“better than expected, great time was had!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #46 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
flo-ida
“better than expected, great time was had!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We looked at lots of reviews on this hotel after booking blindly, some good, some bad..but happy to say we really were pleased. You must expect small spaces in this city- and the room might be a little on the small side, however it was perfectly pleasant.

The bathroom was modernized, with lovely Peter Thomas Roth toiletries, the beds were only full sized- certainly not queens. Our children were travelling with us or else we would've booked a king. The bedding was really nice and cozy, duvets and feather pillows.

There is some truth to the walls being thin- we didn't hear our neighbors,but there were lots of kids staying across the hall and we could hear them talking in the corridor while lying in our beds, I mean we could hear everything. Luckily we didn't have rowdy neighbors because I c
ould see myself getting annoyed if it kept me up,or my children. That's just one of those old hotel things tho,nothing to be upset about. I remember some reviews saying the elevators took forever, but we didn't have that problem-maybe more of an issue when hotel is really busy.

Ive seen what you get for your money at some hotels in this town,and this is very nice! The check in was easy, fast, and pleasant- the lobby is pretty although I didn't eat in the restaurant so I cant comment. There is a coffee bar in the lobby that serves starbucks also and probably muffins and fruit. In the neighborhood there are plenty of little places to get a snack-and fyi there is a cvs up the road in case you've forgotten anything.

Location was great for us, we parked our car at the hotel (ill admit I don't like the cost,although convenience won us out this trip as we knew we would be walking everywhere) and enjoyed the central location among forsyth park, lots of cute cafes and pubs. Less touristy than right on the river, which gets old to me quickly.

Note first timers there is a public bus called the dot that takes a big circle around. The historic district and is free. Look it up. It was a good way to get back to the hotel after one long day with kids. And you get to do a bit of sightseeing..

All in all a pleasant stay- housekeeping was right on top of replentishing toiletries,etc. Lobby and valet were great. Would certainly return if our travels took us this way again.

Room Tip: Higher up has better views,but elevators are a bit on the old side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
travelchic76 - Thank you for the positive feedback and for staying with us. While the hotel is older we certainly try to keep it up the best we can, the location is dynamic and certainly makes for a perfect setting to get to the river or Forsyth Park which gives you a great opportunity to see the squares and enjoy Savannah in general. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had a great time st this hotel!!! Great hostess and great personnel!!! The rooms were very clean and decorated with taste! The rooms have a little balcony where you can breath fresh air,, conveniently located 10 mins walking distance to river walk and to the little churches. Very nice town...and lovely hoitel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
xsweteileenx - Thanks for taking the time to write and we truly appreciate the great fedback! Come see us again soon.
Spartanburg, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We returned here for new year's eve. Had not stayed here in a few years. All staff were extremely friendly and cooperative. They had an unusual deal where you get upgraded for $12 if it is available (and it was). The room was larger than the norm and comfortable. The hotel had
been renovated since our last stay. If you like traditional, this is a nice place. Bathrooms had all
the modern updated features. Location is good and there is plenty is easy walking distance.
We walked to a good restaurant in city market. The deal on valet is a bit of a scam because
you really have no choice, which also means you have to involve bellmen. Price of the room
was reasonalbe enough that we were ok with it. We opted for the breakfast package, which was
well worth the extra cost.

