“Worth the small detour off the interstates” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7205 NE 41st Street, Vancouver, WA 98662   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, Washington
“Worth the small detour off the interstates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We had a one night stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Vancouver, WA this past weekend. We had booked on the strength of the TA reviews. It appears to me that the enthusiasm of previous guests was fully warrented. We were visiting Vancouver for an event at Clark College, and basically just needed a comfortable place to sleep and regroup. We were booked into a King room on the 4th floor, facing south, which meant that if one opened the window there was some traffic noise from WA500--a 'semi-freeway' that connects I-5 and I-205. However with the window closed, there was no problem with noise at all. The property appears to be rather new--so everything seemed to be in good shape. The rooms, lobby and halls were clean; the room had a desk for computer work (free internet service), a fridge and microwave, plus a coffee-maker. The flatscreen tv included a DVD player (DVDs could be borrowed at the hotel for use while staying.) Adjacent to the DVD collection was a small library, again with contents available for loan to guests. The bathroom was well maintained. Between 6:30 and 9:30 a complementary breakfast is available on the ground floor. Along with muffins, toast, cinnamon rolls, juice etc. were heated offerings of scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and country gravy. There is also a machine that produces pancakes--with a big crowd it might be slow, but it was light when we were dining.

There are no other food services on the premises, but a local restaurant, "Elmer's" is about a block from the front-door; serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. It falls under the category of "family restaurant" I think, but its menu puts emphasis on Pacific Northwest specialties and brands, e.g, Ivar's Acres of Clams chowder is served.

Overall, this was a very nice place to stay. The mattress was rather too forgiving for my back, but my spouse thought it just fine. The check-in was friendly and efficient.

Perhaps the only oddity was that as we are members of the Priority Club, the clerk presented us with a small goodies bag, which included one microwave popcorn pack,and a single bottle of water--when a party of two is checking in, would it not be classier to give each visitor a small bottle of water??

As suggested above, this is a great choice for a stay, and while the access if a bit complicated--involving getting off the interstates and on to WA500 to the Andreesen Avenue exit, then 1 block north, one block east and one block north, it will be a very pleasant stay, whether overnight or for several days.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Greetings Shri420,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Vancouver Portland North. It was thoughtful in pointing out that we are one of the newest hotels in the area, I agree the Contractors took great care in both the design and materials used. It is solid.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through your eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide.

As a result of your recommendation regarding the Priority Club complimentary gift, we have instructed the Guest Service Agents to be touch more insightful by offering greater choices to the folks arriving. Please hurry back to visit in the near future.

Again thank you very much for your kind words and warm review. I will share it with our entire staff.

Truly yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Richmond, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

The property is close to a dinner behind the hotel. If you want more restaurant selection, it s about 5 mins away.

The room and the hotel are kept very clean, no complains. I would recommend to stay here

Stayed April 2012
Kim F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Hello Vanlinks,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our property. I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel clean and thank you for recommending others stay with us.

Thanks again!

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is a very well-maintained and professionally operated Holiday Inn Express. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the general manager sets a welcoming tone to the place.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kim F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Hello "Wonderfulworld" (love the account name)!

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and more so, about our staff.

Any hotel can offer a clean room, with multiple amenities - but how their customer service is delivered, is what a defines them from the other and is most likely what the guest will remember. We strive to offer the best customer service possible, making sure you feel like you were appreciated for choosing to give us your business. It means a lot to us that you took the time to share your experience with others - you just can't buy that kind of advertising - thank you!

I love to be able to put a face with a review, so the next time you are our guest, please stop by and introduce yourself to me. I am always available during our evening manager's reception and if you don't get a chance to attend that, maybe inquire if I am available at the front desk.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

My teenage son and I recently returned from an 8 day father/son spring break basketball trip in the western US. Our fun began in Vancouver, Washington where Kim Fox and her staff treated us like GOLD from the moment we arrived until the wee hours of the morning we left.

Kim and her staff redefined the highest levels of excellence, hospitality, kindness, professionalism and courtesy with each passing hour of our two night stay.

The hotel is spotless, it looks like it opened just yesterday and as clean and wonderful as the building is, the staff are just as exceptional. They genuinely care about every single guest and nobody more so than Kim, the hotel General Manager. I honestly don't think she sleeps; she's too busy serving her guests in far too many ways to count.

The evening Manager's receptions are wonderful, the DVD collection and book collection for her guests are equally impressive. The rooms are spotless, the TV's are first rate flat screens, the breakfasts are wonderful and on it goes.

We had to race to Sacramento at 4am on the day of our departure and we literally needed a U-Haul to pack the breakfast bags Kim and her staff had prepared for us. Two days later, we were still enjoying their breakfast treats which speaks volumes of how generous they were to us.

This hotel is the perfect location for visits to southern Washington State, Portland and anywhere within an hour radius of the hotel. In fact I'd stay here during my next stay in Seattle, 2.5 hours away from the hotel---it is that good!

We travel a lot in our family, both for work and for fun and we've enjoyed many wonderful hotels on the planet in our travels over the past many years. However no hotel experience has ever come even remotely close to the hotel stay we enjoyed here.

Thank you so much Kim and your wonderful team for treating us like family, in fact even better than our family treats us :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hello Isurehopeso!

By the sounds of things, you've made it back home from your amazing March madness trip with your son - what an incredible memory for both of you. Your guys enthusiasm for the tournament actually got me interested and I started following it too! When I printed a copy of the brackets for you guys to take with you to California, I printed one for me too.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our hotel, with others. As you found us by reading reviews, my hope is that others do the same and we get to make their experience with us one to remember too.

