“The sister restaurants in Watertown and Cambridge are excellent, but this place was horrible!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super Fusion

Improve this listing
Ranked #51 of 173 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Sushi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

My girlfriend and I regularly visit the Super Fusions in both Watertown and Cambridge and the sushi, the service and the cleanliness is amazing. We assumed that the third restaurant in Brookline would be on par with the other two. We were wrong! As soon as we walked in we noticed that the place felt a bit grimy. Trying not to judge a book by it's cover we though we'd give it a shot anyways. We ordered the miso soup and several different, not overly exotic sushi rolls. The miso soup came and appeared normal enough but we soon discovered that it was stone cold. Rather than properly remaking the soup the waitress nukes them in the microwave. Not a big deal I suppose, but this turned out to be the least of our problems. The sushi came and for anyone who orders sushi on a regular basis you can recognize good sushi from bad. This sushi was the latter. The rice was mushy, the fish looked off color, and the rolls were falling apart. The shrimp tempura also had a burnt taste to it suggesting that the oil it was fried in was in need of a change. The sliced pickled Ginger served with almost every sushi order also appeared dried up and pale.

We ended up not eating almost half of our order. Our waitress rather than asking if everything was ok, simply cleared the plates away. Surprised by the low quality of the food we thought we'd just chalk it up to a place we probably wouldn't return to. What prompted me to write this review is when I finished my water and noticed that the bottom of my drinking glass was cloudy. Upon a closer inspection I ran my finger along the bottom of the glass nd came up with a finger of black I don't know what. When I checked my girlfriend's glass i found the same thing. When I showed the waitress she looked at us blankly and shrugged as if this was not a concern. When we asked to see a manager we were tolded that there was no manager on at that time. After some conversation/argement the waitress agreed to void the check, however not so much as an apology was offered for the cold food, or filthy glassware.

Disappointed and discussted we left. It was unfortunate that we had such a poor experience in this place, especially when the other two locations are so good. As eating out goes you're bound to find the bad with the good, however when it comes to cleanliness and health issues I think people should be forewarned. I would however strongly recommend the Watertown location!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“The best sushi in Brookline!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

While one particular sushi place in Brookline who's name begins with an 'F' tends to get all of the buzz, Super Fusion is the real deal. I've never had a bad roll from Super Fusion and the edamame is beyond this world. You should plan to take out or come with a group of 4 people or less because there is practically no seating. Also, coming at an off hour helps because the small place can get very crowded with people pocking up orders. But the no frills atmosphere goes to show you that Super Fusion puts the quality of their food above all else and they let the sushi do the talking!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best hidden gem for sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Best hidden gem for sushi!

Boston, Massachusetts
“very generous cuts and excellent fresh sushi.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

very generous cuts and excellent fresh sushi.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing Sushi! Everything is fresh, the portions are large and it's not over priced. The only downside is that it is...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

Amazing Sushi! Everything is fresh, the portions are large and it's not over priced. The only downside is that it is very small place with little room to sit. Regardless it is definitely a hidden gem.