“Southern Gen” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, Georgia
“Southern Gen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

When I visit Savannah, my hotel of choice is the Hilton Savannah DeSoto. Location is ideal for anyone who wants to be right there in the city center. Once you are checked-in, there is no need to move your car. Walk out the front door and you are minutes from River Street The rooms are newly renovated and can accommodate basic amenity needs. Most of the room-views are toward the city squares but it does not hurt to ask the front desk staff for "a room with a view".

www.myalistlife.com

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
SavannahDesoto, Manager at Hilton Desoto Savannah, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. You are right, once you are at the DeSoto, you can leave your car keys behind, and everything you need is within a short walk including the Historic Squares right outside the doors.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We booked this hotel the day before our trip through Priceline. Upon arrival we were given a room with double beds, across from all the meeting rooms, in a smoking room. Now I know that since we booked the hotel room through Priceline, we were not guaranteed anything specific (king size bed, non-smoking, etc.) as it says in the terms of service that these have to be arranged with the hotel directly. In fact, the only thing that really bothered me was the fact that is was a smoking room, as the smell was really bad and my husband and I are non-smokers. So I decided to try my luck and ask the front desk staff if there was any way that we could move to a non-smoking room.

When we asked at the front desk, we were first asked what our room number was. When we told him, he then proceeded to tell us that there were no rooms available, that the hotel was "booked solid". Now this seemed unlikely to me, as I had just booked the day before at a rate of 65% off, and why would they give me a deal like that on Priceline if they were booked? So I decided to get on the internet and try to book a room for the exact nights we would be there. Not only were there plenty of rooms available, but there were specifically non-smoking rooms available. So it was perceived by my husband and I that we were intentionally lied to, which really ticked me off. I think it was because they give the Priceline customers certain rooms, maybe the more run-down rooms in less desirable locations (i.e. across from the meeting rooms), but that is just my theory.

Other than being given false information, the room was in great need of repairs, but was clean. Parking is double what you can pay in other garages at $13 a night, but we parked there anyway for convenience. The location of the hotel is great, but I agree with other reviewers that this hotel is not worth it. Also, being across from the meeting rooms meant that we were occasionally awakened early in the morning if there were meetings that day. The fitness center was a nice touch, and the pool area looked really nice although it was too cold for us to use it.

Overall, I was ok with the hotel for the money I paid for it, but I would never recommend it at full price. Quality of staff was very hit or miss, some were great and some were rude.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that your stay was less than you had expected and certainly not the experience we strive to give all of our guests. While I do not know the exact days you were here, weekends and St. Patrick's Day truly are sell-out dates in Savannah's historic District. We value all of our guest’s business regardless of how they secured their reservations with us.

In terms of the parking, are rates are very competitive and in fact lower than most other hotels in the Historic District. And, if you are here on a weekend, you can park at metered parking for free.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a more pleasant experience.

Thank you.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We have been to Savannah many times, but this was our first stay at the Savannah Desoto. The location of this hotel is great; it is within walking distance of just about everything you would want to do in the historic district. However, we have stayed at other hotels in the area that are 4* and less expensive. The lobby of the hotel is nice, but the rooms and elevator need to be redone. The showers are especially out dated. The walls of the hotel are paper-thin, and we could hear everything that anyone said on our hall. I am not sure if they outsource their parking, but the valet staff was great. The hotel staff were very unaccommodating and at some points rude. We asked for an ironing board (which is supposed to already be in the room) and they were extremely rude about getting one for us. I would not stay at this hotel again, and would instead stay at another hotel in the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. It sounds as though you had a series of misfortunate errors on our part. I do hope at some point in the future you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a better stay.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed at The Hilton DeSoto, right in the middle of many places & things to do, we parked Friday evening & walked everywhere & didn't get back into our vehicle until we left Monday morning. We paid $13.00 a night for parking (we didn't expect that, but it was convenient). The check-in was quick & easy & the staff was very helpfull, so we were in our room in no time. The room had 2 double beds, with soft cotton sheets & a down comforter, which were all white & clean! The room had a nice flats creen TV & a big desk to hook your laptop up on with easy access. There was a nice lobby with a bar, which we had a drink at while waiting for our "limo" for our ghost tour to arrive. The pool was on the 2nd floor (our window view from the 3rd floor) & was not opened, it was a nice warm, sunny day (in the upper 70's) & I would have loved to gone for a swim, but being February, I guess it would cost too much to heat it during the cold months. I would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you had such a nice stay here in Savannah and at the Hilton DeSoto.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

The location of this hotel is great - walking distance from the river or the large park. We had a corner room with a very cool view of ships on the river... nice!

The room was just fine, the staff friendly. The bathroom had some water pressure issues, but they seemed to be fixed by our second day. Web access was free, which is always nice!

Parking seemed pricey, and we had some trouble finding a spot one day - there were people really making up spaces in the garage. But still, nothing so bad as to not recommend it.

If the price was right (including parking), we'd stay here again - you can't beat the location.

If you're looking for a meeting room, they did a nice job with our committee meeting. The food was pretty good, and the room was roomy enough...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate your staying with us and look forward to seeing you again.
Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Had a 2 night stay with my husband. We had a very smooth check in. The front desk personnel provided excellent service all weekend ( with checking in, questions, printing boarding passes, etc. ). We got a corner room with a king size bed. The room had a great view facing east & north, so we could see the sun rise & at night see one of the church's steeples all lit up. It also had a balcony with a sliding glass door. However, the sliding glass door was old and allowed a fair amount of street noise in.

The room was clean and large but it needs updating on items like the sliding glass door. Our room had a refrigerator, coffee pot with Lavazza coffee, a magnifying mirror, hair dryer, a vanity area with chair & sink, a large flat screen TV and a comfortable bed. The room was not very sound proof since we could hear the people out in the hallway fairly easily.

The hotel has a great location which is not too far from Forsyth Park. My husband & I enjoyed walking to all many of the squares and to River Street. We ate breakfast at 2 local eateries that are about 1/2 block away & recommend both- the Harris Bread Company and J. Christophers.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We are working to correct some of the issues you pointed out and hope you will again stay with us when in Savannah.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

The hotel room was very clean and MOST staff was very helpful. The breakfast buffet was wonderful! The location was not the best in the world. Didn't seem to be very centrally located :( ..my final review is parking ; OMG! This situation ruined my vaca almost. We paid $13 to park in the parking lot, we left to go to our event. When we returned we new there was a wedding going on..as we entered the Parkin lot we were told it was full. When I approached the " manager" he directed me down the street to the "overflow" parking. Then told me I had to make multiple calls to get the billing situated??? What?? The manager who was too old to be working and extremely RUDE and had no business being a manager. Besides that situation everything was ok just too far from downtown :)

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Hilton Desoto Savannah? Share your experiences!