“Good location but forget the comfort” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   124 East Bay Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #23 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Dalton, Georgia
“Good location but forget the comfort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We went to Savannah this month (Jan 2013) this was our first time going there and I had always wanted to go. We were there Fri-Sun and I left with a OK feeling about the trip. I actually have more fun in Gatlinburg Tennessee which is 3 hours closer to my house lol
The hotel is right on the river as are a few more hotels but that was the cheapest price for the location. Bay street is the next street behind and those were be the next closet. Any way, The hotel staff was nice, helpful and funny. The hotel is suppose to be haunted especially the 3rd floor. We never seen anything but did her strange bumps in the night. Who knows???? We were suppose to get a river view and got total opposite. We got the street view on the other side of the hotel, but did have a small balcony, very small and shared with the room beside you, weird! The rooms was on the top (5th) floor and very small. You get that rustic Savannah feel with the rooms because they hotel is a old cotton mill redone. Which I like that rustic feel. I will advise you to bring your own pillow and maybe egg crate throw down (over top) of mattress mat. The beds are horrible!!!! We slept terribly all weekend. Our backs were killing us and we tossed and turned. Very hard cheap beds. I almost fell twice in the shower. Be careful stepping in because our tub was like ice it was so slick. The tv remote barely worked, thinking batteries was needed. There wasn't a hair dryer in our room, they had to go and look for one in another room which took a good 20 mins. I basically forgot mine by accident. The hall carpet could use cleaning BIG TIME. You have to use room door keys to also operate the elevators which at times didn't work and you would have to keep trying them. very aggravating. Fresh coffee every morning which my boyfriend loved that. You can actually go up on the top of the hotel by stairs with a better view if you want. We happened up on that. No one told us. That was neat to watch the huge ships go by. I hope I don't sound picky because I certainly am not. But for $149 a night I expected more. I hope this was of help to anyone.

Room Tip: There is not pool or at least I didn't see one. Not sure about how good the room service was be...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We chose the River Street Inn because it is downtown and allowed for easy walking to most sites of interest. We asked and received a river view room because we like to see ships. The rooms are small, especially when you ask for a refrigerator because they are found only in rooms with two beds. That seems unnecessary, but that's the way it is. If you are used to staying in large hotel rooms, this may not suit you, but I chose the location and historic value above size. Contrary to several reviews, the staff was always pleasant and accommodating. Note that parking is about a block away and costs $10 per day. I expected that so there was no problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Irmo, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We wanted a taste of historic Savannah and thought we found it here. We were very wrong. Where was the southern hospitality? Where was the customer service? Not here we discovered! Staff was rude and unwilling and uncaring to address our concerns and needs. What ever you do...don't occupy a river view room (at a higher price) unless you are a night owl and don't mind the noise from the bars below. I'm talking 2:30 am!!! The rooms were ok but not stellar for $200.00/night and there was no lounge, breakfast area or point of gathering. Our experience was very disappointing and would not recommenf anyone staying here. Certainly no bang for the buck!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lithia Springs, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I love historic places! Love antique's, love to visit and stay in quality, historic Inn's - this is NOT one of them. First of all, the front desk staff needs a quick tutorial in customer service. They need to be reminded that they are there to serve us during our stay there. My room was not clean, picked up, yes; clean, no. Colleagues of mine, found a dead roach, lying on his back in their room and he was there for the entire three night stay. Great housekeeping service, huh? The floor boards were coming loose, the linens had holes in them, the wallpaper and bed spreads were dated. Carpet in the rooms and in the common areas such as the hallways was worn and threadbare. The wine and cheese reception consisted of piped in 80's music and one choice or red/white wine with some cheese cubes and crackers. Overall, this Historic Inn needs to close down for a bit and get a major overhaul! At $179.00 per night - horrible value! They don't even have irons and ironing boards in each room.

Room Tip: A few rooms have jetted tubs and fireplaces but ask for a fireplace WITHOUT a roach!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Gotha, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights of our 39 honeymoon week here.We had a wonderful room with a little balcony where we enjoyed watching the big ships go by. The staff was great and when my wife left her coat in the room they promptly UPS it to us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mauston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location to the river and shops. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was so musty smelling we left a day early because I couldn't breath. Should have expected it because of the age and area of the Inn. Would not recommend for anyone wanted a quiet room or if you have a sensitivity to mold.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Called and talked to a funny, helpful guy and got a room. Checked in, parked and went to the room and its the sweet! River view, balcony, top floor, close as could be to things, so me and my wife walked back down and booked it for the next day.
Passing thru, went to spending the night, to spending two nights. Lol.

We're random some times!! But seriously.....only thing, if I have b#@$ about something, I like puffy pillows and/or a lot of them too sleep with and there's where a wittle thin.
A huge cargo ship just past by our window/door and was so cool looking and very quiet. Never seen one that close before.
If you here in Savannah stay at this inn or hotel. It's well worth it!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to River Street Inn? Share your experiences!