“Longwood Inn is not the Inn at Longwood Medical but maybe a smarter way to go!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Longwood Inn

You added Longwood Inn to your Saves list
Longwood Inn
123 Longwood Ave., Brookline, MA 02446   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Brookline B&B and Inns
Winchendon, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

There are two places to stay on Longwood Avenue. They are both near Children's Hospital. This one, Longwood Inn, is much cheaper but down the road in Brookline. The other place is the Inn at Longwood Medical and it is in Boston right next door to Children's. Both are located on the same street, Longwood Ave.

The Longwood Inn is a ten to fifteen minute walk to Children's.
The pros: It would be great in warm months if you had to go to Children's Hospital. It was very clean and homey.
The cons: There were no hair dryers and it was hard to reach someone on the phone during business hours.
Back to the pros: When I did reach a person, after many tries, they were gracious, very accommodating and helpful when our plans went awry. They were also true to their word. That goes a long way these days.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I chose this Inn because it was located just a few blocks from my 82 year old Mother's condo (too small for me to stay with her) and the price was right. $116/night which is about half of all the other places I looked. The room I had was on the third floor (no elevator) which was fine, the Manager John asked if this was OK with me before making my reservation. The bathroom was small, but the fixtures clean and in working order. The bed was good. I have a bad back and usually walk around like I am crippled when I sleep on hotel beds. Not here, not one twinge in my back. There is a full kitchen, a coin-operated laundry and dining room for all guests to share. OK, the down side. The stove was broken when I checked in and it was three days until it was fixed. That said, I had leftovers and the microwave worked. In the middle of my stay, the washing machine broke. It was not fixed for the entire duration of the rest of my stay (3 more days). Folks spilled food on the table cloth on the dining room table and it was not changed for the entire 6 days I was there. The towels and and amenities (soap and breck shampoo) were minimalist. So if you are looking for luxury, this is not it. But for the price, they were fine. There are flat screen TVs in every room with satellite service. And you cannot beat the location. Two blocks to one MBTA line and four blocks to another one. Four blocks to a Trader Joe's, numerous restaurants, and shops. The Inn itself was quiet although the stairs squeek when folks walk on them, but the house is old, its to be exptected. There were numerous sirens all day and night because the Inn is also close to the Brookline hospital center (Beth Israel, Deaconess, Women's and Brighams, and others I think). Planning to stay here again the next time I travel to see my Mom.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Eagle River, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

we spent two nights here in a remodeled victorian home. The place is nice actually & a great location for all means of transportation, plus a neat town of Brookline. However, do not book room 24, as you have to cross the outside hallway to access your bathroom in which you also have to unlock, it is spooky in the middle of the night. The bathroom is large & clean, but very unhandy to use. Plus the room is small & only one DOUBLE BED, which was very uncomfortable, you rolled to the middle. I have not slept on a double for eons! The room was very nicely kept & clean + modernized decor. No coffee pot or coffee downstairs as promised or a hair dryer either. It is reasonably priced & we liked the place, but they do need to read their reviews and correct some things. Staff was nice & we did not mind the stairs to climb& we are 70 yrs. and good shape.

Room Tip: do not book room 24
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at Longwood recently and had a great time. The inn was easy to access from many of the subway stops. We stayed up on the third floor, so we climbed stairs, but we were prepared for that. It was clean, the room was small, but nice. The bathroom had a tub/shower combo. Beds were clean and comfortable, window A/C was available if needed, though the nights were cool during our stay. We sat out on the back deck almost every night enjoying conversation. We didn't use the kitchen, but it was nice that it was there. Our last night we had a rental car and parking was not an issue at all. I would stay there again and I would recommend it to someone as well. There is a grocery store just down the street, and many restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different, ours had a tub/shower but our friends who were right down the hall had...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jerusalem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Nothing special in terms of fittings, furniture and finishes, but an excellent price in an excellent location with free parking. Had the separate apartment (#10) with an outside entrance, porch, full kitchen/living room and private bedroom. Slept three for three nights. Worked well. Within walking distance of all conveniences. Biggest negative -- whoever had the room before us left a stench (fish?), which the staff helped ameliorate by providing cinnamon and cloves which we kept on a small flame on the range whenever we were in the room. Rates very good for the price ($189/night for three); would be only good if it were higher priced. Staff was very cordial.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Inverkeithing, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Loved staying at the Longwood Inn. We stayed in the apartment which had everything we needed for a 1 week stay. Great having own front door and with patio table and chairs , with views over the playing fields. Laundry facilities and the ability to cook at home was really welcome. Very near tram stops to Boston , but with restaurants and shops in Brookline, there is no need to always go into Boston . Near Trader Joes supermarket , so very handy for a carry out food and drink. We walked straight from the door to Jamaican Pond - very scenic. Would def stay here again if I was in the area .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were originally booked in to stay two nights but ended up sneaking out after very bad night there.

We we after reasonably priced accommodation in Boston (which by the way is horrendously expensive) where we could park our car and I found this place on TripAdvisor. The reviews where generally pretty positive, so I went ahead and booked and paid for two nights.

Upon check in we were given a double room on the top floor and had to haul two very heavy suitcases up three flights of very narrow twisting stairs. Not an easy task and I ended up throwing my back out.

The room was clean but an absolutely tiny shoebox, with a double bed and a very small ensuite bathroom. The bed had no support whatsoever and did not help my back at all. I ended up having a shocking night's sleep and my wife and I crept out early the next morning, vowing to not come back. I know that I have given up a night's accommodation but I couldn't spend another night there. Will find another place out of town. Sorry guys, but you need to lift your game...

I normally don't like to give bad reviews on TripAdvisor, but thought that you better know our experience before you book. Maybe the Queen rooms on lower floors are larger, but unless you're travelling alone, pack light and don't mind an unsupportive bed, find somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Longwood Inn? Share your experiences!