“Won't stay again” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 43 hotels in Fredericksburg
Pennsylvania
“Won't stay again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our last night on the road and we were looking for an inexpensive room close to I-95 (that would also allow a pet). The staff was friendly, the bedroom area was worn but clean, and the bed was comfortable. Paint was peeling off the walls in the bathroom and the toilet had not been cleaned in quite some time. The inside of a small refrigerator was caked with old food. We've stayed at several Econo Lodges, and this is the first time that a room has been dirty. This will not be on our keeper list for East Coast trips.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We arrived late, called Hotel.com made reservation 1 hours before arrival. Got a good price, great large room, clean, management pleasant even at MIDNIGHT.. BREAKFAST INCLUDED, WAS SUPER, EGGS ANY STYLE AND PANCAKE being prepared and delivered to our table etc...they had other breakfast items as well... will stop there again while traveling that area.

Room Tip: we called Hotel.com and asked for a hotel or motel or lodge in specifying Econo Lodge and in Frederi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had staff banging on my door an hour before my checkout time, telling me I had to leave now, even though I had been promised a one hour later checkout. When I explained this to the pompous, arrogant, aggressive, warden-like tyrant of a man, he just became more agitated and walked off mumbling in some foreign language, clearly displeased.

The hotel manager at the front desk, who I think may have been the old man's daughter, asked for my feedback and while I tried to speak, the old man kept interrupting me and denying everything. I finally had to tell him to be quiet and let me speak. At the end, she responded with, "I'm sorry. Thank you."

Apathy at the top, abusive language and behavior from below.

Then they proceeded to try and overcharge me upon checkout for the optional use of a safe deposit box I never used. This is now standard procedure in many if not most of these places: Charge everybody and see what you can get away with. Taking advantage of their customers is now policy. Family business, no problem. This family, big problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cortland, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Ok, if you want luxurious, this is not the place for you. However if you want simple and cheap place for a quick overnight, this is it. The room was worn, but appeared clean. I checked the bed linens and they looked ok to the naked eye. You could see the room and bathroom had definite age on them. There was a pool which was kind of clean...it was pretty conveniently located of I 95. You need to do a u turn as it's a divided road and the sign is down a bit low... but there is a sign that shows where the entrance is to the drive. The hotel is tucked behind another, but as I said there is a sign, there's a Motel 8 right there too and that sign is bigger. There are 2 best parts about this hotel. First there is a microwave and fridge in all the rooms and there is are plain pancakes and eggs cooked to order for breakfast. Not much else except 2 choices of cereal, orange juice that wasn't so good and coffe that wasn't so good. The lady that made the pancakes and eggs was very nice. Also there looked to be some vagrant-y type people about, but we had no issues.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wish we had read the Trip Advisor reviews before we spent 3 nights there. The first room we were in was also occupied by a roach in the night stand. Also house-keeping did not make up the room after 1 day's stay, well, we chalked this up to an oversight. Day 2 another roach on the sink, we requested a transfer, the 2nd room was better, cleaner and no funky smell. This day, the housekeeping staff only made up 1 bed, although both beds were used, we had our granddaughters with us for a Labor Day visit. Before we left on the 3rd day, we checked all baggage for roachs, thank goodness there were none. The Complementary breakfast was truly low-budget. As others have posted, minimal in quality and quantity. The beds were rickety, one of the two doubles had the springs near to coming through the surface.

As an aside, animal control was on premises, working. I don't know what they caught, probably ferrel cats, we had seen them about.

Stay away! Very seedy!

Room Tip: They do not exist!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Waycross, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Do not stay here if you value your well being! This is the absolute shadiest hotel you can imagine. If you cannot afford ten dollars more for any hotel but here. Just stop at a rest stop and sleep for a few hours because its more than you will get here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Moorhead, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here for 10 nights in order to save money. The room seemed fairly clean, except for the walls, which were smeared with dirt and who knows what else. The complimentary wireless internet was down for all but one of the nights I was there. Except for the weekends, the breakfasts consisted of eggs and toast only - no other choices. The cleaning staff spoke very poor English, so communication was difficult. At the end of my stay, bedbug bites appeared all over my arms (I've heard reactions to bedbugs can be delayed by a week or more). I've stayed in a lot of cheap hotels, and this was the worst!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge South? Share your experiences!