“Average at the very best” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Average at the very best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Just ate at AJ's and was left unimpressed. The building feels right...just as it did when other restaurants were housed here. The service was also good. Sadly, I don't go to a restaurant for the atmosphere, and I only react to service when it's bad. Eating out is about the food and the food here isn't great or even good. My friend and I ordered shrimp po boys. The sandwiches took 27 minutes to arrive. 27 minutes?? For sandwiches where the shrimp (all FOUR of them) were the only things that required cooking. The 9 dollar sandwiches came with decent fries that were hot. Guess it all comes down to this: I'm currently eating a shrimp po boy from a fast food place...it's warm and full of shrimp and came with a side and soda for $6.24. Yep, I was still hungry after AJ's.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Van Buren, Arkansas
“Great New Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I loved this place! Service and food were great. I got the crawfish étouffée and my husband got shrimp and grits. We both really enjoyed our meals! I would highly recommend it!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Loved It!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Super surprised with this little joint! They have a very nice low priced house salad, delicious fried green tomatoes, & both the oysters on the half shell & the oysters Rockefeller were awesome! Must stop into this sweet little establishment!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great tasting oysters!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Make reservations, even on a week night, or sit outside in the heat as we 11 of us did. The place was packed and peeps kept coming. Food was great along with service. Several items I want to come back and try. Very good place overall.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arkansas
“Delicious flavor but small servings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This place hasn't been open very long, so I will probably give it another chance. The service was excellent and the Arkansas Gumbo is really good. However, the Mahdi tacos only have two pinky sized pieces of fish, and the firecracker shrimp were disappointing to a friend who orders them elsewhere. I'm not an oyster fan, so I did not try the fresh ones they are bringing in. Don't order the coleslaw side- it has so little flavor, they might as well call it just raw shredded cabbage. Service was good and place was immaculate, but lunch was $21. Try it and see how u like it. I plan to try again, since I went the first week it opened

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere