“Good location, but outdated beds” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Vancouver
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Good location, but outdated beds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I stayed at the Heathman Lodge for a getaway to Portland, OR. The location is ok for downtown Portland but I recommend staying closer such as near the Portland airport. It was a hassle to drive back and forth. The hotel grounds were beautiful and the hotel was located in a good location, near the highway and close to convenient stores. However, the beds they have in their rooms are outdated and very uncomfortable. They are memory foam, but not good quality. My husband and I actually slept on the floor the second night because they were so uncomfortable. I have never been to a hotel that has memory foam mattresses. They are generally cheaper than regular spring mattresses so I think that's why Heathman Lodge uses them and has not updated them. There is also a restaurant attached to the Lodge which makes for loud noise at all hours. We stayed in room 252 which was luckily not over the balcony. Also, upon check-in we asked for an upgrade, but the clerk informed us that upgrades were not allowed for priceline guests. It kind of irks me that hotel staff "talk down" to priceline/hotwire guests. Aren't they the ones who posted their property on 3rd party websites due to low usage? I would not recommend this to anyone due to 2 consecutive nights of poor sleep among other things.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
NorthPacificMgnt, Manager at Heathman Lodge, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Hello rchin341 -

Thank you for taking time to write about your stay with us, I am sorry to hear about your concerns. We take pride in providing a great nights sleep for our guests, which is why we have different style mattresses available. The memory foam mattress you write about is in fact a Tempur-Pedic mattress that retails for over $2,000, and not a low grade memory foam. We get rave reviews from our guests regarding these mattresses, but we know that they are not for everyone, which is why we also offer "Pillow Top" spring mattresses. I wish you had told us about your first night so we could have moved you into a guest room with our "Pillow Top" mattress.

While we do enjoy partnering with our 3rd party websites, one of the benefits of booking directly through our hotel is the ability to offer upgrades if they are available. I apologize for how it was presented to you and will talk with the staff to make sure we explain this more clearly in the future.

I would be happy to discuss your stay in detail please contact me directly at 360-254-3100 x6510.

Yours Truly,

Brian McClary
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Wausau
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

The hotel décor was unique and very lovely. Very nice pool area, sauna, and workout area. Our room was comfortable and spacious. All the staff was very helpful. For the price, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Onoway, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Stayed last night on our way to Southern California. This place came recommended by a friend. The building itself is impressive. Beautiful architecture. Staff at front desk was friendly. We has a room on the fourth floor. Beds were a little uncomfortable but ok. Shower was painful. The shower head was not good and the water seemed to be stinging you. We got complimentary continental breakfast which was waffles, cereal, toast, bagels etc. Check out was a breeze. Will recommend to friends.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Spokane, Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I was here for a four day school and we were booked into fourth floor business class rooms. Far more floor space than I needed and I enjoyed it immensely when not in school. Bed was very comfortable. Room had coffee maker, fridge and microwave at no additional cost or request. Bathroom had its own sink in addition to the one outside of the bathroom...when traveling with a companion that makes a difference. Free washer and dryer; just have to pay for the soap. Restuarant (Hudson's) was very good, a little pricey but worth it. Shopping was within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
La Quinta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This hotel visit was unsatisfactory on several accounts. There was a deficiency in room lighting, an unpleasant experience in the dinning room resulting from a flying insect served in a wine glass and substandard service in the dining room.

Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I attended a four day seminar then stayed on for three more days. The staff is excellent because they are relaxed, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and genuine. It sounds like an exaggeration but it is not. The rooms are rustic quaint and tidy. If you want a relaxing home base for exploring the area (which is awesome for hiking sightseeing, mountain adventures etc) this is the place to be. If you are after a big party nightlife vacation Portland may be a better option. If you want a bit of both, Portland is not very far away from this lovely and chilled spot too. This is the third year we have been coming here and counting....great every time.

Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I love this hotel, it feels like home. That said, if it were my home, I'd be doing some basic updating of the carpeting etc. That area needs a refresh.

It's a nice hotel, the PacNW decor is beautiful, the hot tub is hot enough, the pool is clean enough, the sauna works fine and they have a nice assortment of gym equipment. What sets this hotel apart is THE FOOD. Nothing is bad here that I can see. They have a great happy hour with a nice bar menu.

I ordered room service, that was wonderful too, however it came on a plastic tray without even a glass of water or condiments. A little sparse. Be sure to ask for water.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Been to Heathman Lodge? Share your experiences!