“Fantastic Food & Ambiance” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bellingham, Washington, United States
“Fantastic Food & Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Petra House has traditional decorations, tables with benches and pillows. You feel like you're in for treat, and you are. They have daily specials of traditional dishes, whch I ordered. It was truly wonderful food and I ate way too much. Don't skip the appetizers. The baba ganoush was outstanding and I don't even like baba ghanoush. That said, those who ordered off the standard gyro/kebab menu were not so impressed with their food. The meat was a little gray and wierd. Order the specialties!

Visited June 2014

WA
“Great service, good food, no beer or wine though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Very welcoming when we walked in. Because we enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, and they have no liquor license, we did take out. We were brought some tea while we waited. The food was very good, although I think eating it in the restaurant right from the kitchen would have tasted a bit better. Felafal was outstanding. If they get a beer/wine license we would be frequenting them quite often. Without it, we had a good meal but will probably not return, or perhaps for lunch.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Bad day for lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We have been to Petra House several times, for lunch and dinner, so we decided to take 3 friends with us for lunch. What a bad day! One cook, one server, and waited over an hour for service. People leaving were highly disappointed, and we needed to walk out after a way too long wait;totally unacceptable. A restaurant known for excellent food, can be a turn off when service is so poor, one is embarrassed about recommending to friends. Emailed restaurant, without a response.
Will not return or recommend.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Washington
“We will be back soon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is definitely a hidden gem, being in a small strip mall in a locale that you could easily miss if you were not looking for it.
We were VERY happy that we rolled the dice and tried Petra House out for a weekend lunch.

As others have stated, the decor is lovely and tasteful and the service is excellent.

We started out with the Baba Ghanouj as an appetizer and it was delicious. The Pita that accompanied it was fresh and yeasty smelling as though it had just been baked in someone's grandmother's kitchen.
My wife and I each ordered a full dinner and then shared just so we could get a good feel for the different dishes.
I had the Mansaf, a traditional dish of Lamb and rice. The lamb was lightly seasoned and tender. It was my idea of what the best Mediterranean pot roast might taste like. The rice was creamy and warm...this was real comfort food at it's best.

My wife ordered the Shawarma Plate, also with Lamb.
I saved this for last as it was definitely the best of everything we tried on this visit;
This was without a doubt one of the best Lamb dishes I have ever had. The seasoning had an old world quality to it and was exotic and different without being over-done...Just the right amount of each herb and spice.
Like the Mansaf, the Lamb was cooked perfectly and was tender and fresh.

If the dishes that we ordered were any indication, this is one top-notch restaurant and a nice addition to our part of Vancouver.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, OR
“Best felafel ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Felafel should be crispy on the outside, never greasy, and light and flavorful on the inside. Theirs was and I loved it. I would call this restaurant Middle Eastern, rather than Mediterranean. That said, the food is slightly different from all the rest I've had. The flavors in all the dishes I had were carefully balanced. The hummus was creamy and delicate, the babaganoush smokey, tangy and slightly garlicky. The bread was not like other pita, but was thicker and moist inside, with a bit of sweetness. The lamb schwarma had terrific flavor from the marinade. It was a bit tough because it was well done, but it wasn't grisly. As others have said, the servers are extremely gracious. It is a pretty restaurant where you can try sitting on low cushions at a brass table, if you like. They have daily special dishes I'd like to try. I will be going back.

Visited May 2014