“This place is nasty nasty nasty.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway

You added Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   I-95 & SR 204 East Ex. 94, 16 Gateway Boulevard East, Savannah, GA 31419 (Formerly Clarion Inn & Suites )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #31 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Center Ossipee, New Hampshire
“This place is nasty nasty nasty.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Our first impression of this hotel was not good. Trash spilling out of the cans, floor mats filthy, a sign out the front advertising weekly rates. After driving a long time, we were told very rudely we couldn't check in yet, it was 1pm. Thankfully, when we returned at 5pm there was a very nice gentleman called Michael on the front desk who was extremely pleasant. The breakfast was a nightmare. The fruit was gone and never replaced by 8:50am, the food containers were filthy. Our room was clean, but very noisy. The smoke stop doors remained open the whole time on all levels. A fire hazard waiting to happen, in my opinion. I did not feel safe. I'm not a negative Nelly at all, but this place was a lot worse and not a lot cheaper than other better options in this area. We will never be back.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay, especially the overflowing trash and dirty floor mats. Also, we are sorry to hear of the noise issues and poor breakfast you encountered during your stays. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience as your comments are valued and will be used to consider improvements in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Tallahassee, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

A lot of things went wrong with our stay here, some the fault of the hotel, some not, but I just got a good vibe off of my one night here and I'd stay again.

When we got to our room, the window was "open." I presumed that was just to let in some fresh air since Savannah isn't that cold. It turned out the window simply wasn't attached at all. The guy at the front desk took about a minute trying to fix it (I had already tried), then upgraded us to a "suite" for our trouble.

The suite had a small extra room with a couch, desk and TV. It also had several long hairs in the bathroom, and one on the lampshade in the bedroom. That's not too too revolting, but still. The bathroom door required some large effort to open and close, and there was a section of damaged tile in the bathroom. The comforter on the bed must've weighed 30 pounds (I'm not exaggerating... I'm 6'1", 200, and it was as heavy as my home comforter when it comes out of the wash), so it was kind of useless. We were told that breakfast ended at 10:30, but when we got there at 10:00 it was all packed up. The hotel is on a one-way, so it's a bit of a pain to get into the property. Not too awful though.

I've seen reviews that say that this hotel charges for parking. I don't think they do; they didn't charge me at any rate, and I doubt they were charging anyone else. That was welcome because any hotel in the historic district will make you bleed for parking. With good traffic you can be in the historic district in five minutes from this property. It's just a straight shot down Abercorn.

It has an indoor pool. I didn't get a chance to use it, but that's a nice feature in December. I wish I'd been able to.

Dunno, for the price, I just got a good vibe and overall good experience from this hotel in spite of the problems. I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon K, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for letting us know how your recent stay was with us. We appreciate your feedback! Since your stay we have made many improvements and we hope to see you again.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I travel to Savannah frequently to see our daughter, son-in-law and baby granddaughter. Normally we stay with them or my son-in-law's family, but this was a last minute trip late Saturday afternoon, and we had to be on the road early Sunday morning to get back to Jacksonville for a Jaguars game.

I found this Country Inn & Suites location through this site. The Gateway area is right off I-95 at GA 204, and there are at least a dozen "name" hotels on the access road near the interstate. The TripAdvisor reviews of this site looked good and the price was excellent: a total of $71 (inc. tax) for one night, two adults, king bed, no smoking in a nice roomy mini-suite.

The desk staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spotless, with lots of large pillows on the extremely comfortable bed. Other than the slight aroma of mothballs when we entered the room (which went away after we were there for a while), I can't say enough nice things about this location for the money. The breakfast buffet was well-stocked with everything you would expect in a free breakfast, plus they had fresh French toast and sausage links, which were mighty tasty.

I made the reservation online at the company's website, and called at about 7:30 to let them know we'd be arriving late - had to spend every second we could with the grand baby. Our room was waiting when we arrived, and after the tasty breakfast, we were on our way. The convenience of the Interstate can't be overstated, but the location was very quiet.

You have a lot of choices of very nice hotels just a few feet away from this Country Inn & Suites. For the price, you can't beat this.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us!

