“Excellent Indian” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
South Yarmouth, Massachusetts
“Excellent Indian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Located in an area with many good restaurants, Rani stands out for its food, service and atmosphere. The menu is varied with both Northern and Southern Indian dishes, spiced to meet the palate of the diner. The service is friendly and professional. The owners acted as hosts and stopped by our table to chat. I learned that the experienced husband and wife team that own and operate the place take special care in the preparation of their dishes to assure fresh and healthy ingredients, using family and regional recipes from throughout India. I especially liked the Bombay Curry Soup and the Rogan Josh (spiced lamb with vegetables). The many vegetarian offerings appealed to my wife, while the kids ordered the Dosas. Our friends explored other options. All were tasty and terrific. This place is a bit more upscale than many other Indian eateries, and the pricing reflected that. However, the food is well worth it.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Tasty Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I enjoyed my meal at Rani. The service was quick and friendly and overall the food tasted good. It has an okay atmosphere so probably a good option for takeout too.

San Francisco
“Nothing to write home about”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Totally Americanized, tasteless food. It is fine for someone who can not stand any spice in their food but it is not how Indian food should be prepared. This restaurant will not survive anywhere in UK, New York or SF. In proper Boston it would have had trouble as well. Pleasant decor. Strange thing was two relatively big cupful of relish. One onion and one coriander. For what? One is supposed to eat raw onion relish just as it is? Our Paneer Dosa was terrible. It was like eating plain paneer wrapped up in mediocre crepe. The Bhagis were just plain as well. Service was reasonable and it was not expensive. No reason to go back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, NE
“Great Indian Food, Fast Service, Nice Ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was initially going to visit a restaurant called the Curry House just a few doors away, but it doesn't have my favorite Indian dish, which is Bhindi Masala (okra with onions and tomatoes). Nevertheless, I was seated quickly, a server brought a couple of types of chutney (mint and spicy/tomato/ginger) and filled my water glass, and another server came to take my drink order. I was already ready to give him my food order, too, and he took it all. My salad came out quickly, and it wasn't too long after this that the entrée and roti bread were brought out. Most patrons seemed to be seated near the window, which faces Beacon Street, and I detected a nice hum of conversations, some of which were lively. The patrons seated farther into the restaurant seemed to be quieter, so it was nice to see that people with different conversation/dinner styles were accommodated. I didn't have to wait for the server to ask if I wanted dessert - I declined - and he brought my check without hesitation. The entrée, an okra dish, was tasty and the portion was generous, and the salad was a garden salad with a lemon dressing (which was a change from the yogurt-based dressing that is standard). All in all, a very good Indian meal in a nice atmosphere that I'd recommend to anyone who is in Brookline looking for fine Indian food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Carolina
“Really good Indian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The food was delicious. Seems like most customers were either couples or groups. But I really appreciate the service they gave me as a single business traveler. I had a great table, on time service, and delicious food. It was very convenient to my hotel (Holiday Inn) as well! The Vindaloo was great as well as the baingan bharta! Prices were what one would expect in this area.

• Visited October 2013