“Not worth the money.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Vancouver
Washington
“Not worth the money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked this hotel for my son and his new wife's honeymoon. They were very disappointed. the room they got was very small. They went to a motel 6 and said it was much nicer then here. I will not waste my money here ever again, what a bad start for a new life...so disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't book here for a honeymoon!
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Tim1125-
Thank you for your review! I apologize that the room you stayed in was not what you had expected. We actually have a wide variety fo room types available ranging in size and price, from a Suite to a single queen some of which have views of the Columbia River. Although you do not intend to stay with us again I would like to invite you back if you are in the area. Please contact me personally and I would be pleased to give you a tour of the rooms. I am certain that we could find a larger room that would be in the same price range as the single queen where you stayed. Please do not hesitate to stop by and see what else we have to offer the next time you visit. It would be my pleasure to meet you for a chance to have you back as our guest!

Laurene Patrick
Director of Rooms
Red Lion Hotel at the Quay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
MyRyTy98
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We weren't planning to hang out here. Just a place to sleep for a few nights. The double queen room was small with only a desk chair to sit. Tube tv. Bathroom was roomy. Room was clean. That's all i ask. Bar has weird hours though which bummed out hubby who likes his night cap. Restaurant was ok. Service is spotty. Hubby loved the Prime Rib. Do i really need to ask for a spoon when ordering coffee? My husband waited for a good 10 minutes after repeated requests for a refill of creamer. Website said pancakes were included in breakfast buffet. When i asked the buffet attendant, i was brushed off. I asked the manager and he made my son a stack. A word of warning, no bfast buffet when occupancy is low. You order off menu and it takes longer if you're trying to make a quick getaway like we were. Reception staff were quick, efficient, and very nice as well. I was happy i had a Priceline rate here.

Room Tip: River view. We looked at freight trains all night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Once upon a time this Red Lion was a knockout, situated on the Columbia River with a fantastic view. But today it is a truly dated establishment with fewer pluses than minuses. We picked this Red Lion because we needed a pet friendly stop over for the Vancouver/Portland area on short notice.

Our room faced the pool area and with the sliding glass door shut we could not hear either the train or the airplanes overhead. In the morning we wanted some fresh air and with the slider open the noise level from both the planes and traffic from I-5 was unacceptable. So, no fresh air for you! The decor in the room and the furniture appeared to be relatively new so parts of this hotel have been remodeled. I did not see any bad carpet described by the other viewers so I would consider those reviews to be exaggerations. We had a ground floor room and we did hear the party above us moving around in their room - either they were a very heavy weight family or the sqeaky floors are just part of the aging process of this facility.

The bathroom is stocked with eco friendly supplies and the towels were generous and thick. The bathroom has a standard refurbished look but the big problem is the shower -- very bad shower head. Was that shower head picked for water conservation or to torture - you decide. The pillows are linen are just minimum quality for today's standards but the bed was very comfortable. The tv is not flat screen but there is WiFi and it was not slow. There is a refrigerator, microwave and coffee service provided.

As noted by other reviewers this hotel seems to cater to large groups of teen agers and conventions. Luckily for us, the large group of teens booked when we stayed had another part of the hotel. Also, we were able to park without any trouble near our room which was important because there were no luggage tolleys to be found - anywhere.

Sinced we arrived late we decided to have dinner at the hotel - our advice is to skip dining at this hotel. The prices are steep and the service was not good. We were shocked at the dining room prices so we ate in the bar. Our service was so slow, inattentive and unfriendly. Why? Obviously management is not paying attention. The food once it finally arrived was tasty -- so the cooking staff can prepare a tasty meal -- it was the service and the price. We paid just under $40 for a beer/burger and cocktail/salad dinner!

Room Tip: One of the very few pet friendly hotels in the area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

What an absolute rip off. The Red Lion at the Quay was not worth the $150 I paid for a poor quality hotel. I would have given 2 stars if the price hadn't been so silly for the quality. The siding is rotting and falling off. The TV is a small old CRT tube and many stations work poorly. The room smelled. The furniture was all beat up and left over from years before. Some minor updates had been done and the bathroom appeared clean, but wasn't worth the price. Bath products were in the tiniest containers I have ever seen. Sheet/towels were reasonable quality.

I had put in my reservation a request for a view of the water. When I got to check in, the agent had no knowledge of that (even though it is printed on my reservation) and then said it would be a $25 upgrade (which I reluctantly paid to avoid being in the rest of the hotel with all the noisy kids or view of the parking lot).

The brand new Hilton down the street I've stayed in before is less $$ and actually had upgraded for free to a nicer room without picking my pocket for more money. The ONLY thing this hotel has is location on the water. I won't be staying in ANY Red Lion again. I travel regularly for work and vacation around the world and have stayed in my share of lower quality hotels but at least the price usually reflects that. Across the river from this Red Lion is another one that is completely abandoned which suggests the company's direction if they don't get their act together.

Room Tip: Only stay on the water side unless you have kids and want to be by the pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Rafael, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I looked forward to staying at this location for some time, right on the Columbia River accross from Portlant. It needs a serious update and face lift. The folks were nice.

I would put it down as average but the staff missed my 6:30 AM wake up call and got me off to late start to the day...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Location was nice. Rooms were dingy, no hot water three days in a row!!

• Stayed June 2012
San Marcos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel has a nice view on the river; however, there isn't much else going for it. The hotel is going to be torn down in the future for a new bridge so I guess renovating the hotel is not going to happen. We changed our room so that we were not facing the train tracks all night. The train does run all night and day. Beds and room were fine and clean; but again, stuck in the seventies. The hotel staff are very nice and helpful and the food at the restaurant at night is excellent. The breakfast unfortunately left a lot to be desired and on two days they were understaffed so service was very slow. If you want to do things in Portland, this is not the hotel to stay at as it is not near the city of Portland and the town of Vancouver is cute but very little to do there.

Room Tip: Stay in a room near the river, not the tracks.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay? Share your experiences!