“Loudest Hotel - Floors as Thin as Walls!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #82 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Myrtle Beach, SC
“Loudest Hotel - Floors as Thin as Walls!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have never stayed in a Springhill Suites before, but am here for a conference and did not choose the hotel. I am sitting in the room for a second night in a row and it has to be the loudest hotel I've ever visited. There is a lot of running and yelling down the halls. Okay. Teenagers will be teenagers. Maybe a fluke. That was last night. It's the same thing tonight. Running up and down the halls yelling, horseplay, etc...

The floors and walls are amazingly thin. I have been hearing stomping above my head for several hours now. Same as last night. The walls and floors are so thin that I was a bit nervous about using the hair dryer at 6am. I figured my neighbors could hear and it would disturb them. I have thought of checking out, but everyone knows that checking out for one night is a travel nightmare.

I don't mind the renovations and can appreciate that they are making improvements. The curtains are not clean and there was black stuff all over my bed. I don't know what it was. I thought cig ashes, but it was crumbly. Otherwise, the room and halls seemed clean.

Breakfast was fine and typical for this type of hotel: Make your own waffles, yogurt, bagels, a hot item, etc....

All staff members have been very friendly.

Though the room is spacious, I think I would not stay here again (at least not in this particular one) due to the constant noise that can't even be drowned out with the TV.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SAVSH, General Manager at Springhill Suites by Marriott Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Queenofstarwars,

We are glad that your interaction with our staff was positive. I am sorry to hear of the noise issues, we did have a good size group of youth at the hotel but if you had reported the issue we could have certainly spoken with the group contact to get the noise to a more acceptable level. I hope your stay was good other than the things mentioned and hope you would stay with us again if in the area. Safe travels to you!

Howard Loggins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

First of all let me state: This is a first hand account. I stayed here and all the information I am reporting is not hearsay. This review is in accordance with TripAdvisor guidelines.

Well, this USED to be one of my favorite places to stay in Savannah. Midtown location. The convenience allowed me to overlook the fact that this place looks like a throwback to the Holiday Inn's of the 1970's. Archie Bunker would be at home here.
7:30AM get a phone call. Our car was one of 20 cars broken into according to Savannah Police Department. Out we go in the 47 degree weather. Other patrons wandering around like zombies, dazed. Our driver window was totally smashed in. Missing was our 38 Special of course. Scumbags stole many items from the cars. 9 cars broken into at this hotel, with remainder at two adjoining hotels and apartment complex.
At NO time was an employee or manager in the parking lot while we were there. No one helping sweep glass out of cars. No one apologizing. No one recommending glass repair services. Had that been ME I would have had hot cups of coffee, blankets, whatever it took to preserve the Marriott name. This incident alone was enough for me to swear off ever staying at another Marriott property. As we checked out, I told them not to charge me for the room for the nothing they did. They charged me of course. I called Marriott and ripped them a new one. Got email from manger (that was copied to Marriott) saying how they were helping vacuum, had glass repair recommendations, etc and here, have 5,000 Marriott rewards points. HA. Like I'd ever use those again.
The manager sent another letter saying that these things occurred AFTER we left. Feel free to contact the hotel for this version of the story as I am told by TripAdvisor that I am not allowed to pass along information that is not firsthand. Now. Here is a DIRECT QUOTE from the manager's letter to me: "In regards to cameras, we have them on the interior entrance doors and the front desk but not on the parking lots." Again, you can verify this with the hotel as I must be careful to report this accurately as TripAdvisor has sent this BACK to me for editing. I still can't figure out what didn't pass muster in my original post.

I caution you. Savannah is a large metropolitan city. Make sure your hotel has adequate surveillance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
SAVSH, General Manager at Springhill Suites by Marriott Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Cognac62,

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments. I can assure you we take all reviews and use them as a tool for improvement. We will certainly take any and all comments in your review under consideration. I can understand that anyone would be upset due to the loss of personal belongings, I do see however that over a period of almost two years you stayed with us numerous times and wrote four complimentary and positive reviews. I hope this one instance will not cloud a consistent stay history of that period. We do thank you for staying with us and again thank you for your comments. We wish you safe travels.

warm regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

When i arrived and checked in the young lady was very friendly. When i got my room it was freezing cold. i checked the bathroom and it was very nasty, i wouldnt wash my dog in the tub. The sheeets were stained. The walls had spots on them. The room smelled off mold.The carpet need cleaning. Everything about the hotel was out dated which is not normal for a Marriott property. I called the front desk to see if i could move to another room the young lady apologized and said there wasnt another room available. When i checked out I informed the guest service manager about the room and she proceed to yell at me about how old the hotel is. I was very apalled and didnt apprieciate the way she was speaking to me and her tone of voice.I told her it would be nice if i could speak to someone else because she was very rude.She goes on to say their is no one for me to speak with but her and that she would like it if i would leave the property while using foul language. I gladly left and never will i come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SAVSH, General Manager at Springhill Suites by Marriott Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear TiffanyB,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We leave the air set in all rooms at 72 F and that is to maintain rooms at a controllable temperature for guest that are arriving. We are an older SpringHill Suites and are in line to be renovated the latter part of this year. In regards to the Guest Service Manager I have always observed her to be nothing less than professional. The front desk is on a video camera and I will review past dates and see if I can observe anything other than that. I can assure you that we will follow up on your issues mentioned and use them to improve for the future. We wish you safe travels.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The staff was friendly, the rooms were small for what they normally charge but not too shabby for what we paid. We had a king suite that had a nice sitting room with a small kitchen and desk area to the left of the sitting room. There was a small wall dividing the sitting room from the bed "room" (wouldn't call it a room just because it wasn't completely closed off) that was enough to give the entire room an open feeling but still give the bed area some privacy. The bathroom was past the bed on the left so it was completely out of the way of the room. Across from the bathroom was a vanity area perfect for doing your hair and what not. Because of the lay out nothing felt too cramped or anything like that. The AC/heater worked great. The beds were AWWWEEEESOME! I wanted to take one home with me! They were doing renovations but that did not interfere with our stay (and I have to say they are working really fast). The only complaint I have is there was only one elevator and three floors and it would take forever to get the elevator to stop. I ended up using the stairs usually just because it was faster. The free breakfast was a real breakfast, not just bagels and cereal. I mean biscuits and gravy, you could make your own waffles, that kind of stuff. And they were constantly putting out fresh food all the way up until 10am when they stopped serving. But they didn't throw the food away or stop breakfast, they let the guests finish up what was left. It was a nice stay. A bit far from the history district where we really wanted to be but it was worth it for the price.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on the first floor just because the elevator is so slow.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The room was clean. The linens were crisp and white. The bed was comfortable, I slept well. The sofa was clean and a pretty blue color. Flat screen tv. Bathroom was also very clean. I travel with sanitizing wipes and swiped the tubs and sink and no dirt was found. I can see the ongoing renovations which will only make this location better. The limited view was not a bother . Nice to have two restaurants close to hotel. Lobby was a little dated but I am sure will be upgraded during renovations. Close to mall and many other restaurants.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed with our girl scout troop and had a terrible experience with other guests. Two rugby teams from Atlanta partied in the hallways all night long, yelling, screaming, and drinking two nights in a row. The hotel does not have security but finally did call the police at 3:30am on Sunday morning. At least one hungover rugby player was sleeping in the lobby later that morning while we were eating breakfast. . Management should have asked them to leave after the first night but did not. Our bill was credited 30% in compensation, but we would have preferred to sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SAVSH, General Manager at Springhill Suites by Marriott Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear THWilkinson,
We thank you for your comments and certainly are sorry to hear that the other guests created a disturbance. We took steps to get the guest to quieten down and eventually had to notify the Police. We always do our best to provide a calm and relaxing envronment for all of our guests, Please know your concerns were addressed and again please know that this is not the norm and it was dealt with in a way that was appropriate for all parties. We hope you will visit us again if in the area.

Warmest regards,
Fruit Cove, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stay at this property about once a month and am generally happy with it due to the proximity to my work location. The property reminds me of a Fairfield Inn more than a Springhill, that being a little older and worn. Last time I was to stay they had a mishap with the fire sprinklers and had to move me to the TownPlace Suites next door. They were so proud they could move me there and honor the same rate. I ended up canceling and going somewhere else. While they were proud of maintaining the same rate, the fact is that hotel is less on a nightly basis to begin with, the breakfast is grab and go vs. hot meal, the pool is outside an unusable in February, and they award 1/2 the Marriott Reward points - not exactly a enticing prospect for the inconvenience and insulting to a repeat customer. In addition, had I known far enough in advance, I could have stayed at another Marriott property in the area but by the time I arrived to find out the details of the bargain they were giving me, the other properties were sold out. As such, I missed out on the point opportunity and had to stay at a HIE in the area that, while nicer than the TownPlace, was not nice for HIE.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SAVSH, General Manager at Springhill Suites by Marriott Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear James L.

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments. I offer my apology for the necessity of relocating your reservation. We attempted to keep guest close in this area. The building did have significant water damage in an area confined primarily to the front desk and back office area. We are slated to undergo renovations later this year and I believe you will be pleased with the changes that are coming. We thank you for staying with us and hope you will return when in the area.

Howard Loggins

Been to Springhill Suites by Marriott Savannah Midtown? Share your experiences!