“Big Regret!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Vancouver
Temple City, California
“Big Regret!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Horrible experience. Assigned to a room on the lower floor with no river view but people walking outside the window. When I call front desk, the lady said I have to pay extra $25 to upgrade to river view since I book through a 3rd party site, we feel very deceiving! I have been contacting the Red Lion customer service and no reply.
Besides, we picked the hotel thinking that it's close to Portland. The hotel shuttle service and public transportation was so inconvenience and end up we spent more $$ on transportation. So if you plan to travel Portland, we recommend to stay at downtown hotels.

Room Tip: Cannot book through 3rd party site. Otherwise there will be an upgrade fee.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Good Afternoon Sophia Y,

Thank you for your response regarding your recent stay at the Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay. I'm disappointed to hear that the experience was not what you expected. It is true that our room types vary in price, but just to clarify, this applies to any hotel patron. It is not limited to third party reservations. However, our Red Lion Rewards members receive complimentary room upgrades. It is free to become a member. If you wish to do so please let reservations know when you make your next reservation. You will automatically get a room upgrade and a welcome amenity! You will also start earning points that can be used in a variety of ways, from airline points to stays at Red Lion Hotels and other discounts! I hope you will visit us again and give us another chance. Please contact me directly if you would be interested in setting up a reservation. It would be my pleasure to give you a tour of the facility and try to change your mind!

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Marblehead, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We started late in the day looking for an interesting location off the main Washington Oregon California Interstate. After a quarter hour poking around downtown Vancouver, WA, we made a real find. Ten minutes later, we were relaxing in the Red Lion's bar, overlooking the historic Columbia River. An early morning walk revealed the full bonus of the location. There is a river walk running past the hotel and several miles up the historic Columbia River. Just under the bridge from the parking lot is a recreation of the Hudson Bay Company's post near the end of the Oregon Trail. And adjacent to that, the U.S. Army's Vancouver Barracks site, beautifully restored, including the pre-war quarters of George C.Marshall and the Army Air Corp's adjacent air field.

As for the rooms and the property, I have read the previous reviews. I can not believe we stayed at the same hotel. We were two adult couples, each with plenty of travel experience. We were extremely happy with the Red Lion. The rooms were ample and clean. The restaurant and the bar were first rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear johnscasler,

Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate you taking the time to post your experience here. We look for ward to having you back again!

Kansas City, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the HomeWood Suites down the street for 3 nights but they were sold out so we checked in for 1 night at the Red Lion. Our room was very tiny, dirty and it was gross. There was lots of mold in corner of the shower, I counted 5 full clipped toe nails on the carpet next to the bed. I wanted to check out but we decided to go to stay because it was late. No flat screen TV, just a crappy 24 inch tube. The only reason we stayed was because after 5 nights on the road we were tired so we had drinks at the bar. The bar had fruit flies and I found it to be ok because it was Monday Night Football. I hope you're paying attention, I'm a guy who watches Monday Night Football, not difficult to please and this place was gross as in nasty. Do yourself a favor, save $99 and sleep in your car.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Hello 1Statetogo!

Yikes!! Thank you for your review of our hotel, even though it sounds like a nightmare! I would be interested to know what room you stayed in and when you were here so that i may inspect and follow up with our Housekeeping staff. I am disappointed that we were not able to deliver the product or the experience that you expected. If you are in the area again, please contact me directly to give you a tour and maybe we can change your mind! Thank you again for your feedback. It is very important to us, even if it isn't what we wanted to hear! I hope you will consider giving us another chance!

