“our tour of new england” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brookline
Leigh, United Kingdom
“our tour of new england”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

as we were on a coach tour our accomodation had been chosen by the tour company, initially we had a problem getting into the room this was soon rectified with a voucher for a complimentary breakfast as well, the only complaint i had about the room would have to be the height of the loo, it was very low im only just over 5ft and i struggled. the bar area was good the old gentleman behind the bar was brilliant service was brill, we ate at the bar the food was good as well

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, in regards to the height of the loo, some of our boutique rooms have a smaller footprint, and a slightly smaller bathroom area. If you travel again to this area and would like a larger room, you can always upgrade to one of the Executive rooms in our tower. I will pass along the great comments to the chef and to the bartender, they will be very pleased with your accolades! Thanks again for taking the time to write us, hope to see you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The hotel is ideally located with garage parking for parents visiting their students at BU. You can walk to campus or catch the T right at the hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Rooms had free wifi and were comfortable. There are no safes in the rooms. Neighborhood is lovely.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HIBrookline, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your response, we are glad you had a great stay, and yes we are a short walk away from BU and close to many other higher educational institutions. Getting into the city is also relatively easy with the "T" right outside our doorstep . We hope that we will see you in the future when you return to the Boston Brookline area.
Southwest Harbor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently went to Boston on a spur of the moment trip and stayed at the Holiday Inn. We did not arrive until very late in the night, but were greeted by a nice gentleman who made the check-in process very easy (even when dealing with hotel guests who were complaining about things beyond his or the hotels control in the city.) He also helped us find places to eat late night, which we appreciated very much. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. The only downfall I would say would be the price of the parking, but not being from a city, I am used to free parking, so I can't be too picky.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your kind words about the check in process and it will be my pleasure to share those comments with the staff as it is our goal is to insure that every guest has the type of experience you did. I am pleased you found the rooms clean and comfortable, as the housekeeping staff prides themselves on this. Our parking prices are very competitive with other garages, and one advantage is you can leave your care for the day and take the "T", and not have to worry about parking downtown. Perhaps next time when you travel to this area and have more time to explore, as in addition to the Red Sox and Boston Marathon there are many other attractions, museums, colleges, world renown Hospitals (free shuttle) and boundless activities a short walk or train ride away. We hope to see you the next time you venture into the city, again thank you for sharing your experience with us!
Torrington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My family was in Boston for my daughter's college family weekend. After spending many hours researching hotels I decided on the Holiday Inn in Brookline. The hotel is very convenient to the college which was accessible by car, T, or even walking. It is also close to Fenway Park. We loved the street and area as it has nice homes and is not busy like downtown Boston. Check in was quick and easy. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The lobby was comfy with a nice bar area. After reading reviews I knew the better rooms are located in the Tower so that's what I booked. The room had two double beds, chair and ottoman, desk and chair, and dresser with a nice television. The bed was very comfy with lots of great pillows, although it seemed smaller than a double size. The bathroom was nice and clean and average size for a hotel. We did have a view of the area which was nice. Breakfast was included so we were given vouchers. This allowed us to have the buffet or order off the menu. Service in the dining room was prompt and friendly. Some of us ordered from the menu which was delicious. Others ate from the buffet. It had the usual eggs,french toast, bacon, sausage,and homefries. It also had cereal, yougurt, fresh fruit, toast, bagels, and muffins. Everything was good and worth the $10 extra for breakfast. There was a parking garage located next to the hotel which was accessible through a door downstairs. Check out was equally quick and efficient. The only minor complaint was the elevator was extremely slow. Overall I was very satisfied with this hotel and would definately stay here for future visits to Boston.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are quieter and have a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wow, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is evident by you thorough comments that we were successful in making your stay a memorable one, and it will be my pleasure to share those with my entire staff. The elevator is an area of opportunity for us to look at improving, and I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you in the future!
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Smart hotel with quite good dining facilities. The menu choice was a little limited and one of the waiters was slightly aggresive when I reduced the "built in" gratuity from 18% to 10%
reluctantly I paid up the total but firmly believe that a gratuity should be just that and not a fixed part of the bill.
Our only real grouse was that the room was too hot for a really good nights sleep. The air conditioning worked but the noise was not conducive to sleeping. With no windows to open we slept uncovered but were still hot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid feedback, I am pleased you found the dining satisfactory and will certainly look into the "built in" gratuity. Indeed some of our rooms have interior facing rooms, perhaps the next time you travel to this area when you make your reservation you can upgrade to an executive tower room with an exterior view, in which the windows do open. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Boston-Brookline area.
Greenwich, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This weekend, my family and I went to Boston for a college parents weekend. Due to the usual arrogant unconcern of University apparachiks for the poor fish who pay the bills, major universities two miles apart on Commonwealth Avenue had parents' weekends at the same time. The best we could do to avoid sleeping in the park (in the rain) was this Holiday Inn on Beacon Street in Brookline.

