“Nice place with exception of food service staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #50 of 111 hotels in Savannah
“Nice place with exception of food service staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights with a group of people for a baseball tournament. The rooms were clean and the front desk staff was nice. They were working on the building but that did not interfere with our stay. The only complaint I have is the lady in charge of the food service was SO rude. She was obviously not a good fit for the hospitality business. I would recommend this hotel, good location outside of downtown but I would say beware of the breakfast lady. She might bite you.

• Stayed July 2013
Laurie L, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn by Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay with us. We always want to know bout our guests visits. I do apologize for any inconveniences you might have experienced as a result of our staff and will forwarding your comments on to the hotel manager.

We look forward to see you (and your team) again in the future.

Laurie Lawrence
President of Sales & Marketing.

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Griffin, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My family and I went down for the fourth of July to celebrate. This was a nice place to stay for two nights. The staff was very friendly, and they were doing some renovations, but things were still good. The bed slept well, the continental breakfast was good with different varieties. We had humidifier in our room but my son's room didn't, and the rooms were clean. The only musty smell was in the stairs area. No it's not a luxury hotel as some might think, but it's a good hotel. And I enjoyed my stay and have no problem going back. It's also close to the Oglethorpe Mall and other shopping areas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments about your stay with us. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

As you mentioned we are in the process of renovating the hotel and hope to have everything finished by the end of October (if not soon).

Hiram, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I needed a place to stay for one night in Savannah, GA and this seemed like the most economical. This turned out to be true. It is by no means a luxury hotel, but it was worth the cheap rate.

We stayed in a regular King room. The hotel looked old but the room was decent. We were allowed to check in early which was wonderful since we got there at 11 AM and didn't want to wait until 3 PM. They gave us a handicap room because it was clean. This was fine, I just don't like the handicap bathrooms at all. (Neither of us are handicapped.) The room was very sticky, especially the bathroom floor, but I'm going to assume it's because it's Savannah in the summer. I didn't see a humidifier in the room and that would have helped greatly. The paint job in the bathroom looked very rushed and cheap. The bed was fine and we both slept ok.

The complimentary breakfast was delicious and I really appreciated it when I saw on of the staff members politely ask a teenager talking loudly on her phone in the dining area to put her phone away.

I would stay here again if I needed somewhere fairly inexpensive to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. It's always great to hear from our guest.

I am glad that our staff was able to accommodate an early check in for you and your husband. Our staff takes great pride in doing everything they can to accommodate the needs of our guest to the fullest of our ability.

Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were pleased to arrive to such a genuinely friendly staff. Our room is small, but just right for a couple, and very clean. Comfortable king bed with nice cotton comforter and soft plush pillows. Bathroom is very clean and shower is great. The continental breakfast had many options and the staff was, again, cheerful - even at 8 in the morning. The hotel is a short drive from downtown, but is a great deal. There are nice restaurants and grocery stores close by so you don't have to go downtown to eat, etc. We would stay here again and recommend to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow...thank you so much for the gret comments. We are delighted that you found our hotel to be just what you were looking for.

We take great pride of trying to give our guest the best service possible with clean, comfortable accommodations. Sounds like we achieve that with your stay.

dayton Ohio, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently and was less than impressed. When we walked into our room, it had a musty smell. Many of the rooms had a mini fridge & microwave. We weren't to be that blessed. We had a dehumidifier in our room that, when combined with the air conditioner, was very loud. We also had to empty it a couple of times a day. You could hear every step the room above us took. When people walked by or shut their doors, you could feel the building shake. The shower faucet leaked and the toilet handle was very loose. The breakfast wasn't much of a breakfast. We only chose to eat there 2 of the 4 mornings we stayed. Each time they were out of items and there was absolutely no where to sit. The pool was nice for the kids. The only complaint is the last night we were there it was closed for cleaning. Seemed like a wierd time to clean it, knowing the hotel was full and there'd be a lot of kids wanting to relax after a long day of competition. Another bonus was the laundry room. For less than $3 a load to wash and dry, it was a great benefit. I was just glad I got mine done before the workers that were remodeling tore up the laundry room to lay tile. Again, I question the timing of the renovation. Could they have waited until the hotel was less booked?

I will say that the staff was very friendly and willing to help all the time. The first full day we were there, Kelly in HK knocked on door, asked if we wanted the room cleaned or just towels refreshed. We were fine with just having the towels refreshed. Her attitude was one of total southern hospitality. The second night we were there, a gentleman wheeled a cart around with snacks on it. I didn't get his name, but he, too, was very friendly. The gentleman who worked the front desk both Thursday and Friday (again, I'm sorry - I didn't get his name) was very courteous and very personable. He took a genuine interest in why we were there and where we are from, wishing us best of luck for the competition the kid were involved in as well as for traveling back home. Very nice staff!

For the price we paid, though, southern hospitality just won't cut it. The room at best was worth $50/night, not the $100 plus tax that we paid. It's obvious the owners are trying to make improvements, which is very much needed. But they need to take care of the rooms first, making sure the guests are accomodated, before worrying about the outside.

I have stayed in Fairfield Inn's in many places during our travels. However, this one does not live up to the Marriott name. I'm sorry, but we won't be staying at this hotel again. It is worth looking into other options.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Laurie L, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn by Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for telling us about your recent visit at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott Savannah Midtown. Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with a guest at our hotel.

The hotel is under new ownership as of May 10th, 2013. As you mentioned we are in the process of renovations to make our hotel better in order to provide better services and facilities to our guest.

If you are ever in the Savannah area again would be greatly appeciate the opportunity to have you as our guest again.

Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Thank goodness we only had to stay here 2 nights. There was a humidifier that ran day and night and we had to empty when it was full. Room not very comfortable even with the A/C and humidifier going and the noise level from the window a/c and humidifier was annoying to say the least. The room was clean. Only other complaint I have is that I left my sunglasses in the room and called the hotel the next day and the following day and never received a return call. I spoke with the desk the first time and the next day I spoke with Amanda who said she would have someone check the room. She never got back to me. Really think she should check with the person who cleaned the room when we left. Needless to say we won't be returning any time soon and Marriott should take another look at this hotel.

Room Tip: I don't have any tips.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for telling us about your stay with us at Fairfield Inn by Marriott Savannah Midtown.
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while our guest.

As of May 10, 2013 the hotel is under new ownership and we are in the process of a renovation project which will allow us to better service our guest.

We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.

Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We liked the service extended to us in this hotel. When I checked us in, I asked what floor we will be in. The question was returned to me. So I said I want to be in the ground floor, near the parking and swimming pool if such a room exist. The receptionist granted all my request. I liked that we were given the nearest room to the pool. It was only a few steps to our car and a few steps to the lobby where there is always juice/water/coffee/tea for the guests. They also cooked popcorn a couple of nights. My kids were so happy. They also provide light snack from 5 to 7 pm. The lobby is like a family room. I booked our hotel thru Priceline for only 55usd a night for 4 nights. That's with all the taxes and fees. Thanks to all the great staff in this hotel!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about your stay with us.

It's always great to hear from our guest and even better when we find out that they enjoyed with stay with us.

We are certainly looking forward to having you stay with us again in the future in your are in the Savannah area again.

President of Sales & Marketing

Been to Fairfield Inn by Savannah Midtown? Share your experiences!