“Fabulous stay, but won't pass the white sock test” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% Off + FREE Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Kent, WA
“Fabulous stay, but won't pass the white sock test”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed four nights at Marshall House in September 2013. The staff was absolutely fabulous! Very helpful and friendly, they greeted us by name each time we walked in the door.

The breakfast spread was very nice - they had a variety of breads and bagels, an egg dish, hot cereal, cold cereal, yogurt, fruits, pastries, biscuits and more each morning. Wine hour was so relaxing each afternoon, so nice to come back after a day of touring and relax with wine and cheese.

We had a king balcony room. The clawfoot tub was very cool, and the balcony was so relaxing. I made it a point to go out there each morning and evening and I never saw another person on it - it was very private. I made use of the wifi and took my iPad outside for a peaceful time of surfing and catching up with friends.

This being reputedly a haunted hotel, I did have an experience during the night when the bed started shaking. It kind of freaked me out but I eventually went back to sleep with no harm done. :-)

The only downside was the lax housekeeping. The first night I cut my leg shaving and got a smear of blood on the sheets. That blood was still there when I checked out four days later, so we never had our sheets changed. The room looked clean, but walking barefoot earned me black feet at the end of each night.

All in all, the location couldn't be better nor could the staff be more friendly or welcoming. I would stay here again, but I think I would be a little more insistent about cleanliness at the start.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

An outstanding facility, staff was helpful and very friendly. Everything within walking distance. Awesome historic area. Bar was very comfortable and inviting. Would recommend this hotel as well as Savannah as a destination point. Breakfast was filling, variety of choices. Wine and cheese reception was a nice touch as well. Overall an extremely nice place. Just wish I could have seen a ghost or two...

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel itself is beautifully decorated. The lobby was very comfortable and inviting. Most of the staff was pleasant and hospitable. Unfortunately we changed rooms 3 times due to the size. I understand historical buildings pose a challenge because of the size of the rooms, however the furniture was way too big for the rooms and made it too cramped. There was no space to place toiletries on in the bathroom and it was too difficult for two people to function. We ended cutting our stay short because we just couldn’t get comfortable.
Our room was #323, which had two windows, both looking straight into a parking garage.

I thought the Marshall House was beautiful and I really wanted to like it there, but unfortunately the rooms were not comfortable at all. I think it would be fine for one night, but not for an extended stay.

Room Tip: Room 323 faces a parking garage.
Medina, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Marshall House for one night on a Sunday. Our room was a Queen on the top floor overlooking Broughton Street. A nice mixture of furniture in the room made it very inviting. Wine and cheese reception in the evening was a nice touch. A lot of history in this beautiful building. Conveniently located to walk the historic district from the river front to the Savannah squares. Abundant restaurants and shops with in a five minute walk. Hotel has valet parking but there are public parking garages very close by.

Bryson City, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

we have been to savannah many times and stayed at different places, some ok some not so ok. we have finally found the best place to stay every time we go there. from the start Jackie took my reservation and I felt as though she was a friend. she gave me all the details that I needed and made me look forward to meeting her. upon arrival the desk clerks found her for me and she rushed to introduce herself. we had a wonderful stay, the room was beautiful and extremely clean. the entire hotel is just wonderful. the breakfasts were fresh, wholesome and delicious. the wine and cheese gatherings were so nice and all the guests were such friendly people. I unfortunately got sick the day before we were to check out, plus we had paid for tickets for the dinner cruise on the paddlewheeler. my husband informed Jackie and she told him not to worry about anything we would be credited on our card for the last day and she called and spoke to someone at the dock about the tickets and informed my husband that he could return them for a refund. she went so far beyond just an employee. what a lady. but I can honestly say all of the employees were so gracious and hospitable. also the room was so quiet at night, I never heard one noise, which is unheard of in a hotel. thank you marshall house, I will never stay elsewhere again. ginny and bobby bonnette, Bryson city, n.c.

Room Tip: we stayed on the fourth floor at the end of a hallway. I never heard a sound at night. even during...
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

On the way home from a road trip to Florida, we decided to take a quick look at Savannah. We chose this historic hotel because of its location and good reviews. From the welcoming valet service to the helpful concierge to the charming room - high ceilings, original wood plank flooring, comfortable bed with quality linens - we were delighted. Monday through Thursday the hotel provides complimentary wine and cheese in their lounge area - it was a nice chance to relax and talk with other guests. The best piece of advice we got was from the concierge, who could not get us a table at the Olde Pink House until 9:45 pm. Instead he suggested that we try their basement piano bar -- same menu served on first come first served basis. It was the highlight of our trip.

Sulphur Springs, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Oldest hotel in Savannah. Well kept up. Extremely welcoming staff. Excellent location and good prices. Nice wine reception in the late afternoon and a good variety of breakfast selections. The staff was helpful in providing ideas for activities and restaurants and transportation. They found us a taxi when our shuttle from the Blues Festival was unavailable

Room Tip: The double rooms are small, but well-decorated and comfortable. Not much of a view, but we were out...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marshall House? Share your experiences!