“Just an old fort, but fun and interesting.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
22 attraction reviews
“Just an old fort, but fun and interesting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

It's best enjoyed when special programs are going on, so check the website. The docents and re-enactors make the place.

Visited June 2012

Mesa
“Lots of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Learned a great deal from the docent on duty at the Fort. Civil war, American history, and Union soldier ghosts all came to life. Enjoyable exhibits with personal docent tours, cell phone narratives, or signs with historical facts at every turn. Well maintained, clean, enjoyable. Allow no less than one hour for the Fort--more if you're a history buff.

Girard, Kansas
12 attraction reviews
“A very enjoyable day trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Since I don't live far away, I've visited many times. Even a local can learn a lot about Kansas history here. Everything is very attractively and accurately presented. There are frequent special events, which make the site a fun place to visit time after time.

Olathe, Kansas, United States
“Kids can enjoy a bit of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We packed the kids in the car and took an hour and a half car ride from Kansas City to Fort Scott. I heard it's a good place for a day trip and we were tired of being cooped up in the house with this obnoxious heat wave we've had in the Midwest. We arrived in Ft. Scott in mid-morning on a Saturday and we were pleased to see a local farmers market taking place right there in the historic square. I'm not sure if this takes place every Saturday through the summer but there is nothing better than fresh fruits and vegetables. Plus, it's nice to support our local farmers.

My main objective was to go through the fort. I'm a history junkie so the fort was right up my alley. My wife teases me about reading every bit of information when we go to a historic landmark. When we walked in the visitor's center we were greeted by a very welcoming park ranger. To my surprise, the self-guided tours are FREE! You can also sign up in the visitor's center for a guided tour. I'm unaware if there is a charge for the guided tours.

I took the oldest boys, ages 5 and 3 through the fort while my wife did some window shopping with the baby. Unable to read every bit of information with two young boys I was excited that there was a phone tour. You can call the number that is posted on the signs and put in a code that is on the sign and a message will give you a bit of history about that building or section of the fort. The boys favorite sections were the barracks and the stable and they loved the sound of their feet stomping on the old hardwood floors. I'm pretty sure anyone else in the building at the time didn't enjoy the noise as much as they did.

Overall, this is a neat, family friendly tour that is full of interesting civil war era history. I would recommend touring when the temperature is moderate.

Brunswick, Missouri
42 attraction reviews
“Neat Civil War Town!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Was suprised to see this is a whole town not just one building to tour. So well kept and lots to tour! Stables, Jail, Living Quarters, Ambulance, Ammo....etc. Worth the trip. Can go on guided or self guided tour. Nothing else to see in Fort Scott but this is well worth it.