“A bit faded but good value for Boston” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Samuel Sewall Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brookline
The Samuel Sewall Inn
You added The Samuel Sewall Inn to your Saves list
143 St. Paul Street, Brookline, MA 02446   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Brookline B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A bit faded but good value for Boston”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to our stay here but our ground-floor room fell a little short of expectation, with a settee not fit for human posteriors (I could feel the springs through the upholstery). The cramped breakfast room does not invite relaxing and makes a poky, cluttered first impression. (Sometimes breakfast is served across the street in the inn's more expansive and welcoming sister property, the Bertram Inn.) That said, the Samuel Sewall offers pretty good value for Boston. It's well located a short walk from the T and you can even walk to the MFA if you're feeling more energetic than we were. Service is friendly and helpful. Unlike many hotel rooms, ours was well lit for reading and I can't fault the comfort of the king-size bed that doubled as our seating. Our bathroom was equipped for a wheelchair, although we didn't need that feature. Tip: Check out the Bertram across the street. From what I could see during one breakfast there (including a glimpse of a baronial room), it offers all the benefits of the Samuel Sewall without the downside.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Website pictures make rooms and exterior appear nicer than they are but a great location near the T, Fenway, and restaurants. Our room #3 and the common area are a bit worn around the edges. Bathroom was tiny. Very small seating area for breakfast. Breakfast OK with one hot dish, pastry choices and fruit. Nothing special but certainly adequate. Nice welcome and friendly staff. Rates seem high for what we got, but its Boston.

Room Tip: No elevator. Stay on main floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times while in the area for business and highly recommend it. The room I've stayed in is comfortable and had more than enough space - the bed, the shower, towels, bathroom amenities are all really comfortable.
The breakfasts are a real treat - there's one hot dish (blueberry ricotta pancakes, individual bread puddings, eggs with salmon, etc.) and several cereals, fresh breads, a fresh fruit salad, yogut, and 3 varieties of New England coffee. They also offer snacks during the day - granola bars, nuts, cookies, and more coffee and tea.
The Inn is walking distance from the Longwood Medical area and overall the neighborhood is great to walk in and there are so many restaurants a short walk away.
The staff at the Inn are always friendly - not just courteous but friendly - adding to the charm.
They have also been accommodating when I have had to make last minute changes to my reservation - they have responded quickly to my emails and have been understanding.
The rates are very reasonable too.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband & I recently stayed at the Samuel Sewell Inn for several nights when I needed to go to Boston for medical consultations, and will likely be back each year. The staff was wonderfully accommodating (thank you Julia, Irma, Dan, & Renee), breakfasts were homemade & satisfying, and the room was comfortable. Julia's recommendation of her favorite restaurant, Lineage, was truly a hit. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was in Boston for my first solo trip on business, but stayed an extra 2 days for fun... This was my first experience at a B&B and would stay at the Samuel Sewell Inn again in a heart beat.. The Inn keepers where very friendly and helpful. The rooms where just what I was looking for; home away from home. I felt very safe and as a woman traveling solo is a high priority. Thank you for your hospitality and welcoming demeanor.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've stayed at both the Samuel Sewall and Betram Inns on numerous occasions while visiting Boston. Not once have I been disappointed! I LOVE the quaint antique decor and delicious hot breakfasts that are served every morning. In the winter there's even a fireplace to keep you toasty and warm. The staff are amazing, so friendly, and now know me by name. In the summer there are beautiful flower gardens and you can sit outside on the patio while enjoying breakfast. The breakfast spread is outstanding - hot meal (had banana stuffed french toast last time), beautiful fruit salad, organic yogurt, english muffins, hard boiled eggs and the list goes on. I've stayed in a bunch of different rooms (all have super comfortable beds with very expensive mattresses) and have been helped on numerous occasions by the staff to find the right fit for the nature of my trip. I can't say enough great things about this place. It truly feels like a second home to me and I will continue to stay here and only here whenever I'm in Boston!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have just returned home to England having spent 6 nights at this Inn. We had a very warm greeting on our arrival late in the night. The lady gave us loads of useful information to help us settle in.We were given free passes to Museums. Room 7 is perfect for a relaxing break. The breakfast at this Inn and their sister Inn over the road is endless as are the complementary hot drinks and cookies during the day. It is located in a quite position just off the main road but only 2 minutes from the T Line which takes you in all directions. Worth the money - Go and see for your self - you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 7 on first floor has double aspect view, beautifully furnished and very spacious with an open f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Samuel Sewall Inn? Share your experiences!