SIncerely,

Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Giving this dump 1 star is 1 star too many. Where do I start? For some reason I chose this red lion hotel as the place to have my wedding reception, that was my mistake. The events coordinator Carol was the one who was supposed to put the event together. She showed me the banquet room we were renting 3 times, and showing me how it would be set up for our reception. All of these times I had people with me to confirm all of the details. So I have several meetings with carol and every single time she is completely unprepared. She could not ever answer any of my or my mothers questions regarding prices, set up times etc. Highly unprofessional! that should have been a red flag. So after being told eventually that we could come in at least the night before to decorate, the coordinator cancels that and says we cant come set up until the day of, no big deal. We show up to decorate and the room is 1/4 of the size she told me we would have ( the banquet room has folding walls), and the set up makes no sense! 100sq feet for 100 people??? I don't know how this woman is in charge of planning an event. So after telling them this isn't what we talked about she says this is what I rented and was in my contract, which was not what we agreed on when she showed us the room. Our bridal party table was literally on the dance floor. Do these people lack common sense? Do they think 100 people will fit in such a small room and then try to convinced me that I signed up for that?? They refused to move anything. They refused to open the other partition walls to make the room bigger, which we were told we would have. The catering coordinator Kim was so unhelpful and rude! We even offered to move the tables around if they wouldn't, after all we were paying for the room why couldn't we have our table not on the dance floor? After two hours of wasted time on my wedding day we left after Kim got into a screaming match with my bridal party and refused to do anything to fix the situation. After calling The hotel manager and complaining, the catering manager Kim called me about 20 mins later and totally recanted everything she said. THANKS FOR WASTING 2 HOURS I DIDN'T HAVE ON MY WEDDING DAY!!! Do not do business here, they are highly unprofessional, rude, not to mention the service sucks. The hotel room we stayed in didn't even have a functioning toilet, and the room had an overall odor. There were room service trays sitting on the floor in the hallways for over 6 hours without being picked up, just gross. Whatever you do avoid this place at all costs. The prices are so high in general. Factor in the quality of this place aesthetically, their awful staff, and the stench, take your money elsewhere. I wont be making this mistake ever again.

Room Tip: dont even think about doing business here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello,

I'm glad we had a chance to talk this afternoon. I really appreciate your willingness to share your experience with me. I'm pleased that we have been able to address some of the issues and come to a reasonable resolution. Please contact me directly so that I can set up a reservation for you at your convience. Thank you again for your communication.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a night in hopes of having a somewhat romantic night away. First off. The rooms are way overpriced. The first room we were in had a weird smell and food in trudge from the last person to stay there. We changed rooms and it was better. The trudge in the new room wasn't even plugged in though. And the socket was missing its cover. Also around the a.c. unit was duct tape. Classy. And after tossing and turning all night and waking up to sore neck I'm pretty upset.

• Stayed October 2012
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear sixgun91,

I'm disappointed to hear that your stay with us was such a poor experience. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you, if possible. I would like to gather some information about your reservation and room number. I find it apalling that we would have duct tape on any visable piece of equipment in a guest room! I hope that you will contact me so that we can discuss some of the issues you mentioned. We appreciate you taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback. I am confident that we can provide some reasonable solutions to the problems you experienced. Thank you again for your time!

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel is nothing to speak of, and the customer service just as mediocre. For a hotel stay, you're better off at the Hilton up the street. But - BUT - the restaurant is definitely worth a visit, enough to bump my rating from 2 to 4. The prices are far lower than typical hotel restaurants but the food came out quick and perfect. It was quiet, I had a nice spot by the river where I could watch the smoke slowly trailing up from the building that had burned down across the river the night before, and for a mere $8 I got Texas (French) Toast in vanilla bean and powdered sugar, three strips of bacon, scrambled eggs, and coffee. (The Flapjack Platter!) The servers leave you alone unless you flag them over, which probably annoys some patrons who like to be pampered on but peace was precisely what I wanted, and when they did come to me they were friendly without being overbearing.

Room Tip: Forget the room. Go stay at the Hilton but come here for breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Henderson, Nv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel is in need of renovation, getting a good nights sleep is almost impossible. The first night of our four night stay we were able to get about 2 hours. The first part of the evening we heard planes, airport about 10 miles away, ships on the Columbia River, toot, toot, and the local trains who just love to sit still on a bridge and blow their horn for 20 seconds or more at about 15 minute intervals between midnight and 5 am. The room was very small and had a musty odor. We were moved to another room were we could not hear the ships or planes, but the trains, God help you. The breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired. Service was bad as you had to ask for coffee and then again for a refill.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay? Share your experiences!