“Best place to stay in Boston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Samuel Sewall Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brookline
The Samuel Sewall Inn
You added The Samuel Sewall Inn to your Saves list
143 St. Paul Street, Brookline, MA 02446   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Brookline B&B and Inns
“Best place to stay in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time at this hotel and absolutely aspect of it was exceptional. The Inn is located in perhaps the best part of Boston, with convenient access by the "L", which allowed us to get anywhere at virtually any time with two cheap 7 day passes. The setting is quiet, safe, and attractive. Trader Joes very nearby to get food. You have your own fridge for each floor to store anything you buy, which was convenient.
There is a nice patio area on the side of the hotel with umbrellas. Lovely place to sit out on a Summer night. Any staff that were smoking out on the patio were very polite and gave us the whole space.
The staff on the whole were helpful, courteous, generous and pleasant. On our arrival, the host, Astrid, was there to help us settle in, give us directions, advice for local restaurants. Prior to staying here, she and the rest of the staff were also helpful in communicating with us and answering questions. No surprises or exorbatant prices. Great value for everything, Fresh cookies, water, and snacks available every day- all delicious. The room service was excellent, including the weather report for the day. Plenty of newspapers available in the morning. Breakfast was very good quality, plenty of it, and included options for people who may not want to eat meat. Rooms are warm, cosy, intimate. Bathrooms are well supplied.
I don't believe there was a single negative side to staying here. Thank you very much for providing such great accommodation. My girlfriend and I will be sure to stay again some time soon!

Room Tip: Any rooms available are high standard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Montgomery, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at The Samuel Sewall Inn while dropping our daughter off at Boston University for a summer program. Absolutely love the bed and breakfast the the helpful staff.

The bed and breakfast is an adorable house with very fine hardwood trimming, hardwood floors and adorably decorated rooms and dining room.

Samuel Sewall is very close to Coolidge Corner, which in adorable strip if shopping and old style movie cinema.

I can't wait until my next stop to the bed and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to our stay here but our ground-floor room fell a little short of expectation, with a settee not fit for human posteriors (I could feel the springs through the upholstery). The cramped breakfast room does not invite relaxing and makes a poky, cluttered first impression. (Sometimes breakfast is served across the street in the inn's more expansive and welcoming sister property, the Bertram Inn.) That said, the Samuel Sewall offers pretty good value for Boston. It's well located a short walk from the T and you can even walk to the MFA if you're feeling more energetic than we were. Service is friendly and helpful. Unlike many hotel rooms, ours was well lit for reading and I can't fault the comfort of the king-size bed that doubled as our seating. Our bathroom was equipped for a wheelchair, although we didn't need that feature. Tip: Check out the Bertram across the street. From what I could see during one breakfast there (including a glimpse of a baronial room), it offers all the benefits of the Samuel Sewall without the downside.

• Stayed July 2013
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Website pictures make rooms and exterior appear nicer than they are but a great location near the T, Fenway, and restaurants. Our room #3 and the common area are a bit worn around the edges. Bathroom was tiny. Very small seating area for breakfast. Breakfast OK with one hot dish, pastry choices and fruit. Nothing special but certainly adequate. Nice welcome and friendly staff. Rates seem high for what we got, but its Boston.

Room Tip: No elevator. Stay on main floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times while in the area for business and highly recommend it. The room I've stayed in is comfortable and had more than enough space - the bed, the shower, towels, bathroom amenities are all really comfortable.
The breakfasts are a real treat - there's one hot dish (blueberry ricotta pancakes, individual bread puddings, eggs with salmon, etc.) and several cereals, fresh breads, a fresh fruit salad, yogut, and 3 varieties of New England coffee. They also offer snacks during the day - granola bars, nuts, cookies, and more coffee and tea.
The Inn is walking distance from the Longwood Medical area and overall the neighborhood is great to walk in and there are so many restaurants a short walk away.
The staff at the Inn are always friendly - not just courteous but friendly - adding to the charm.
They have also been accommodating when I have had to make last minute changes to my reservation - they have responded quickly to my emails and have been understanding.
The rates are very reasonable too.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband & I recently stayed at the Samuel Sewell Inn for several nights when I needed to go to Boston for medical consultations, and will likely be back each year. The staff was wonderfully accommodating (thank you Julia, Irma, Dan, & Renee), breakfasts were homemade & satisfying, and the room was comfortable. Julia's recommendation of her favorite restaurant, Lineage, was truly a hit. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was in Boston for my first solo trip on business, but stayed an extra 2 days for fun... This was my first experience at a B&B and would stay at the Samuel Sewell Inn again in a heart beat.. The Inn keepers where very friendly and helpful. The rooms where just what I was looking for; home away from home. I felt very safe and as a woman traveling solo is a high priority. Thank you for your hospitality and welcoming demeanor.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Samuel Sewall Inn? Share your experiences!