“really run down, overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Kosher, Eastern European, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
quincy
“really run down, overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

place needs to be renovated. how can you be serving kosher food in this dirty environment? do yourself a big favor and visit zaftigs delicattessen right up the street. you will thank me.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

62% Recommend
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“i was surprised when i walked in here. it's a sit-down restaurant, not a walk-in deli. the pickles they gave us were...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

i was surprised when i walked in here. it's a sit-down restaurant, not a walk-in deli. the pickles they gave us were great. actually, the food was great all around. what was not great was the price. I'm not sure what the typical mark-up is for kosher foods, but I paid $15 for a sandwich that, however good, could have been gotten at Marty's liquor story down the street for $6. If price is no object, or kosher food is important to you, than check it out. otherwise try marty's or zaftig's, both in walking distance.

duxbury, ma.
“Deli Ripoff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

My Wife and I had lunch at Rubin's on 11/14/08. The price of sandwiches is a total ripoff! My Wife had pastrami on rye and I had a corned beef (extra lean) on rye. The bill was $32.00! (excluding tip!) These are NOT overstuffed sandwiches. My corned beef was "dry", perhaps because I ordered "Extra Lean".
There was no generous serving of either pastrami or corned beef. I would estimate you are paying more than $40.00 a lb. for these deli meats which results in a most meager serving.
The place is small and you are squeezed into little tables.
My prior experience is with jewish deli's in NY City like the Carnegie deli, Katz's, etc. and a half of one of their sandwiches would exceed the deli meat servings at Rubin's! I expected at some $15.00 a sandwich that I would eat half of my sandwich and bring the other half back home for enjoyment later. Not so, with this meager serving..........the sandwich was not filling. There were no sides like coleslaw, potato salad, fries, etc. Just a small slice of a sour pickle.
Save your money and avoid this ripoff joint masquering as a bona fide jewish deli!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Unless you count Milk St...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Unless you count Milk St Cafe, it's the only (legally) kosher deli in Boston, so I go from time to time. The food is good, but you don't get nearly the portion sizes you would get in any NY deli, and it's pricey too. Also, service tends to be so-so. We definitely need more kosher restaurants in Boston -- these places only do well because they have a monopoly.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I've been going here for...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

I've been going here for many years, and always enjoyed the Jewish comfort food that they offer. It's a very comfortable place though a tad pricey...
When I was less health-conscious, one of my favorite indulgences was here: a hamburger with grilled pastrami on top (with a side of fries, no less...)