“Decent place to stay for the price.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #39 of 43 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Cortland, New York
“Decent place to stay for the price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Ok, if you want luxurious, this is not the place for you. However if you want simple and cheap place for a quick overnight, this is it. The room was worn, but appeared clean. I checked the bed linens and they looked ok to the naked eye. You could see the room and bathroom had definite age on them. There was a pool which was kind of clean...it was pretty conveniently located of I 95. You need to do a u turn as it's a divided road and the sign is down a bit low... but there is a sign that shows where the entrance is to the drive. The hotel is tucked behind another, but as I said there is a sign, there's a Motel 8 right there too and that sign is bigger. There are 2 best parts about this hotel. First there is a microwave and fridge in all the rooms and there is are plain pancakes and eggs cooked to order for breakfast. Not much else except 2 choices of cereal, orange juice that wasn't so good and coffe that wasn't so good. The lady that made the pancakes and eggs was very nice. Also there looked to be some vagrant-y type people about, but we had no issues.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wish we had read the Trip Advisor reviews before we spent 3 nights there. The first room we were in was also occupied by a roach in the night stand. Also house-keeping did not make up the room after 1 day's stay, well, we chalked this up to an oversight. Day 2 another roach on the sink, we requested a transfer, the 2nd room was better, cleaner and no funky smell. This day, the housekeeping staff only made up 1 bed, although both beds were used, we had our granddaughters with us for a Labor Day visit. Before we left on the 3rd day, we checked all baggage for roachs, thank goodness there were none. The Complementary breakfast was truly low-budget. As others have posted, minimal in quality and quantity. The beds were rickety, one of the two doubles had the springs near to coming through the surface.

As an aside, animal control was on premises, working. I don't know what they caught, probably ferrel cats, we had seen them about.

Stay away! Very seedy!

Room Tip: They do not exist!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Waycross, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Do not stay here if you value your well being! This is the absolute shadiest hotel you can imagine. If you cannot afford ten dollars more for any hotel but here. Just stop at a rest stop and sleep for a few hours because its more than you will get here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Moorhead, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here for 10 nights in order to save money. The room seemed fairly clean, except for the walls, which were smeared with dirt and who knows what else. The complimentary wireless internet was down for all but one of the nights I was there. Except for the weekends, the breakfasts consisted of eggs and toast only - no other choices. The cleaning staff spoke very poor English, so communication was difficult. At the end of my stay, bedbug bites appeared all over my arms (I've heard reactions to bedbugs can be delayed by a week or more). I've stayed in a lot of cheap hotels, and this was the worst!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tiverton, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I wouldn't bring my wife here, but when traveling alone this flea bag is worth the less than $40 bucks per night being charged. Good points: a good breakfast consisting of a made for you egg and pancake, toast, coffee, fruit, and juice. Located on Route One a quarter of a mile from an Interstate 95 connection. Close to the historic sites and about 2 miles from downtown. Bad points: a welfare motel for temporary workers; dirty, long in the tooth, and noisy from the tenants past midnight the last time I was there. Cheap, cheap, cheap. There is an outside pool; looks iffy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was the WORST hotel I have ever been to.... The staff seemed to be friendly but as I drove to my room It seemed more of an apartment complex with people sitting in chairs in front of there rooms having a beer!! That wasnt the worst of it... The smell of the room hit you as soon as you walked in the door, I went to use the br and the tub was FILTY DIRTY with soap scum and dirt. My 3 yr old starts yelling Mom there is a bug!! A huge Roach was crawling on the wall. I never even took my bags in the room... WE WERE OUTTA THERE!! Just pay the extra few bucks and stay somewhere clean and less seedy.

Room Tip: Stay Away!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

The rooms were clean, cheap and dog friendly. That is the best you could say about it. The staff were friendly to the adults but not very friendly to our teenagers. The staff was also not very helpful. First, I had called when we booked to request rooms side by side - when we arrived they were not, even though there was an empty room between us. When we went to have that fixed they had already rented the room between us! The refrigerator in our room didn't work. We tried to get extra towels and kept getting the run around and made to feel like a criminal! Also the atmosphere was very seedy. Many of the people there seemed to be residents. The breakfast had an egg and pancake station but little else. The donuts in the picture didn't exist, just two cereals and toast. That was it. No bagels or english muffins or pastries. Definitely not the quality we are used to with Choice Hotels. If we hadn't been using reward points and had a dog I would have changed hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge South? Share your experiences!