“Terrible service” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Golden Temple is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 172 Restaurants in Brookline
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Doing business
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington
Transit: Green line C line "Washington Square"
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Take out order for Christmas Eve. Was told it would take an hour; didn't get my order for two and a half hours! Same for many others standing their, bewildered. No explanation while waiting, no apology at any point. They seemed annoyed we were milling about!
No adjustment on the bill for the inconvenience. They got my money this time , but they lost my business from now on.
Beware on busy nights, they don't treat you right, and they don't care!

Visited December 2013

Boston, MA
“Do Not Open On Christmas!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I organized what we hoped would be a fun, family lunch at Golden Temple for Christmas Day after reading numerous rave reviews. We got our little kids and grandparents revved up to go out, arrived and were seated promptly. After that were were completely ignored for over 20 minutes...I mean, try as we might, the waitstaff averted their gaze from us completely and nobody would even walk close to where we were situated. My husband had to leave the dining area and locate the manager to get us help...and even that took more waiting afterward. I get the sense they were short staffed and just chose to ignore what they couldn't handle. Our waitress was apologetic and promptly took our order when she finally arrived. Appetizers arrived 15 minutes later and food maybe 25 minutes after that. One of our guests received the wrong order, but after all that waiting just sent it back with no hope of getting what he really wanted. The food was edible, maybe 3 stars, so at least all was not totally lost. Our table was covered with worn, hole riddled table cloths, the dishes weren't well washed...my husband's coffee cup had mystery bits floating inside and an unwashed exterior. I got the sense my water glass had prior lip marks on before my first sip. Although we were served food, we were totally ignored in between, getting refills on drinks was impossible. Our reservation was for 12pm and we finally escaped about 2:15. The whole while we watched all the other tables get consistent, friendly service. They were seated, fed and left while we waited and waited. There were masses of folks waiting to be seated (despite several empty, unused tables in the main dining area) so I assume, people like it here. I lived in the Brookline area for several years in my youth, passed this restaurant daily and it never occurred to me to go there...now I know why!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Weston, Massachusetts
“This old staple of Brookline still has good Chinese Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Today was Christmas Day and thank goodness for Golden Temple that it was one of the few restaurants open. Went with my friend for his moms 84th birthday. Other than the wait, which could have been shorter for they eventually added another room of seating for the demand for tables got too great. I would have given the restaurant the five stars if they had been more organized from the start and had not made us wait the 45 minutes for a table that they could have sat us right away.

As for the food, they still do a great job. We ordered the Potstickers, which are the fried Dumplings and they were very good, the Roast Pork that were very good and the egg roles that my friends family thought were very good, but I thought was just OK. I ordered the Chadonnay Chicken a mainstay when I go there and it was very good, could have been a little hotter. The hot string beans were very good but we sent them back to be made hotter. The Chicken Won Ton and Fried rice were very good, but the best part was at the end. The brought us an amazing chocolate cake birthday cake for my friends mom. Who would think a Chinese restaurant would have a 5 star chocolate desert. So if you go and want to get desert, definitely order the chocolate desert, it is worth the 6 or 7 bucks they charge for it. As for the atmosphere of the restaurant it is very nice but can be loud when full.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Is this a club?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Golden Temple provides a modern environment with a classy feel. The E room bar has late night eating, drinking, and music provided by their house DJ. It goes from restaurant to nightclub before you even know what happened. Their menu has a variety of options, some unique to the restaurant as well as other more traditional dishes. Prices are typically higher than comparable Asian restaurants but its reasonable given the freshness of their ingredients and the restaurant atmosphere. This place is guaranteed to provide you with a fun night.

Visited October 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Hidden nightclub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

So this place is a chinese restaurant by day, and a night club by night. I went there for the night scene and had a blast! Small but active dance floor. Funky architectural interior- a bit dated- but still fun. Drinks were strong, (which is a good thing in my opinion) but pricey. Scorpion bowl wasnt worth the money to me, too sweet and not enough alcohol, but some other people in our group loved it.

Visited November 2013