To sum up at the beginning, I think this may well have been the worst value in hotel accommodations of my entire life. For a smallish single room with an even more smallish bathroom far from downtown, the mulct for one night, no breakfast, no nothing, was a staggering $328.40 ($294 plus tax, no other extras). Here are some of the features I got for $328.40:
-The room had no window to the outside world; it opened onto a gallery above the swimming pool and jacuzzi - - great if you like the view of fat women in skimpy bathing suits and especially if you enjoy a powerful smell of chlorine.
-The bathroom was not quite airliner small, but featured the tiniest 'bathtub' I have ever seen, perfect perhaps for bathing your chihuahua but useless for a grown human being.
-They charge $24 extra for parking; I don't know whether the desk clerk was lying or not as to whether the numerous vacant spaces on the street (meters not needing to be fed Saturday evening or all day Sunday) were unavailable 'because overnight parking is forbidden in Brookline' but we were too chicken to risk it.
-The 'strange over the pool' arrangement mean some very long walks from the single elevator- and part of my family had a room up some stairs where it was impossible to wheel the luggage gurney. And speaking of 'strange,' I thought it was odd that the TV channel list in the "guest" [sic] guide was wrong as to virually every entry.
I don't mean to suggest that the place was uninhabitable. The room was clean enough; the skimpy bathroom had hot water, etc. Of course it had the usual annoying card saying that "we" care about the environment and "we" want to conserve water by not washing your towels or sheets (never of course that "WE want to make even more of a profit on our grossly excessive room rates") but this 'Greenwash' scam is so common I can't blame Brookline Holiday Inn for that. What I can say is that $328.40 for a room of this caliber in what amounts to a Grade B motel is a plain outrage and I will never, ever patronize Holiday Inn again
Caution for European Travelers: In parts of Europe, "Holiday Inn" can be quite an upscale brand, e.g. The Minerva in Rome. Do not be misled. This is no Minerva despite the price.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay someplace else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear John L,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I needed a hotel close to Fenway Park as the main part of my trip was a ball game. I wanted a decent hotel and know Holiday Inn will usually supply this. My reservation was for two nights.
The front desk staff were very friendly when I checked in. They gave me breakfast coupons and dinner vouchers which were included with my room.
I had a late check in of 8:30pm. Room service and the restaurant closes at 9pm. The room was nothing special. The rooms ring an inside atrium and have no windows to the outside. The windows actually face into the atrium.
Breakfast was the usual buffet, again nothing special.
My big issue came after I checked out. In my haste, I left a souvenir glass from Cheers and small table tripod for my camera. I contacted the hotel on Monday when I notice the items were missing. It took housekeeping until Wednesday to return my call. I told them of my mistake and they checked the lost and found but the items were not turned in. Both items may have cost 30 bucks total but it was the principle that hotel staff did not follow hotel protocol. The person in housekeeping seemed indifferent to my issue so I asked to speak with the manager. The manager seemed to understand the issue and offered to replace the glass and mail it to me without any prompting from me. For this act I was very happy as it seemed he took the matter a little more serious.
The hotel is OK for a quick trip, a bit pricey but it is Boston most of the staff tried to help where they could..
I think my mistake of forgetting the items and how it was initially handled had jaded me on this hotel. I hope anyone else's stay will be better and perhaps protocol will be followed when appropriate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Boston Brookline, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear iamdean,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a detailed review. I am pleased to know that you had a good experience at check in. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to your experience with our housekeeping. I am glad though that this was addressed in a timely manner and I want to assure you that your comments of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Boston Brookline? Share your experiences!