We are glad to here that your stay was enjoyable, and hope that next time you are in the Savannah area you stay with us again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Check in was fine. Room large. Breakfast free however tables and floors were dirty making it less than satisfying. Left the hotel at noon to return in the evening finding our room not cleaned. Went to get ice to find the machine missing on the second floor. Had to search for another machine. The latch on our door to secure the room at night is loose making it suspect if it needs to work. Will not stay here again. :(

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon K, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, unfortunately the ice machine on the 2nd floor is being repaired and there are ice machines on the first and second floor that are properly working at this time. At this moment maintance is currently in the process of making sure the latches on the doors to all rooms are secure. As far as breakfast goes we are currently going to go through new traingings with the breakfast attendants to make sure the breakfast area is stocked and clean at all times.

Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Calling ahead for a reservation was delightful, attendant was very polite, professional, and willing to assist in anyway. Our previous night stay was a mess . We arrived and was greeted by the gentlemen who had taken our reservation. He was pleasant and we were immediately directed to our room. The room was excellent, very clean, and on the first floor so as to provide us . The morning breakfast was complete, coffee, milk,scramble eggs,sausage, oak meal, etc. The dining area was clean and presented a calm atmosphere. All personnel we encountered were very polite and professional........

Room Tip: everything is good
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Shannon K, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Linda C,

Thank you for letting us know how your recent stay was with us. We appreciate your feedback! We hope that in the future you decide to stay with us at our Country Inn and Suites.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

There were numerous restaurants and gas stations within walking distance. Downtown Savannah was only 10-15 minutes away.

The staff was beyond friendly and helpful. Every staff member we encountered smiled, asked if we needed anything, and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. If I return to Savannah, I will stay at Country Inns and Suites and I will recommend it to everyone .

Room Tip: Studio suites ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Big and specious
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Shannon K, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Roger,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us! We are glad to here it was enjoyable, and hope that in the future you stay with us.

We look foward to seeing you again.

West Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Booked this thru Groupon and Living Social. Had two nights. My MAIN reason for booking this was because of the indoor pool/hot tub and breakfast. Two of those reasons were null and void. The hot tub doesn't have any working jets. It is a hot bowl of water that you sit in. When I questioned this, the lady told me "Its scheduled to be fixed Jan. 2014" Thanks, that is helpful since I am here now. I said "Well, it would be nice to know this" she let me know "Its on the website". I didn't book on your site. How about you tell customers when they call in to book as well? Just a thought.

No fresh cookies when you walk in, you get a packaged set of Grandmas cookies. I guess baking cookies cost too much?

Room quality, the latch on the door was broken off. You wonder why has that never been fixed? My friend was drying her hair the entire hairdryer came out of the wall and scared her to death!!! Overall, the room was fine, but keep up with your maintenance issues.

Breakfast: Not good. Skimpy, no variety. They did biscuits and gravy. Biscuits on one side of room, gravy on the other......so you had to walk clear across the room to fix your plate... Then they had spoons on one side of room forks on the other, so guess what, you had to walk back to the first place to get your appropriate fork/spoon. They had very little variety especially considering I do not eat sausage, thats basically all that was available unless I wanted cold cereal or a waffle. They had one working waffle maker and a broken one just laying around. The breakfast area had stained beat up chairs stored in it (dunno why). Not appealing to guests. They also shut the breakfast down to the MINUTE of which it ends. There was a woman waiting for a waffle and the mix was already taken up. Really? Would it kill them to leave the waffle mix out for 2 minutes? I could see not restocking the food, but to really just snatch it from guests 1 minute after breakfast ended?

As I departed the property, I spoke to the manager about the issues with our room and the hot tub not working, and she acted like I was just being a major pain "Were you able to lock your door" Um YES we locked the door but the thing is broken off, just thought you'd like to know, broken things don't impress guests in a room. Like that wasn't the point of the conversation. Anyway, I can say the location here is good. Many things to do, eat, etc right around, walking distance to Appleebees, which we enjoyed. I would suggest to the hotel to get you're advertised things fixed, and spruce up your breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Shannon K, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
We apologize for any inconveniences you may have had while you stayed with us. The issues have been addressed to management and will be getting resolved as soon as possible. The parts to fix our whirlpool were ordered a week ago, and will be arriving within the next two weeks. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will still stay with Country Inn & Suites in the future.

Sales Manager

Been to Country Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway? Share your experiences!