“Lovely, but...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Lovely, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

The Marshal House is a historic property -- lovely architecture and delightfully situated downtown. I would give the hotel a much higher rating, but instead of encountering the ethereal spirits of the Civil War dead on the 4th floor, my travel companion and I acquired an infestation of springtails that have created no end of havoc and expense now that we're back home. Springtails are not fleas, mites, or bed bugs, but they do thrive in damp spaces like those found in our room. Most unfortunate.

Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and absolutely loved the location and the Southern charm. This place has been here since the mid 1800s and you can tell in the decor and architecture. The service was great and the breakfast standard. A couple caveats is that valet parking is required. You can park yourself but still have to pay and the garage is not as secure. The Marshall House is notorious for being haunted and although we saw no ghosts, there is definitely an eerie feel to it in the middle of the night. If you are looking for a historic place to stay in the heart of Savannah then this is the place!

• Stayed September 2012
Martinez, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Knowledgable and friendly staff. Rooms are exceptional; beds are very comfortable. Enjoyed the wine and cheese reception in the evenings. Located in the Historic District with many sights and restaurants in walking distance. We will definately stay here again when visting Savannah.

Lisa and Dave

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Marshall House is a beautiful historic property which has been well restored. The lobby and ground floor are especially lovely but as nice as the renovation is, it's unfortunately also a really noisy hotel. The old wooden floors and ill fitting doors sadly don't work in a hotel environment where people want to sleep.

Also, as some other reviewers have commented, the rooms somehow don't feel quite clean and the rug around the bed was really quite unpleasant.

That said, the location is good, the staff were very friendly and they offer complimentary wine and cheese (Mon-Thurs I believe) which is a nice touch. Breakfast is also complimentary and while it's not a gourmet offering, I've had way worse. It's certainly the first place I've ever been had quiche for breakfast!

To summarise, it's a nice place but I probably wouldn't stay there again... and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's a light sleeper.

Tip: Don't use their expensive valet parking as there are plenty of parking garages literally around the corner which charge a fraction of the price.

Eufaula, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I found Marshall House online, and called the hotel directly for reservations. Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted at the curb of the hotel by Armando for valet service. He was so welcoming and friendly. He ushered us into the hotel lobby and waited with our luggage while we registered. He showed us to our room, and kindly answered questions we had about the hotel and the surrounding area. We enjoyed the wine and cheese receptions both nights we were at the hotel, and met two couples with whom we exchanged email addresses. We will definitely stay at Marshall House again, should our travels take us back to Savannah, and will certainly recommend the hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to choose a room facing the street. We had no trouble with street noise at nigh...
San Clemente, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was very happy with our decision to stay at Marshall House. I rate it a 5 relative what I would expect for the price and the hotel class. In other words, while it’s not a “5-star” hotel, I can’t imagine a better value and it was one of the better hotels I’ve stayed in for the price (well under $200/night). I would recommend it for most travelers. The location is great and easy walking distance to the historic district and river street.

A lot of the charm comes from the fact that the building dates back to the Civil War – however, the remodel was successful in making everything extremely comfortable. It felt more recently redone than 1999. We had a double queen room on the second floor overlooking the atrium, which was a pretty view. The third and fourth floor inside rooms didn’t seem like they would have as nice of a view (they were up above the atrium roof) and I’m not sure what the external views would be like (not sure if you could see the river, for example). The décor was comfortable and honored the history of the hotel without being stuffy or dated. The room was clean but not spotless; a few places could use a bit of a scrub and a previous guest’s tag (trash) was on the floor—but nothing felt dirty. The bed was comfortable with good-quality linens. It was a generously-sized room with nice touches like free bottled water.

The staff was exceedingly friendly and eager to help us make plans. The Olde Pink House was booked for dinner so they recommended another restaurant (Alligator Soul) that was great. Breakfast was very well done with delicious quiche and huge muffins on top of the expected cereal and bagels. The wine and cheese in the evening was a wonderful start to our night and I just love hotels that offer a wine reception. I’ve also never seen friendlier valets and bellhops.

My husband and I traveled with our 2-year-old and I chose Marshall House because it was the top “family” rated hotel on Trip Advisor. Thanks to the large room (no problem with the Pack & Play) and friendly staff, it worked really well for us. I wouldn’t say “kid friendly” (no pool, etc.) but I felt quite welcome as a family. We didn’t see any other children and the guests tended to be couples, both young and old. We got a great night’s sleep. I don’t have any reservations recommending the hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I enjoy staying at the Marshall House when visiting Savannah. The staff are always attentive, knowledgeable and available. The rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. I've stayed in one of the rooms on the front and found it too noisy (I'm not used to street noise), but this time I stayed in one of the Courtyard Suites. It was much quieter and the extra room was nice. I thought the value was good, but the bathroom was surprisingly small. Also, some of the amenities weren't as nice as you'd expect from a hotel that looks like the Marshall House. The breakfast was tasty, but nothing cooked to order. The wine and cheese reception is JUST that - wine and cheese. I'd pay a bit more to have better coffee and an omelet, better toiletry items and afternoon tea and cookies in addition to the wine and cheese. Again - the staff is excellent and the value is good. I will be returning to the Marshall House!

Room Tip: The rooms on the front can be smaller and noisier, but the suites are a terrific value.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marshall House? Share your experiences!