As I told you when you were our guest, myself and staff truly love what we do. Getting to meet guests like you, hearing about your trip and getting to do some little things to help make it memorable, are some of the best benefits of being in this industry.

Again, we really appreciate your kind words and certainly look forward to seeing you again, on your future travels to Vancouver - USA!

Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I travel at least 15- 20 days a month for my work. My favorite Holiday Inn Express is this one in Vancouver. I started staying here when they first opened. The staff are great and it starts the minute you walk in the door. I have never had a complaint. The manager present a social time that is a great time to relax and have a bowl of hot soup and visit with other travelers.Everything is presented with a smile. I would recommend this hotel to all travelers. Thanks so much for making my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: I always request the fourth floor. It is very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kim F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
ShirleyMax,

Thank you, thank you, thank you ~ for taking the time to do a review for our hotel. Every person at our Holiday Inn Express wants to do whatever they can, to make our guests feel that they are at the best place they can be, when they can't be at home! You obviously travel ALOT and as we all know, there are so many choices out there for you to choose from - we truly appreciate that you choose us.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Vancouver..

Benton City, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

(So that you may better evaluate the validity of this review, I've been a fairly frequent traveler for both business and vacation purposes, and have stayed at a large number of hotels/motels over the past thirty years. My main criteria for judging a hotel is simple: being able to have a comfortable night's sleep with a minimum of irritations. ) I travel to the Portland, OR, area fairly frequently for business conferences, and have found that the Vancouver Holiday Inn Express is a reasonable choice for lodging. It is convenient to freeway access which makes for easy travel for meetings scheduled anywhere in around the Vancouver, WA, area or in Portland around the Portland Airport. (Be wary of commuting into or from Portland at rush-hours as Interstate 205 heading into Portland almost always has traffic problems going over the Columbia River Bridge. I was told this visit (when I couldn't get my preferred king-size bed room), that 75% of the rooms here have two queen beds. To get a king size bed one has to request it as far in advance as possible, usually via a direct call to the hotel. I've stayed here many times in the past, and this was the first time I wasn't in a king-bedded room. The rooms are clean and the third and fourth floors anyway are quiet. The hotel hosts a free "managers reception" most week day evenings. If one doesn't want a huge dinner, these receptions (which offer things like soup) could serve as a meal. A free breakfast is also offered, and is typical of the type one gets at Holiday Inn Expresses.
Things I liked:
1.) In many hotels, the light switch near the door turns on both a light over the door and a light at the far end of the room opposite the bed(s). This arrangement makes it impossible to both turn off the entry way light while keeping on the light opposite the bed(s). In this room, the problem is resolved by having a second light opposite the beds that is not on the same switch as the entry way light.
Things I didn't like (although I'm listing more things I disliked, these are relatively minor.. my overall experience with this place has been positive.)
1.) The elevator here must be one of the slowest I've ever encountered.
2.) The room this stay with two queens was relatively small, and did not have a desk, just a small circular table and a couple of chairs. In previous stays here I've had a room with a king-size bed, Those rooms were nicely sized and had an actual desk.
3.) My preference for a heating or air conditioning system is one that has the fan running constantly, and the heating or conditioning systems cycling on and off while the fan is running. Here, when a set point is reached, the entire system (including the fan) shuts off.
4.) The toilet paper while soft was not very resistant to tearing.. I experienced the old finger-punching-through-the-paper-at-the-wrong-time events a couple of times.

Room Tip: I always prefer higher floors... this is a four-story property.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kim F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
BigJimC,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed us enough to come back several times. :-)

Thanks for the props about our Manager's Social. It certainly is a key factor in many guests returning to stay with us.

Although we do not have many king bedded rooms at our property, we do offer the exact same amenities in every room and the rooms with 1 king or 2 queens are actually the exact same size, so even when you don't get your desired king, you still get to enjoy all of the same amenities. They one key difference, as you noted, is the shape of the desk. The king bedded rooms have the rectangular desk and the 2 queen bedded rooms have the round activity table with 2 chairs.

Just a note for you and anyone reading our reviews, if you book a king room - we do reserve this for you. We don't change anyone's reservations. When booking on line, only the available room types will appear, so there shouldn't be any surprises when you arrive.

On your next stay with us, please ask us about a way to keep your HVAC unit fan on continuously - there is a way to do this, and we would be happy to show you so your stay will be more comfortable.

Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate the feed back and look forward to seeing you again.

southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Great casual place with outstanding service and helpful staff. More like staying with family than a hotel chain. I love the nightly reception with beer/wine and light food that is home made. If you are busy and can't go out for dinner you can get by with just this. Plus the common room is comfortable, spacious and you can work or meet with others in your party here for hours.

Room was in good shape and beds were good. Not much in the way of fitness here; the pool is inside but tiny.

Great business traveler hotel. If I were staying more than two nights I would opt for a property with better fitness center.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Gonebutnotdeparted (love the screen name!),

What a great title for a review - Comfortable - and this is exactly what we want you to be when you are our guests!

I love when guests get the opportunity to visit our nightly social. That is actually my favorite part of the day - getting to visit with our guests, catching up with the regulars and meeting the new ones that have just discovered we are here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review for us - this is the best way for potential guests to find out why they should stay with us, and I appreciate it so much.

We look forward to seeing you again, on your next visit to Vancouver.

Kim Fox

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vancouver Portland North? Share your experiences!