“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 112 hotels in Savannah
Cambridge
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Nice hotel. Older in construction but well maintained. Very helpful and friendly staff. The location is really the advantage of this Hotel. You are in the center of the city when you stay here, easy walk to the waterfront and close to historic homes and squares.

I would recommend this hotel. Despite starting to show its age it is still a great stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
RLPayson - Glad you enjoyed the historic property and the fantastic location, we look forward to seeing you in the future and appreciate the feedback!

982 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
RINGGOLD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Visited Savannah at the end of January for a business conference being held at the Desoto Hilton. This was my first trip to Savannah. The Hilton Desoto was a nice surprise as the hotel had been selected by the people putting the conference on. I found the hotel to be clean and well maintained and all the staff I encountered were extremely friendly and eager to assist.

The Hotel is in the historic district and I was able to walk every where I wanted to go. The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. If you want a fridge or microwave in your room then you need to get a corner king room or a suite. The walls are a bit on the thin side and you can hear goings on on adjacent rooms at times. The exercise room is located outside near the pool and is very good for hotel exercise rooms. There were two treadmills and elliptical and a bike, along with a full set of dumb bells and workout benches. Also there was another little room where you could do ab work or yoga. Headphones were available free of charge if you forgot yours. The pool area looked nice but pool was not heated and it was January.

A couple things to keep in mind. 1) All parking is valet and is $20 per day. The cars are kept under the hotel and you can get to your car fairly easily, if you need to, by calling and finding out which space its in. 2) There are only four elevators and if you there when a conference is going on there can be a long line when events let out for the day.

On the whole I enjoyed my stay and would happily return.

Room Tip: If your very close to the elevators you can hear some elevator related noise so if you area light sl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Chris_Tracy Ringold - Thanks for a wonderful review and for staying with us! We look forward to seing you the next time you come to Savannah!
Pensacola, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Desoto Hilton is a Wonderful hotel! The location could not be better if you're looking to explore the historic district (it is centered between the river and forsythe park), and the rooms offer beautiful views of the city. The staff were kind and courteous, always there to assist with a smile. The hotel was clean, beautifully decorated, and offered any amenity necessary. I will definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends and will be staying here if/when I return to the Savannah area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ashleylynne - We work hard at making sure we give our guests a great experience! It is great to hear that you had a great stay and that the service and the cleaniliness were on point! Thanks for taking the time to write the review and we look forward to your return, thanks for the recommendation to others as well!
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at this property last year. It is a pretty building and was kept very clean. It's not on Bay Street, but isn't a bad walk to the river. The hotel staff was very nice but lacked personality. If I ask for a restaurant recommendation, I expect to hear what your favorite is and why, or at least what to avoid....give me something. I asked various staff members throughout our stay, and kept being directed to a rack of brochures. This may just be a Hilton thing. I've started to notice that more and more of the employees(only at "Hilton", rather than Doubletree or Hampton) are starting to give what seem like scripted greeting and responses rather than being themselves. It may not be their fault. Original thought may be discouraged by management. I love Savannah. When I stay, I want to talk to local people who know which places are good, and which places are fly by night and/or run by people who moved down from Jersey 6 months ago.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels that they are receiving the utmost amount of service. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Nokesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Clean hotel, as expected from Hilton. Valet parking though. It is located in apart of the town parking is extremely limited. If you are traveling in a large vehicle I would not recommend staying at this location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Mike P - Thanks for writing a positive review on the hotel. There are some options for larger vehicles depending upon the size and the Valets should know the drill if the question arises..
Dennis, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight on a trip to Fla. The hotel is very clean, comfortable and close enough to everything. The rooms are updated, clean and comfortable. The staff is very attentive and knowledgable. I plan on staying there on our return trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
epstem - Thanks for taking the time to write and we truly appreciate the positive review and we look forward to seeing you on your way back through! Travel safe.
Holland, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I booked this stay just a few hours before I arrived through Hotwire. I knew I was taking a chance on what I would get since I didn't get to pick hotel, room or location. We were in historic Savannah but was hoping for closer to the waterfront. The hotel is beautiful upon enter and through out. We received a room on the 8th floor so the view was wonderful. My husband enjoyed the balcony but would have been nice to have had a chair of some sort. Myself being afraid of heights didn't go past the door so I was fine without one. I was disappointed that it had two double beds but that is my fault for using Hotwire and not being able to specify what I wanted. The beds though we're very soft and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and the valets go above by recommending where to eat upon arrival and removed the old soda bottle from my console upon departure. The parking cost though should be included in the room price in my opinion but at $20 is a lot cheaper than the cost in New Orleans. The walk to the waterfront is manageable if your are in decent health but would be quite difficult otherwise. Discovered the Sorrel- Weeds home on the next corner so that was a plus. Either direction you traveled had wonderful historic parks and historic buildings. Although I did get told that I was staying in the most hated hotel because it had replaced the original historic Desoto hotel instead of remodeling it after purchased. All in all a nice stay just don't use Hotwire to book and don't tell the locals where you are staying.

• Stayed January 2013
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Belinda L -Wow interesting, I appreciate your feedback. Not sure what the whole hated hotel thing is about from the local as this hotel opened in 1968 and has been renovated several times since then, The owners have tried to keep a lot of the old elegance in place so I can only assume the local you spoke to was going back to the very original Desoto and sometimes from a cost standpoint it's not realistic to renovate versus rebuild. Interesting feedback though and I appreciate the time you took to write and i am glad to see you enjoyed your stay!

Been to Hilton Desoto Savannah? Share your experiences!