“Loved the Kenmore Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Fredericksburg
“Loved the Kenmore Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

My husband and I really enjoyed our romantic getaway at the Kenmore Inn. We received excellent service from the office staff all the way to the waitress at dinner. Our room was amazingly sprinkled with rose petals, the crackling fire provided a warm welcoming, and the king size bed was very comfortable. Downtown Fredericksburg twinkled with Christmas Lights and it was a beautiful setting. We would recommend the Kenmore Inn to anyone as an absolute must!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

We were in Fredericksburg visiting family for Thanksgiving and decided to stay at the Kenmore Inn - It was a wonderful experience! The staff were professional, helpful and often went above-and-beyond the call of duty. The room was cozy and beautiful. The pub downstairs had a fabulous atmosphere...we wished we had three more days to enjoy all that this Inn has to offer. This will be our place to stay next time we visit family in Fredericksburg!!! I highly recommend it!

• Liked — The people, food and atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

We wanted a quiet little escape and the Kenmore Inn in Fredericksburg, Va was exactly what we needed. At our request, a fire was lit in our room when we arrived, and it was the crowning touch to a beautiful room. We had a cup of coffee from the dining room downstairs, then read the newspaper in the living room, and moved to the porch for a while to enjoy the evening (warm for November). Then we returned to our room where we relaxed and read books by the fire, took a whirlpool bath, tasted the cream sherry (a wonderful touch), and slept very well in the comfortable bed. The only down side was a very loud noise (a generator?) in the morning that ran from 6:00 - 6:13 a.m. (We looked out the window but couldn't figure out the source of the noise.) Other than that, our stay was wonderful. And breakfast in the morning was very nice also.

• Liked — The cozy, romantic, beautiful room and fireplace
  • Disliked — The noise at 6:00 a.m. (generator?) I'm not sure it was coming from the Kenmore, but it was very loud and nearby.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

The Kenmore Inn is one of the most pleasant stays possible. It is located in the most charming part of the restored town, and it adds to the ambiance of the historical setting. The rooms are beautifully decorated - each one different and each one it's own personality. Some rooms even have a fireplace that is tended by the staff. The staff is readily available, but stays in the background so as not to invade privacy. A full breakfast awaits each guest and is included in the cost of the room. We have stayed there before and try to stay at least once a year.

• Liked — Suite and room with fireplace
  • Disliked — Hard to fine a negative.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

Inn staff needs adult supervision

At 5 pm on a Friday night, my wife and I arrived at the Kenmore (our first visit) to meet friends for dinner at their invitation. We entered through the front door at street-level. There was no one to greet us and I had to seek out an employee on my own. When I found one, there was no greeting and I had to initiate the conversation myself, asking about the reservation. In hindsight, she was most unhelpful, telling us only that there was no reservation (they aren't given for groups less than 10) and in any case, dinner service started at 5:30, not 5. In the intervening hour, as we waited for our friends in the foyer, I had another conversation with the women asking if our friends could be relying on “walk-in" reservations for our small group to which she replied "yes". This made since to me as the dining room and lounge off of the foyer was completely empty.

After these repeated displays of unfamiliarity with the inn. You would think she could have figured out this was my first visit, and informed me of the reality that we learned from our friends when we spoke with them later that evening: the restaurant is downstairs in the basement. Our friends told us they had arrived at 5, were seated downstairs, and as time passed, asked the downstairs staff to see if we were perhaps upstairs!

After speaking with our friends, I called and spoke with this same young women, pointedly reminding her of our interactions and asking why it didn’t’ occur to her to put 2 and 2 together, to which she replied “I had no way of knowing it was your first visit”.

Clearly, the staff at the Kenmore Inn requires adult supervision. In particular, the young women I interacted with should get her nose out of the computer (college student working part time, doing school work on company time?) and acknowledge and serve visiting guests. Same for the staff downstairs: They clearly said one thing and did another regarding checking for our presence upstairs.

On a side note, and regardless of the experience I described above, I can say I would not stay at this Inn. When you approach the front door, the lawn and entryway are littered with dead plants, leaves, and is otherwise overgrown and unkempt. The trim paint is peeling and flaking. The foyer furniture upholstery is stained. The small sitting room we waited in had many cobwebs, and one of the chairs I attempted to sit in was so rickety, I thought it would break under my weight. The ceiling is water stained. The overall impression is one of decline, lack of basic maintenance, and lack of basic cleaning.

I recommend you give the Kenmore Inn a "pass"

Stayed November 2008
Jackson, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

My husband and I were staying in Fredericksburg for one night and decided on the Kenmore Inn based on the positive reviews.
Unfortunately for us it was not a positive experience. When we booked the B&B over the phone we were told there was "live" music in the tavern on Thursday night but it would end by
11:00 p.m. We thought this was okay since we were on vacation and would enjoy some music. The receptionist assured us she would put us in a room away from the noise. Well, we were in a room directly above the tavern and patio and the music did not end by 11 p.m. as promised. We kept the t.v. and air conditioner on to drown out the noise, which finally died down by
1 a.m. The B&B is for a much younger crowd (we are in our mid 50s) and I would not recommend the Kenmore to anybody unless you want to party until 1 a.m. (although the breakfast in the morning was excellent). Upon checkout I did notify the receptionist about the noise and how disappointed we were. Her response was "the band is suppose to stop at 11 so I'll inform the manager". The problem wasn't just the band it was also the tavern crowd carrying on until 1 in the morning on the patio. Beware - if you want a relaxing, quiet B& B, pass this one by! Hotel management should ensure the guests staying in the rooms are the priority of the inn - not the tavern crowd.

Stayed September 2008
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

I had worked at the Inn back in the '90s and was excited to return for a short get-away with the husband. I was delighted by my experience at the Inn and with the visit to F'burg in general. The Innkeepers were very friendly and helpful and I felt very welcomed. It is odd that the innkeepers don't use the front Parlor to greet guests (considing there is an innkeeper's desk) but there is a sign posted to direct guests to the office. I didn't hear other guests in their rooms but - really- it's an old building, not a Las Vegas hotel. I had expected to hear a variety of sounds given the building's age. My room (#207) was lovely and updated- the bathroom was newly renovated with a jacuzzi tub and wonderful decor.
The breakfast is generally good though not the best I've had. I did appreciate that my husband and I had our own table and could come down to eat at any time between 7:30-10 am. Most B&Bs serve at a particular time and in a family style- I suppose there are pros and cons to each method.
The inn's location is perfect for those interested in downtown shopping and restaurants or those interested in the historical sites of Fredericksburg. Also a short walk to the University. You could happily stay at the inn for the entire time but why miss out on the beauty of the town?
I will definitely return to this inn on my next trip to F'burg.

• Liked — Location; lovely accomodations
  • Disliked — Breakfast was fine but not great
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Kenmore Inn? Share your experiences!