“Nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Carolina Shores
“Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Perfect spot! Room was clean, bright and beds comfortable. No parking at the property but that was okay as we parked in the garage at Abercorn and had no need for it. Easy access to River St and shopping at the City Market.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

609 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

The hallway and room are musty with an unpleasant odor difficult to identify. The beds were somewhat uncomfortable and pillows lumpy. On a positive note, the service was friendly at the front desk. The facilities were not clean; the fitness room machines were coated with dust and an elliptical squeaked nosily, guest room furniture was stained and glass wear spotted. The convenience of the location was it's redeeming quality. With some effort in repairs and updating, it could potentially be a truly lovely place to stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would have given this place a higher rating, but I was very disappointed with the situation I had to deal with. My boyfriend and I stayed here the first weekend in August and we were really looking forward to our room with a balcony. I booked this hotel a month and a half in advance to ensure that I would have a river view room with balcony. I called the hotel directly, not through a third party website, so there would be no confusion. The email I received from the hotel confirmed that I indeed had this river view balcony room, so I was sure I would have no problems.

I was very upset and disappointed when I arrived at the hotel and learned that I was NOT given the balcony room. This was the MAIN thing we were looking forward to on this trip. The rest of the balcony rooms were taken, so the best the front desk clerk could do was to put us in another room with no balcony for the night and get a balcony room the next day. I was still very upset, but since there was nothing that could be done, I reluctantly took the room and the complimentary bottle of red wine I did not care for.

We were given Room #527, which was another disappointment because there were a list of things we were not happy with in this room. When we first walked in, there was a terrible moldy smell. We thought it was because the hotel was old, so we just dealt with it. There were huge flies in the room and we had to constantly swap them away. When I took my shower, within a couple minutes, the water was up to my ankles because the bathtub was so clogged.

In the morning, the desk clerk told us that our new room would be ready in the afternoon and to leave our luggage in the middle of our current room so that the bellhop could move it over. I left all our luggage in the room and left a tip on top of the luggage. When we got back around 2pm, our room was ready, but our luggage was still not moved over. I had to get some things from my suitcase, so I went ahead and got the luggage myself. Of course, the tip was taken. The balcony room, 529, was so much better than 527. And there was no moldy smell, which confirmed that it was just that room that had that smell.

The hotel itself is very nice with it’s historic charm, but I just wish everything would have worked out the way we planned.

Room Tip: Room 527 has a moldy smell with bugs and the bathtub is clogged. Room 529 is excellent!
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Lovely olde worlde style hotel in wonderful location right on river front with lots of bars and restaurants within 5 minutes walk. Very helpful staff and the free wine and with snacks every day except Sunday. Savannah is a beautiful city and great for walking. Only difficulty we had was in finding hotel. We expected a proper hotel loading bay but you have to park in a lay by with short term spaces for other vehicles and the hotel is in a row of shops rather than a self contained building. Does not look impressive from outside but wait until you get inside.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We've stayed in Savannah many times, always looking for the right combo of value/location. The River Street Inn turned out to be a very good choice. The room was suite-size with a fireplace, lovely period furnishings, and a huge modern bath. It was more like you would expect at one of the old restored B&B's.
One of the highlights was the "get-acquainted" happy hour (really an hour and a half) they hold in a small quaint little bar on one of the lower levels that has an outdoor veranda overlooking the street. We enjoyed meeting several of the guests and had some interesting conservations.....along with a couple glasses of nice cabernet.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are more quiet because of all the bar/restaurant commotion on the lower River Stree...
Olathe, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm always a little skeptical, it's just my nature to doubt things I haven't tried or heard about before. So when the wife and I took a road trip down to Savannah, and we weren't staying in a hotel I had heard of, I started to doubt. And couldn't have been more wrong. The reason we chose the River Street Inn was because of it's proximity to River Street (duh), the defacto "place to be" in Savannah. What really impressed me was the very cool history of the place, the awesome period-correct bedroom furniture, and super helpful staff. Don't let "period-correct" fool you, it was really nicely renovated, and very clean. If you wanted a trolley tour of the city, tell the front desk and they'll arrange for a trolley to come right to the hotel and pick you up. Really enjoyed the view of the river, and they had free wine and cheese tasting on Monday nights. We left very impressed, especially because the price was modest ($120/night in peak season).

Room Tip: Splurge for the rooms with a view of the river.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The history of the place makes it interesting. Lots of restaurants close by as it right on the riverfront. Our view sucked from the room, but we spent very little time there. The style and decor of this hotel made it feel like a step into a different age. I liked that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to River Street Inn? Share your experiences!