my room. A copy of the local paper was on the breakfast table on Weds but not Thurs--I think since this is a small town the paper doesn't come out every day.

Location was excellent with shopping, dining, and tourist attractions all nearby. A friend joined me to tour the A. Smith Bowman distillery on Wednesday and we sampled their award-winning bourbon, gin, vodka and rum. We both bought our favorite bottles and also got free souvenir "bungs"--wooden corks that are used to seal the barrels. This distillery has the distinction of being the only bourbon distillery in Virginia; all the others are in Kentucky. We also went to a beer tasting at Blue and Gray; the restaurant was closed as hours are limited in the winter. We called and they sent us to the side entrance in kind of a warehouse building, where we were welcomed and the employees alternated working in the warehouse and serving us samples. We had a late lunch at Castiglia, an affordable and good Italian restaurant in Old Town.

My room was facing the street but it wasn't too noisy. From other reviewers, this may not be the case on weekends.

Room was a bit warm on the first night so the next day I asked for the temp to be adjusted and it was perfect the 2nd night.

Overall, I feel I got what I paid for and then some. Luxurious it was not, but comfortable and meeting all my needs; charming in appearance and my hosts were gracious yet non-intrusive. Hope to visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Stratford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We went to the Inn for a wedding and I was concerned about "older buildings" and mold because of allergies. I was pleasantly surprised. It was indeed old, but very clean and no mustiness. The continental breakfast was simple, but for the price and location I have no complaints. (If you need hot food, Hardees is across the street). Great location for walks into the old town. The staff was very friendly. Due to the age and layout, each room does not have its own thermostat, but when I complained about the room being too hot (January), the staff quickly lowered the temperature for us. If you like the quaintness of B&B's, with some interesting history, the Olde Silk Mill should be a pleasant stay for you. The wedding facilities were excellent as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Grantsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I enjoyed a three night stay at the Inn in conjunction with a wedding being held at the Olde Silk Mill last weekend. I loved the decor...the front lobby with it's elegant staircase, Parlour Room off to the side of the lobby, the uniqueness of the decorating in each bedroom...great fun. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The wedding held in the actual Olde Silk Mill was one of the most amazingly beautiful wedding settings ever. The staff was terrific in helpfulness and setup.
The Inn is an old building and there were some drawbacks of staying there. Hot water in the taps is not immediate. You need to let the water run for about ten minutes or so in the morning before you get hot water. The outlets are sparse so it is a challenge to find enough to plug in rechargers for laptops, phones, etc. and to find ones that accommodate three prong plugs as needed on hair blowers. There was no full length mirror in our room so that was an inconvenience in getting ready for the wedding. The lighting is also not the brightest. That said, the ambiance of staying in this unique Inn within walking distance of historic Fredericksburg made up for the inconveniences.
Our group enjoyed playing board games during the evening down in the lobby on the comfortable couches and chairs both there and in the adjacent Parlour Room. The free popcorn in the Parlour Room from The Popcorn Shop was a fun treat.
I enjoyed the breakfast each morning. It was definitely adequate- scones, cold cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, microwave oatmeal, juice, etc. Staff kept the breakfast well stocked even for late comers.
The grand staircase in the lobby was the backdrop for many of the formal wedding party pictures and the staff was very welcoming and helpful during that process.
I am home again after all the festivities and look back on my stay in the Inn at the Olde Silk Mill with fondness. It was a memorable place to stay and the Inn was a beautiful place for a wedding celebration. I would return.

Room Tip: Didn't see an elevator so choose ground floor if can't climb staircase.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, VA United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We got a discount on the room because we were there for a wedding. Loved having 2 adjoining rooms with the bathroom in the middle to share. The bed was high up off the floor but very comfy! I didn't need a step stool, but if you have any hip issues or are older, it would be a difficult hike. Bring your slippers because the beautiful old hardwood floors are cold without any carpet in the bedrooms. Not your typical spacious hotel for putting on make up, doing hair, etc., but still adequate! Two sinks were nice. No elevators in this B&B/motel, so the wide gorgeous staircase is your only option to the many bedrooms upstairs. Sufficient continental breakfast with the typical carb choices; bagels, sweet breads, some yogurt, some fruit - so if you need early morning protien better go out for brunch. Very good and piping hot coffee with flavored cream available! Very kind staff. Loved the small, lobby fireplace with victorian motif surrounding me.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in late or take a nap and want the room dark, ask ahead of time if any of the r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had a Livingsocial deal and stayed there this past weekend. We were very pleasantly surprised by what a nice stay we had--since the photo of the Inn that we saw after we purchased the deal made it look like a motel-type place. Our room was elegantly appointed and very spacious--and most importantly the bed luxurious, comfy and large. The Inn was also pristinely clean. Breakfast in the morning is a simple affair--nothing special. Would have appreciated some hardboiled eggs, but it was fine as is. A nice gesture is the Innkeeper keeps out coffee and tea 24/7. Staff were very friendly and helpful the entire weekend. Fredericksburg is a great place to visit. Also, there are many nearby restaurants but I want to name 2 we especially enjoyed: (1) "My Place" is a 10 minute drive south on Route1 on Courthouse Road. it's delicious Latin food. (2) "New Orleans Cafe" in downtown. Both were nice places with great food at very reasonable prices. We'll definitely return to the Old Silk Mill when staying in Fredericksburg.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn At The Olde Silk Mill? Share your experiences!