“Not terrible” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 Brookline B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“Not terrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The first night we stayed in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Room and the second and third nights we stayed in the Symphony Room. I checked very thoroughly and did not find any bed bugs as I have read in previous comments.
The rooms were semi-clean...not spotless but not grungy either.
The staff was friendly and breakfast was fine. They don't advertise a gourmet breakfast, so there was no disappointment with the cereal, bagels and muffins that were provided.
The location of the Inn alone was worth the money. The Green Line is almost directly outside, making traveling anywhere in Boston extremely convenient.
I reserved a parking spot ahead of time and did not have any issues.
Overall, it was a good experience and I'd stay at the Beacon Inn again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I reserved a parking space and was informed that i MUST park within the yellow lines or my car would be towed. My rental car didn't fit so I parked elsewhere. The parking fee was NOT refunded even though I was told it would be if the car didn't fit. I will not waste my hard earned money here again. The "breakfast" was laughable and they ran out of washcloths. We travel to Boston twice a year to visit family, and have NEVER been treated this way elsewhere. I will just stay some where else from now on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in the filthy run down place and awoke to bed bug bites all over our bodies. The rooms were filthy, bathrooms were more than filthy, the walls were stained, the place smelled like mold, and they are misrepresenting the place as being a "bed and breakfast". There were kid sized boxes of cereal and a Keurig coffee maker... not quite what one expects for a bed/breakfast. After telling the manager about our bug bites, he said that he doubted that it happened in their hotel and could not have been any less caring. (we NEVER asked for anything, just needed him to know that the bed was infested) The only good thing about this dump was, the young college kids working there were pleasant. The health department needs to come take a look at this place and shut it down.

Room Tip: bed bugs!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
We have thoroughly inspected the premises and found no signs of a bed bug infestation in this or any other room. The rooms are professionally inspected regularly for any signs of activity and we have special mattress and box spring covers designed to protect against these issues. Additionally the staff is trained to search for any evidence of a problem when cleaning and visually inspecting rooms. When we knew about this complaint we immediately took steps to thoroughly inspect the room in question. As stated above, there was no evidence found that would indicate such a problem in our hotel. Despite assuring the guest that we found no evidence, the guest still chose to post this review, although we had already determined no issue existed. We explained to the guest that we took the complaint very seriously but upon thorough investigation we had determined that this problem did not come from our hotel.

As far as the other issues presented in this review, our breakfast is advertised as a light continental breakfast and includes bagels, English muffins, and an assortment of pastries in addition to cold and hot cereal and coffee and tea available throughout the day. This is similar to what is offered by other bed and breakfast hotels in the area. Our guest rooms are cleaned thoroughly by our housekeeping staff and inspected by our front desk hosts and if any deficiencies had existed they should have been brought to our attention so we could have remedied them immediately. There is no evidence of mold in our bathrooms including the one in this guest room and the smell this guest complains about simply does not exist in our hotel. Finally, in accordance with local and state regulations, we are regularly visited by the health department and have always received exemplary ratings during our inspections.
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The building is very old and squeeky, almost haunted looking. The breakfast consists of cereal and toast. But Kenmore Square is a short walk away with restaurants and take-out places. But I booked a non-smoking room, and got a room reeking of old sigarettes. It was actually pretty disgusting. The only positive side of my stay was the helpful receptionist, and clean towels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We were glad our front desk could be of service to this guest throughout her stay, however there are some serious misrepresentations in this review that we would like to clarify. The Beacon Inn is a historic Boston brownstone built in the late 1800s. Our building features beautiful original woodwork and period details such as wide-plank hardwood floors and ornamental fireplaces. (You may look at the pictures at the top of this page and on our website for reference.) The fact that our charming hotel is "very old" is a selling point for most visitors. As far as quality of our breakfast, this guest checked out before breakfast service begins at 8:00am, so these comments are neither informed nor accurate. As advertised, we serve a light continental breakfast consisting of bagels, English muffins, and an assortment of pastries in addition to cold and hot cereal and coffee and tea available throughout the day. We would also like to point out that in accordance with local laws, our rooms are entirely smoke-free and we take violations of this policy very seriously. No one has been allowed to smoke in these rooms for many years. After reading this review, we immediately made a further inspection of the room in question and did not find any evidence of cigarette smoke.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the beacon inn this past week. Let me tell you my stay was amazing! First off the hostess Andrea was the nicest lady in the world, helped me with directions around town, my room and anything I needed. Best hostess I've ever dealt with!!
The rooms were really nice, great location in town, very clean and the a.c was at a perfect setting. If I ever make back to Boston I'm staying there again.
Thanks so much!!

• Stayed September 2013
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
We appreciate your kind feedback and we hope to see you again! Our hosts are always happy to provide directions, restaurant recommendations, and more for our guests.
Bilbao, España
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The place was good, the room was big and very comfortable, with a fridge where you could store some food or beverages. The staff was very nice and helpful. There're two locations for Beacon Inn, be sure to book the right one. The I choose, 1087 Beacon St is just in front of the Tube (T), so it's very easy to get to the center of Boston. You can't park outside the place at night, so be careful and book a parking spot if you bring a car (you can do that with the help of the staff in reception).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Beacon I, Manager at Beacon Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! We hope you think of us again if you return to the area. As far as our parking, we do offer limited spaces at both locations and we simply ask that our guests call in advance to reserve a spot and we will always do our best to accommodate your needs!
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

On a whim we stayed at the Beacon Inn. Ali was very accommodating and helpful. I love the old character of the brownstone style and the Inn has that. Our room was spacious, comfy and clean:) one thing that upset me was the tenant in the next room was very loud coming in at 12:30-12:45AM. There are wood floors in the hallways and it echoes footsteps, keys rattling, and door knobs turning/ shutting. I happen to be a light sleeper, but even with the air on....I still was up for an hour waiting for who ever it was to finally settle into their room. Breakfast also was mediocre. A positive....you can get on the T directly across the street! So easy to get into the city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Beacon Inn? Share your experiences!