“Very nice stay for a few nights” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #15 of 43 hotels in Fredericksburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very nice stay for a few nights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel March 16-17 for my daughter's soccer tournament. To start, I will begin my review the way I always do: I am a hotel snob with a middle class budget. I review hotels like I am looking to buy a house. Generally speaking, regardless of the class of hotel, I do not enjoy them. But I understand that hotels are a part of life, so I am realistic about my reviews. This hotel, especially for the price ($96 for a night) was a very nice experience - for the most part.

Customer Service: This is where this hotel gets the highest possible score. Samira (the general manager) and Chris (the front desk attendant) provided a level of customer service that I have not experienced in a very long time. Here's why: The hotel has only three floors. I detest sleeping on the first floor, but I did not request a higher floor when I reserved a week prior. In addition, I got to the hotel at 10:30 am on a morning when the hotel was sold out the night before. They not only quickly got a room clean for me and checked me in y 11 am, but they also spent 15 to 20 minutes moving guests around who were scheduled to check in that day, just so I can get a room on a higher floor. And they genuinely seemed not to be alarmed by my demand. I was very impressed.
The room: It was quite modern, with updated furniture. It came with a small refrigerator as well. I stayed in the room with my wife and two kids but I didn't feel as if the room was over crowded. Mattress was a little soft for my taste but my wife slept well, so it's a matter of opinion.
The Lobby: It's small but it is well kept with decent furniture. It is a nice place to relax after a long day and has a nice gas fireplace. There is a small indoor pool that people seemed to enjoy as well and there's a place to buy snacks. The exercise room is small (two pieces of cardio equipment, a few dumb bells). There is a washer and dryer on the first floor as well.
Cleanliness: This is where I have minor complaints, but there was a soccer tournament in town so there were a lot of kids. But still, they could have done a little more. The two trash bins in the eating/common area were overflowing a few times during my stay. The elevator was small and a bit messy and the common bathroom on the first floor could have been a bit cleaner. But again, to be fair, it was a very busy weekend for the hotel. But they knew it was going to be busy so they should have been prepared and had a person cleaning those areas and removing the trash a little more often. I would imagine on a normal week day or weekend this would not be an issue.
Food: Breakfast is free and what you would expect. They have two waffle makers (some hotels only have one and I hate that because of the wait), eggs, and an assortment of cereals and muffins. The orange juice did not taste good in my opinion. But everything else was fine.

There is also a Friendly's Ice Cream restaurant about 25 yards away, which makes it easy to have a desert at night. The hotel is also a short drive to the main area of Fredericksburg, which has plenty of standard retail stores, restaurants and sites to visit.

Overall: I recommend this hotel. It doesn't allow pets (unlike some of the nearby hotels), which I like, as my daughter has pet allergies. Plus, pet friendly hotels are just nasty in my opinion. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Three star is because of the beds - the room is clean, but on the downside the beds are only ok, could be replaced, sagged when we sat on them. We slept but have had more comfortable beds most anywhere else. The room was very large and there would be room for a loveseat or more furniture but there was just one very small chair in the corner besides the normal room furnishings.

Great that there is a mini fridge and micro in the room. There are three restaurants, including one on each side of the hotel that make this a very convenient location. We were traveling and it was a nice surprise to be able to walk over and get something to eat having to drive, after we had been on the road all day.

The front desk and housekeeping staff are wonderful, friendly and helpful. Having a free breakfast was a big help in getting us quickly back no the road the next day. Microwaveable breakfast sandwiches were good. Dining room staff very helpful as well.

If the beds were better would be 5 stars

Room Tip: Lower numbered rooms are furthest from the busy road. We had no noise from the roadway, we were on...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lehi, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were first greeted by a friendly desk clerk who wanted to be sure we were happy. The room was very clean, bed comfortable, and the shower in the bathroom even had one of the rods that swings out to give you more room. In the morning, the desk clerk gave us maps to get to some sites we wanted to see, and was just very helpful. The breakfast area was very clean and well stocked, with a woman to make sure it stayed that way. There was fresh fruit, etc. We enjoyed our stay. It is a great value for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hyde Park, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Traveling south on holiday, we chose to stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Fredericksburg, VA. While not the easiest to find (Our SatNav did its job well), once we arrived we found our room spotlessly clean and comfortable. The young lady at the front desk went out of her way to recommend a couple of possible dinner spots and answer all of our questions.
We'd stay there again in a minute!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Fairfield Inns are pretty much the same and it is one of the reasons that we book there because we know what we are getting--usually a good, clean room with the usual amenities, breakfast and that is usually all that we ask. There were no problems with the room which actually included a microwave and refrigerator as well. The bathroom had a lot of grab bars so that was good for my elderly Mom. As requested we had extra towels. Beds were great. If I were to get real critical we were looking for a cup of tea and it had to be retrieved from the back area of the dining area and there was a little bit of an attitude involved with that by the desk clerk. But on the other hand the same desk clerk did a great job of putting some food we wanted to keep frozen into the freezer. And we had no problems retrieving that the next morning. The breakfast was okay but I would have preferred homemade oatmeal rather than the instant stuff (that's just my preference). We were warned that the eggs tasted awful so we did not try them--my husband and my son had them and said they were the worst scrambled eggs ever. So management may want to check on what's up with the eggs that were served. The plates/utensils were plastic. The dining area was small and rather cramped--hard to find a place to sit down to eat. Overall, the breakfast was not as good as it could be although the young lady supplying the food in that area was very helpful and cheerful. I would not have a problem returning to this place again as overall it was pretty good but like I said there is always some room for improvement.

Room Tip: We had the street side on the third floor and it was a little noisy, so we kept the TV to block the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Having had generally good experiences at Fairfield Inns for business travel, i decided to break up a long Thanksgiving drive with an overnight here. Hotel was renovated around 2 years ago and is really well maintained. Staff were all exceptionally helpul and friendly. We were able to set the room heat just right and the fan unit was reasonably quiet. Breakfast buffet was pretty standard but appreciated scrambled eggs rather than sausage gravy.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stotfold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott hotels but Fairfield Inn has to be our high value / low cost choice when travelling. Plenty of free parking, very courteous front-desk staff, pleasant entry area and very comfortable room. Add to this a complimentary breakfast ... what more could you ask!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Fredericksburg? Share your experiences!