“pleasantly surprised” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
tallon69
“pleasantly surprised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

The Desoto was under construction, I was aware, my first room, 11th flr, was too intense I clld and was quickly switched to a quieter, 6th flr, newly renovated room. It was clean w/ modern decor. I spoke w/ the sweet helpful conceirge on atleast 3 occasions, valet was prompt and attentive they even grabbed some shoes from my trunk, on a day I didnt need my car, totally unexpected, when she offered to "just bring them to me". Room service was helpful and quick however the hotwings I had were subpar for $11 plus uber charges. Its short walking distance from tasty Harris's Bakery and just caddy corner from Six Pence...in addition its a 13 minute walk or $4.50 cab ride to River Street. I got a good deal w/ priceline but wouldnt hv been upset if i had paid more.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — construction
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

Air conditioner did not work. It took over an hour to get someone to check it out. He couldn't do anything, and the front desk said there were no other rooms available, so they sent up a fan.
We tried to sleep with the windows open and the fan going, but there were sirens several times during the night on the busy street below.
I wouldn't stay here again.

• Disliked — Bad service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

remodelling is pretty much an understatement. However we got a room on a finished floor well away from the noise, overlooking the pool. Good room, but they hoard the toilet tissue, so you seem to need to ask for some when the roll runs low. Doors are not snug, so you can hear the corridor.
Good value- $129 for a king; as HHonor gold we got breakfast thrown in; this was not all that marvellous, however. The short order chef finished her egg cooking at 9 on Saturday, when most had not yet arrived to eat.
Excellent location.

• Liked — value; location
  • Disliked — lack of toilet tissue until you asked
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, AL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

We booked in the Hilton because of past stays at Hilton hotels in other areas. It was under reconstruction and we were told that we had a 'new' room that had just been finished. Checked in, dropped off luggage and then went sight seeing before turning in for the night. On our return to our room my husband pulled the sheets back on the bed and discovered something that looked rather disgusting, food of some sort, so we insisted that someone come put fresh sheets on the bed. The bathroom, upon later inspection had not been completely cleaned either. There was alot of mold in the shower and it didn't drain. We were put into another room at our request and it was a little better. At least it appeared that an attempt had been made to clean it up. There seemed to be little insulation in the rooms/doors as we heard doors slamming and lots of loud racket at all hours in the night. It was one of the most unpleasant hotel stays that I can ever remember.

• Liked — Checking out!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

We stayed here one night on the way home from vacation in Fl. The hotel room was very clean and spacious. The pool was a little small, but still lots of fun for my young son. Food served in the restaurant in lobby was good. Perhaps a little overpriced, but good taste and southern variety. Decor of the restaurant has a lot to be desired though. Maybe when they finish their lobby and basement renovations, they will give the restaurant an update too.

Parking was okay, but a little confusing. They could do a better job of explaining. I also hate when a hotel like this has nerve to charge you for parking when you just dropped a big dime to stay in the hotel. They should have comped the fee.

• Liked — cost
  • Disliked — the construction and the slightly confusing under ground parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

Even though the lobby was under construction, our room had been newly redecorated. It was great. The bed was foam and sooo comfortable. Self-parking under the building was easy but be aware of the extra $11/day fee. But, for that they gave us a card and we could come in and out as many times a day as we wanted.

The check in was quick and we got a good recommendation on eating at the English pub about a block away. The Hilton restaurant and bar looked great but we didn't get a chance to try them.

The hotel is in a good location with some parks nearby and about a 1/2 mile easy walk to the waterfront.

I would recommend a GPS for navigating the city, though, since the streets start and stop unexpectedly.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
acsc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

I am a Hilton Honors member because I trust the brand name and have never been disappointed. But, I did a lot of research on this trip as I was bringing my nieces, age 7 and 9, who wanted to visit the Juliet Gordon Lowe/girl scout sites, the Lady and Sons Restaurant, and the african american heritage sites. Anyway, from the pictures on the website everything looked great. It mentioned nothing about construction. The pictures did not show the true look of the hotel. This hotel was under renovation. I had to ask that the rooms be re-done as they were not kept clean. We got sick from the room service food. They did refund us for the whole meal. THey also did not have any "kids" channels like Disney or Nickolodeon so I had to pay for a movie or a disney or nickoloden show every night. This seemed very purposeful. However, I do have to say that the managers, etc were very nice and helpful.

• Liked — the staff were very nice but that did not make up for the problems
  • Disliked — it was not clean, not family friendly
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Desoto Savannah? Share your experiences!