“They were not prepared.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Vancouver
seattle
“They were not prepared.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel overall was good. We were in town for my son's participation in WMEA All State choir and this was one of the hotels listed for families. They had a cool pool that had lots of kids in it so my kids had a blast. The front desk folks were VERY Friendly and nice. That's always a plus. The bed was comfortable and the room was decent. You can access the mall easily as it is close by. It's an older hotel and needs some new carpet but otherwise, it was clean and decent.

That being said, they did not seem prepared. Since this hotel was referred to an All state choir group, they had lots of families there. Each time we went to the pool, they had no towels, all weekend. My kids went to the counter for change for the vending machines and they were told they had none. We needed an extra blanket.....there were none. The clerk was kind but nothing was available. The breakfast room seats about 24 people but it was wall to wall with staff trying hard to keep it filled up. It just seemed as though they were understaffed or unable to cover the volume of folks that arrived.

All in all, we would stay again if we had to but might shop around and not just accept the referral given by the school district.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Schmotz,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased your children were able to utilize our pool, you found the staff friendly and nice, location acceptable and convenient, as well as finding the beds comfortable and rooms decent.

Please accept my apologies if there had been any dissatisfaction in any way during your stay. Know that it is our goal to meet and exceed all guests expectations with hopes of their chance of returning again.

We look forward to serving you and yours again soon. Thank you for staying with us, and again thank you for your review. If there is anything else I can do, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the property.

Sincere Regards,

360-253-3100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Nice room, friendly night staff. This was a busy weekend with multiple basketball teams and a high school band staying the night. Breakfast in the morning was disappointing - no coffee, half the items were not replenished and we couldn't find anyone to speak to about it. Also, there seemed to be no one manning the front desk for the better part of the morning.

Overall, if you need a cheap, clean place to sleep, this location will do.

• Stayed January 2013
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Volson71,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review.

Apologies in regards during the breakfast hours. I have shown your review to staff and will ensure the issues listed above will not occur again.

Thank you again, for your review and for staying with us.

Come back and see us again!

Regards,

Madras, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This was a nice spacious room at an affordable price. I recieved the room with the jetted tub and two queen bedsand itwas very nice. The pool and hot tub where also very nice and where we spent most of our time. When we asked to extend our stay there were no issues at all and the lady at the front desk was very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Deborah H.,

I am pleased that you enjoyed the room at it's affordable price and were also able to utilize our Pool and Spa!

Thank you very much for your kind words and feedback. It greatly appreciated and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

They gave a room with 2 queen beds and a sitting area with sofa. Restroom was good size with a large granite top. We arrived a bit early but the room was not ready yet so we spent an hour shopping at the Vancouver (Westfield) mall right next to the hotel before checking in. There's a nice indoor pool and Jacuzzi in the hotel. We booked this hotel for Portland city tour and mount hood mirror lake trail since the hotel price was much cheaper than Portland, Oregon. If you don't mind to drive, stay in Vancouver, Washington will save you a lot of money for sure. Complimentary breakfast was typical maybe slightly above average with fresh fruits, hot waffles and scramble eggs and hard boiled eggs...etc. Good value for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Bill L.,

Thank you very much for your kind and informative review! I'm pleased you were able to enjoy Vancouver's Westfield Mall during your stay here at the Comfort Suites. Do come back and see us again on your next visit to the area!

Until then,

Eugene, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

the only reason I gave this place 2 points is because of accessibility and location. the king bed was very uncomfortable, had a dip in the middle and they tried to hide it with a pillow top cover. tossed and turned all night. the pull out bed/sofa, for our third person had no linnen, i had to go to the front desk to ask for some, the clerk had to rob other rooms to get the linnen and comforter. He would not give us extra pillows because he claimed that there were enough on the king bed (5). all the linnen had holes and tears in them and were not even mended. when we went to get our breakfast at 8:00 am there were no more eggs, boiled or scrambled, the bacon was like a thin see thru piece of plastic, bread smelled stale, the waffle mix was out and most syrup bottles on the tables were empty. I brought all this to the attendant's attention, she aggnoledged my request and disapeared to the back, but emmerged 5 minutes later with a vacuum cleaner and was cleaning the lobby. other customers were checking the empty food containers, grabbing a fruit and checking out. We ended up doing the same thing and left very dissatisfied. It is customary for the front desk clerk to ask if we had a good night upon check out, but this person did not because he knew what the answer would have been: simlar to the other customers checking out.
I have stayed at many choice hotels, and thought of them as good experiences. this one unfortunately put a very bad impression in my mind.

Room Tip: ask to see it before moving into it. Read reviews if available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Jimmy C.,

I am so very sorry that your stay was less than satisfying and that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Please know that I have shown your review to all staff and all issues mentioned have been set straight and taken care of. I am regretful that we have made a bad impression of choice hotels, in your mind and there aren't enough words to portray my apologies.

If you are ever in the area again, please give us a chance to redeem ourselves. If there is anything more I can do for you, contact me at the Hotel directly at the number listed below.

Sincere Regards,

360-253-3100
Sedro-Woolley, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have stayed at this location in the past, and were happy with the rooms and service. This stay was definitely different. One of the reasons I like staying here is the pool and fitness room. Unfortunately the fitness room was closed for "renovations." it didn't appear there was any renovations going on, just a bunch of broken down fitness equipment. In our room, the shower had no pressure and the shower head leaked. The shower curtain rod was pulled out of the wall. The office chair was broken.

We were moved to a different room because no maintenance workers were available. The shower wasn't much better, the whirlpool bath didn't operate correctly, and the stopper for the tub was broken off, left lying in the tub. A lamp was broken, and tbe topper - the toilet was dirty with a nasty black ring.

