“Tough call- good people, bad experience” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8484 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31406   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #47 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Alabama
“Tough call- good people, bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

First, the rooms are in the process of being upgraded. Ours was ok, but the a/c made racket and sounded like water dripping. The hallway looks old and dated and you're about 5-10 miles from town, so there isn't much to do in the immediate area.
Second, our dogs needed to go out at 4AM and when we got back, the door lock wouldn't work. Tried keys for about 30 minutes with no luck. Finally got put in another room until the manager came in. I finally got the front desk person to call the manager at 8 the next morning. Maintenance guy didn't have a phone to call him, so we didn't get back into our room until almost 10.
Finally, the staff were actually very apologetic and the management took care of the two nights that we stayed there for the inconvenience of the lockout and actually gave us a certificate for another free night at any LQ.
We won't be going back to the hotel mainly because of the location and the condition of the place. It was just a so-so place to stay.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2006

I took a chance for my husband and I and used Hotwire to book the hotel and was actually trying to stay more in Midtown Savannah. After finding out that we would be staying on the Southside I read some other reviews. I don't know why there were so bad. The people were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and nice for the price. It is still showing signs of the hotel it used to be. The breakfast, also for the price, was very good. Normal continental but you could also make your own waffles. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a nice hotel on a budget.

Stayed September 2006
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

We visited the Baymont in August 2005 during our anniversary visit to Savannah. We got a good AAA rate and only planned on being in the room when we weren't sightseeing, so we weren't in our room much. The area is near the mall and seemed pretty safe.

When we arrived, we asked if we could upgrade to a suite (only difference is you get a pullout sofa and small refrigerator) and they kindly did so. That was a big plus. The room was okay, although it needed a thorough dusting. But it was comfortable and fairly clean. The free breakfast was good and they kept it well stocked.

My main complaint was that on our third day there, we returned in the afternoon and I opened the refrigerator to find that someone had stolen a liter of Coke I had stored there. All of our other food was there. I called down to the front desk to let them know. The young woman who answered the phone did not apologize or even say, "I'll let the manager know." All she did was sigh and say, "I'll put it in the book." Nobody ever called us to follow up. I didn't want anything from anyone. Just an "I'm sorry about that" would have been nice. But it was clear they didn't care.

Funny as it seems, Baymont sent me a survey via e-mail regarding our trip. I again described the theft and that nobody ever apologized. Again, no response from anyone.

So my advice is don't leave anything valuable in your hotel room at the Baymont, not that you should in any hotel. But especially at this one. A coke is no big deal but it tells me they're not beyond stealing other things.

• Stayed August 2005
MIchigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

Walked in, walked out. Took a peek in rooms that were being cleaned. Very dirty looking. Older motel. Carpeting by elevators was filthy black.

There are alot of brand new motels just a short ways from this location by I-95 and #204.
Some just opened in last few weeks like Hampton Inn South and Spring Hill. Much happier stay there.

• Stayed April 2006
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2006

My family reunion was held in Savannah in 2004 and this was the hotel that the reunion committee chose as the base of operation. Because of the number of rooms we were able to book, we were given a hospitality suite at no cost to use for family activities during our visit. The rooms were average; no frills. The only difference between a regular room and a suite was the addition of a sofa bed. The breakfast buffet consisted of basic breakfast foods. For those who want a heartier breakfast, you would need to visit an area restaurant. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. We had a bus load of family members who were scheduled to arrive hours earlier than expected, and the front staff desk and housekeeping worked with us so that their rooms would be ready for occupancy when they arrived.

Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2006

I was a little worried about the previous review stating that the area was somewhat "ghetto." When we arrived there, I was happy to see that the hotel was located in a busy commercial area that appeared safe. The hotel itself was fairly well kept...rooms big and clean. I did not notice any pet smells that were noted in other reviews. They only have regular TVs (sorry no plasma TVs like the other Baymont in Savannah). The hotel was located about 6 miles from downtown Savannah, and it was about a 15 minute commute. Breakfast was decent with waffles, bagles, muffins, hardboiled eggs, and juice. Overall, I was pleased with the hotel for the price and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2005
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2005

Hotel itself was a great value. Big room, quiet, plasma TV, touches that you usually only see in more expensive hotels: refrigerator, coffee maker. Service was just great, everyone at front desk went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Breakfast was average, lots of carbs, one day had hard boiled eggs which was a nice change. I loved the public internet in the lobby that you could use any time, helpful to check the restaurant review of the place I was going to that night. The one negative to this hotel is its location. Although only 10 minutes from Savannah, not the best neighborhood to drive through. When we were trying to find the hotel the first time we were convinced we were lost, looked like ghetto to me. When you get there, it's great.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Savannah Southside? Share your experiences!