“Pay more to stay elsewhere - it's worth it” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #39 of 43 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Moorhead, Minnesota, United States
“Pay more to stay elsewhere - it's worth it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here for 10 nights in order to save money. The room seemed fairly clean, except for the walls, which were smeared with dirt and who knows what else. The complimentary wireless internet was down for all but one of the nights I was there. Except for the weekends, the breakfasts consisted of eggs and toast only - no other choices. The cleaning staff spoke very poor English, so communication was difficult. At the end of my stay, bedbug bites appeared all over my arms (I've heard reactions to bedbugs can be delayed by a week or more). I've stayed in a lot of cheap hotels, and this was the worst!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tiverton, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I wouldn't bring my wife here, but when traveling alone this flea bag is worth the less than $40 bucks per night being charged. Good points: a good breakfast consisting of a made for you egg and pancake, toast, coffee, fruit, and juice. Located on Route One a quarter of a mile from an Interstate 95 connection. Close to the historic sites and about 2 miles from downtown. Bad points: a welfare motel for temporary workers; dirty, long in the tooth, and noisy from the tenants past midnight the last time I was there. Cheap, cheap, cheap. There is an outside pool; looks iffy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was the WORST hotel I have ever been to.... The staff seemed to be friendly but as I drove to my room It seemed more of an apartment complex with people sitting in chairs in front of there rooms having a beer!! That wasnt the worst of it... The smell of the room hit you as soon as you walked in the door, I went to use the br and the tub was FILTY DIRTY with soap scum and dirt. My 3 yr old starts yelling Mom there is a bug!! A huge Roach was crawling on the wall. I never even took my bags in the room... WE WERE OUTTA THERE!! Just pay the extra few bucks and stay somewhere clean and less seedy.

Room Tip: Stay Away!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

The rooms were clean, cheap and dog friendly. That is the best you could say about it. The staff were friendly to the adults but not very friendly to our teenagers. The staff was also not very helpful. First, I had called when we booked to request rooms side by side - when we arrived they were not, even though there was an empty room between us. When we went to have that fixed they had already rented the room between us! The refrigerator in our room didn't work. We tried to get extra towels and kept getting the run around and made to feel like a criminal! Also the atmosphere was very seedy. Many of the people there seemed to be residents. The breakfast had an egg and pancake station but little else. The donuts in the picture didn't exist, just two cereals and toast. That was it. No bagels or english muffins or pastries. Definitely not the quality we are used to with Choice Hotels. If we hadn't been using reward points and had a dog I would have changed hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This motel seems more like a rooming house. There seemed to be lots of permanent guests, not of the highest quality. They didn't honor my confirmed reservation for a smoking room. The neighborhood was somewhat creepy. I left without staying, as the whole place made me uncomfortable (and I'm not at all a scaredy cat)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was the worst hotel ever! Pulled in late from a long distance drive, forced to stay because of mon refund policy, woke several times to "live ins" fighting, screaming and threatning each other.final arguments at 4am, we packed up and were out by 4:30am! Stay away from this hotel, we will NEVER stay at any choice hotels again especially Econo Lodge!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Sydney Mines, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

whenever we travel south on 1-95 we almost always stop here.the price is always excellent(somtimes half the cost of other hotels nearby) and the free breakfast is good.the hotel looks run down but it's very clean and good for an overnight stop with no frills.very closeby are many places to eat as well as walmart to do any shopping.

Room Tip: we always ask for a non smoking king room on the first floor as you can park just outside your room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge South? Share your experiences!