Room Tip: Go ahead and opt to spend the extra $8 or $12 for an upgrade. Add the breakfast package.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
scmaddux - We appreciate your feedback, parking has become much tighter in Savannah and most of the full service properties have went to valet for this reason, we do offer unlimited in/out privileges which is nice rather than getting charged each time you leave. We certainly appreciate the positive feedback and we look forward to your return if coming back!
Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We pricelined for this hotel at the last minute and got a room for $81 on a saturday night. We may have been able to get it for less. I bid higher than I normally do because it was the last minute and I would to more likely get a room. this is a fabulous hotel. the outside looks historic. the inside has been beautifully redone. the lobby is huge. the rooms are not the best I have seen in a high end property, but still very nice. the valet staff were excellent. the night desk clerk person went out of her way to help me. the wifi in room was free which I find to be unusual for high end properties. very close to the hotel is a Parkers gourmet market which is open 24/7 so it is easy to get good food for less than hotel prices if you want. this was the first property I have ever stayed out where you need to go outside, past the pool, to get to the fitness room. the fitness room was perfectly adequate. everything in the room was up to date and worked fine.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gary H - thanks for the kind fedback and for staying with us. I appreciate the feedback on the facility as she is old but we try to maintain her the best we can! I am glad to see you had a great stay and we look forward to seing you again and staying with us here at the historic Hilton Desoto!
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is an older property which has been well maintained. Located next to Bull Street, it is an easy and beautiful twelve minute walk to the waterfront (River Street). The room is comfortably large and well designed. However, the bathroom is a bit small and tight in its narrow configuration. A word about the shower here is noteworthy. The shower in our room put out some serious water pressure and volume! I'm talking fire hose grade. A little lever on the shower head adjusts the spray from a "riot control" setting to "Old Faithful". Don't get me wrong as I did enjoy my shower but I have never had this kind of water pressure in any hotel before. One issue was we were able to easily hear our neighbors in the next room. Additional sound proofing would be nice. Also be advised that in the event you want to sleep latter than a rooster, you must put your "do not disturb" sign out as housekeeping is ambitious to start cleaning sometime shortly after 8:00 am. All staff was friendly and helpful. As stated by others, the location is fairly convenient for walking to most points of interest in this great walking city. We enjoyed our two day stay here and would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cudame - thanks for taking the time to write some feedback, I agree water pressure is not an issue here! I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return if coming back to the area. Thanks for staying with us.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had a great time at this hotel! I got a great price after signing up for emails through Savannah visitors guide and even got free valet parking! The rooms were spaciaous and came with 2 free water bottles. We had a view of the street and while some fire engines drove by there was not really any noise. Room service was reasonable and the restaurant we went for breakfast. The first day at breakfast I ordered cereal and soy milk. I was happy to say they had soy milk! A plus for me since I'm vegan. The second day I ordered the same thing and was given 2 small boxes of cereal and 2 small containers of soy milk which I was able to save for the next day. Not sure why when I ordered the same thing it came in different ways but oh well, no biggie. there is a safe in the room which we didn't use. There was no fridge though. When requested we were told that it was for people with health problems only. They had a nice small bar in the hotel and also a coffee cart so to speak. One fun thing we did was the Hearse Ghost Tour which picks you up right in front of the hotel. It was a blast! the location of the hotel was perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Room Tip: Beds are very soft... Requested a cot and it was just right!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
karolyn1 - Thanks for the wonderful feedback and for staying with us at the Hilton Desoto. We appreciate the feedback and we look forward to your return when coming to Savannah!
South Jordan, Utah, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We used Hotwire and got this hotel, we were excited because it was a Hilton. We have been so unimpressed. Our floor smells like smoke, housekeeping never came to clean our room, the beds are small, and things just look old and outdated. Also, they only do valet parking and it is $20 a day! We parked right across the street and since it is the weekend we don't have to pay for the meters-- it takes me less time to walk to my car than it would have to had it valet parked-- ridiculous! We were also excited because it said there was a pool on the roof-- turns out it is the roof of the second floor and it is outside and not heated! My kids were so disappointed. All in all, I wish I would have spent a little more and stayed somewhere nicer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Marisa D - Thanks for the feedback, I am sorry your stay was not what you expected, we certainly try to make all of our guests happy. We have only 3 smoking rooms in the hotel so depending upon what floor you were on this can be resolved, also we do have larger suites available which connect to rooms with double beds, some suites have pull out sofas but these options would give you more room. We are not a new build but we have renovated over the years so we are a little different than some of the newer facilities on the river front,. come back in the summer with the kids and I am sure we can make you more happy!

Been to Hilton Desoto Savannah? Share your experiences!