The front desk help seemed so used to hearing these complaints they just shrugged them off. I will not be staying at Comfort suites anytime soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear John R.,

Thank you for being a returning valued guest. I am sorry to hear that your expectations were far from met.During renovations on the Fitness Center, there had been no electrical working in that room during the time of your stay due to rewiring. With wires in the open and much debris, we take the safety of our guests in our highest priority, leaving us with having no choice but to put it out of order for the time being. I am sorry that you were unable to access it during your stay.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for you stay being anything less then satisfying. I have taken the issues listed above, and addressed them. Thank you for your feedback, as it helps us know where we need improvement in order to keep our guests satisfied,

Again, thank you for your review. I do hope to serve you and yours again in the near future.

Merry Christmas,

wilsonville, or
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I would like to tell you about the very difficult weekend I had at your Comfort Suites in Vancouver. I reserved the room at the advance purchase rate online for the top of the line room. When I got there, we were put into a room with two queen beds and not with the bathtub in the suite. Upon notifying the young woman on duty, she apologized, said she would give me a discount on my room and would call the manager, who was away for the weekend. The room we believe we reserved was checked out by someone else but we were told we could get into it for Saturday night. Apparently the pictures on the site are misleading and show features of another room, which includes the nice bathtub.
The manager had multiple opportunities to empower her staff to take care of us and did not. Even if the pictures were wrong due to a corporate error, she never took responsibility for it and through her staff continued to blame them. The woman on duty even told me she had had the problem last week. Our initial reservation says we paid for a king bed but did not get it, nor the right bathtub.
Finally at 2 p.m. Saturday, three hours before my company's party, Juan (who was on duty) took leadership and said he would make it right. He got us into the honeymoon suite finally.
For one hour, we enjoyed the room and despite all of the difficulty, we had decided to come back to that room for a weekend in 2013. At 3 p.m., Juan called back apologizing and said the manager had overruled him and that we would have to pay an additional $38 or to leave the room for a cheaper one. He admitted all along that we were right and did all he could.

The net result of this is that we were forced to pay an addtional fee on top of all of the trouble we incurred. I am a chief operating officer of a non-profit and manage 20 customer service representatives and this is the most amazing display of bad service I have ever seen. The GM had several chances to honor her staff and the promises they made to me, like a discount, but instead forced Juan to call me and ask for more money.
As a result the hotel got 38 extra dollars out of me but lost next year's reservation of $250.

I was recently faced with a similar situation as your hotel was with one of our members who had a bad experience with camp. I took he and his wife out to lunch, apologized and provided him with a year's free use of our properties. In the last year, he has made a personal donation to us, facilitated another fundraiser at his home and amended his will to include us in his estate. That is the power of good customer service.

Juan, who works the desk at the hotel, was so convinced we were screwed that he gave me the gm's card and the corporate 800# and told me to call them and complain. He told me seven times he was sorry and that we were right but his hands were tied. I commend him for trying to do the right thing.

I believe that most people, when they know that have messed up, will do the right thing when given the chance. I offer you that opportunity now to do the right thing as you see fit.

This experience ruined a getaway weekend for my wife and I. It was more than just a business overnight trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ComfortSuitesVanMall, General Manager at Comfort Suites Vancouver, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Jason M.,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with not only me, but with the world. Please accept my apology as I am sorry that you did not find my decisions reasonable toward your reservation and I do sincerely apologize.
Please know that I have done some research to see where and how exactly we went wrong and how I could make it right. I do remember receiving the phone call in regards to your reservation and how unsatisfied you were with the booking you had made with Advanced Purchase online. I am sorry I was out of town or else I would have made a property visit to speak with you directly and resolve the issue on the spot, myself.

For a little bit of a better understanding I hope can give you some sort of an idea and may put you better ease: you had booking through a 3rd Party Site, which we do not run ourselves here. That site does show that there are in fact 5 different King Suites, all with detailed additional information as to the highlights of each room and different amenities. We have two different types of King Suites with Jacuzzi Tubs in them: One is a bit smaller sized and lower rate with the Jacuzzi tub located in the bathroom, and the other is a bit larger at a higher rate with the Jacuzzi tub located in the bedroom itself.

Please note for future reservations through any Travel Agent Site (3rd Party Site not ran by the Hotel directly) that when viewing Room Types, Rates, and descriptions that if you click on the link below the Room Display picture typically titled: “Photos” -There you will see photos of what each room looks like and you will get a better idea of why your rate is what it is. Also, many if not all, Travel Agent sites state: Actual Rooms may vary and to contact hotel directly for any surcharges and confirmations. Little things like this help avoid big headaches like this one! =)

However, I am sorry that the room you had seen pictures of was not the room you had confirmed reserved prior to confirming reservation. Due to it being a 3rd Party Site and not a mistake made per the Hotel but perhaps per the Online Site, the typical sufficient enough solution for most guests is to pay the difference in rate for the room. I am pleased that Juan was very accommodating to you and your wife to the best of his abilities and couldn't emphasize enough as to his level of sorrow and regret to this misunderstanding and that Amber did prorate your discount to your stay.

Please know that it was not my intention to wish any inconvenience or stress upon you or yours during your stay here, nor would I ever. I am sorry that if you feel as though I did not empower my staff enough as to the correct issue and more so that you and your wife did not enjoy your stay at our Hotel. Again, I am sincerely sorry to you and your wife for experiencing anything less than satisfactory.

Please feel free to contact me at the Hotel number directly, listed below, if you would like to continue this conversation further or receive a discount on your next stay- if by some chance you ever decide to give us a second chance.

All else aside, I do hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas, along with a Safe and Happy New Year.

Know that there aren't enough words to portray my most Sincere Regards,

Tel: 360.253.3100

Been to Comfort Suites Vancouver? Share your experiences!