“Rustic is the Word” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Camas, Washington
“Rustic is the Word”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

The notion of rustic strikes you almost immediately by the peculiar rise of a massive log beamed structure out of the wasteland of a non-descript office park placed behind a suburban mall. The entrance is reminiscent of a grand hotel, but the rustic nature of the logs, native sculptures and canoes strewn around a small koi pond makes one think of a national park lodge from a grander era. This keeps going into the lobby with more totems and kayak skeletons, as well as in the rooms with faux-branch finish on pictures and mirrors.

The hotel is basically laid out like the suburban convenience hotel that the Heathman is. It feels (and is priced) like a Fairfield or Mariott Courtyard, but the front desk and service is a notch better, it has a large pool and exercise room and a basic business center and free internet. Perhaps the best analogy would be with a Sheraton, Hilton or a Westin without the ridiculous overcharges for every minor service.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and I finally got a chance to try out a Tempurpedic mattress for the first time (OK, but I won't be buying one.)

The restaurant is extremely good and a definite plus, but even if you get a "breakfast included" deal don't count on much choice. The free options are very limited and the full menu is very tempting.

This hotel is a strange and very welcome hybrid of a suburban business hotel and really comfortable high end place.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Hopping restaurant and lounge is a little noisy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My daughter and I made a trip to Portland, Oregon in December in order for my daughter to interview for jobs and find a house to rent. I chose The Heathman Lodge after finding it online and falling in love with the rustic charm. And the price was very affordable, too. Well, that was just the beginning! When we arrived, I was greeted by a giant log cabin that was every bit as warm and inviting as the ad. But the real pleasure was walking inside the gorgeously appointed lobby complete with North Pacific decor, fireplaces, soaring ceilings and the most wonderful scent of evergreen!! And it only got better and better after that. I can't even go into all the details, but I can tell you that every detail was covered. The staff was absolutely wonderful, the food was so good I stuffed myself silly and the accomodations were perfect, complete with Pendleton bedspreads, leather, antler and iron sconces and nice, quiet ventilation systems! The spirit of this lodge was genuine, from the sustainable architecture, native art, locally produced vegetables, free range chickens and eggs, organic beef, all of which spoke volumes of the intention of this wonderful haven. But the icing on the cake was when the Columbia River Gorge area was fluffed and iced with the biggest snowstorm in 70 years and we got snowed in! My daughter was due for an important job interview and we couldn't get out! Chains were required on the roads and some roads were even closed. If it hadn't been for Ray, the facilities manager at The Heathman Lodge, she never would have made it and the whole trip would have been a wash (although a very nice one for me!). Ray was the angel who magically appeared, unasked, and not only scraped and de-iced our rental car, but he personally drove my daughter to her interview SE of Portland in his truck (with chains)!! i have never met a more generous and sincerely benevolent person and I cannot say enough about him. I could tell he is like this every day of his life. She got the job.
I can't wait to return to the Portland area so I can say hello to all the friends I made at The Heathman Lodge in wonderful Vancouver, Washington, and to personally thank them for the best stay I've ever had anywhere, and I mean that sincerely.

• Liked — Northwest serenity, rustic charm, proximity to Portland and airport
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

The entire hotel staff from the front desk to the housekeeping staff was simply amazing. They did more then accomidate our group of 20+. We were in town for a soccer tournament, and the staff made us feel as if we were right at home.

Thank you for such great service at a beautiful place.

M.Monasmith

• Liked — The Theme, The Service
  • Disliked — Having to leave at the end of our trip.
  • Stayed August 2008
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

I loved the rustic, log decor and the Andy Warhol prints in the lobby. The room was very large and had a small kitchenette w/refrigerator & coffee maker. The closet was large & there was a desk area as well. Everything was clean. After staying in the tiny room at Sage Inn in Santa Fe, NM for more money, I was absolutely impressed at the value of this place. It's right across the river from Portland, so location is not bad either. We only stayed one night, but I would've loved to stay more. We met a very friendly local in the bar that turned us on to some really good wine & recommended the restaurant. So, we had dinner in Hudson's and it was incredible! I had a pork sirloin with maple cream & apples & some other stuff that was locally grown; I ate the whole thing. Dinner is a bit pricey, but well worth it. This is a great warm, cozy hotel even though it's quite big.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

This is a great rustic hotel to stay in Vancouver. It has a very nice touch and people are very willing to accomodate your wishes. I had a king size bedroom which looks, smells very well. Also had a balcony (not all rooms have balcony though). I would compare the quality of my stay here to any Kimpton Hotel you may stay; I think that this lodge is even better that Hotel Monaco in Portland and it's half of its price also. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — quality of rooms
  • Disliked — no free breakfast included
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Washington state
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

For the last 2 Christmas' my husband and I have stayed here (the company he works for has their Christmas party here). I am already excited about going back this year! This place is wonderful! I would suggest asking for one of the rooms with the in-room jetted tub-it is a lovely corner tub and the room also has a two person sized shower stall AND a TV in the bathroom that you can see from the tub! The lodge itself is a beautiful building--very rustic looking. It is located next to the Vancouver mall, which is great for us. We can go to the party, go up to our room after, get up the next morning refreshed for a day of Christmas shopping.

• Liked — The beautiful room! Close to GREAT shopping!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

This hotel is perfect. We stayed on the 4th floor which is the business floor. Everything was clean and quite. There is a small fridge and microwave in the room which really comes in handy. The continental breakfast offered is good with waffles, pasteries, bagels, hard boiled eggs, cheese and fruit as well as juices and milk. The front desk staff is very helpful and always willing to answer any questions. Everyone should stay here if they are in the area.

Restaurant Tip: Beaches located just a short distance away is on the river and the food and service are spectacular.

• Liked — Everything.
  • Disliked — Nothing it was the best.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Heathman Lodge? Share your experiences!