“great staff terrible hotel management” 4 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #49 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“great staff terrible hotel management”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

There were a few great things about the staff at the hotel. Anthony in catering and event set up should have been the assistant manager because Alex was not very happy or Nora with a church event. Especially a gospel conference. David Cheek was a blessing to us at guest services and the housekeeping staff could not have been more courteous. The sites and access were really nice and so were the rooms. If you are from a church or having a church event this is not the place for you. The GM was very helpful with our problems but the used car convention was a problem to have at the same time especially the two that used the N word on the elevator. Breakfast buffet was okay except for cold biscuits and scrambled eggs.; Look out for mgt but enjoy staff

Green Features: wi fi did not work in room till hotel let me have paid wifi for no charge
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Fred J,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences and challenges experienced during your conference. We strive to exceed each guests expectations and we fell short of that goal during your stay. I am happy to hear that Anthony and David were able to assist you in making sure everything was corrected. We thank you for your business and hope that you will allow us another opportunity again in the future.

eCommerce Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Bonifay, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I really appreciated the professional and friendly staff. I was treated with great respect and courtesy by every staff member I met.

I enjoyed the meals in the dining room and conference. The food was delicious but pricey. Drink service in the bar was great.

The conference area was well managed. My room was a bit dated, but clean.

Great job Hyatt.

Stayed July 2014
Dear RJG1999,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and found our staff to be friendly and the conference was a success. I hope that next time your travels return you to Savannah you will visit with us again.

SpingBreakAshley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I actually booked this hotel through priceline, not knowing what I was going to get. If you don't already know how it works, you pay upfront and choose what level hotel (how many stars) you want to stay at. They give you a discounted price, and after payment you find out where you will be staying. I was very pleased when I heard that The Hyatt was the hotel we got! When we arrived there was a military ball of some sort happening in the lobby. It was very cool to experience the men in their uniforms and women in long gowns representing the US. We lucked out on timing there! Check in went smooth, and the employees at the hotel were very accommodating. The concierge, valet staff, and front desk women went out of their way to help us feel comfortable and taken care of. The only down side to this was contacting them from our room. It sometimes took about 3 or 4 phone calls to the operator before a successful connection with who we were trying to reach. The hotel was big, and the location was PERFECT. It was located very centrally, directly on River Street, so it was easy to get to where we wanted to go. There were lots of pubs and restaurants close by. Its also waterfront which was beautiful. The hotel itself was a little older then most Hyatt properties I have stayed at in the past, but thats part of Savannah's charm. Old buildings with a lot of history is what makes Savannah so intriguing. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again if passing through Savannah in our travels!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SpringBreakAshley,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found the staff accommodating! Our best compliment is a returning guest and it is wonderful to hear that you will return when your travels bring you to Savannah. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kingsland, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Let me start off by saying I arrived at the hotel at 12 noon but couldn't check into my room until 5:30p. The staff tried very hard to be accommodating and I do appreciate that. The room was not that impressive, because there was no refrigerator or microwave. The rooms were clean otherwise. If my company didn't pay for the room, I probably would have stayed somewhere else.

Dear LaShuntaia H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the delay in checking into your guest room. I am pleased to hear that our staff tried very hard to accommodate you during your wait. We take our guest feedback very seriously and I will discuss this with the appropriate team members for review and discussion. I hope that if your travels return you to Savannah that you will allow us another opportunity.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The location is great. Right on the river. This hotel is a little tired but the staff is NOT. Southern courtesy and hospitality at ever turn. Attentive staff and tons of smiles.
Rooms are good and the beds are comfortable with very comfortable pillows. Bathroom is dated with basic tiles and tub. Tub had great water pressure but no pressure at the sink.
Rooms are clean and fresh.
Be sure to arrange a taxi before you leave as they don't stand out front. You will be late to the airport otherwise. The great staff make up for facility weaknesses.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Joe L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your most recent visit with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found the staff to be attentive. I am excited to inform you that we are currently in the planning stages of a guest room renovation. I hope that next time your travels bring you to Savannah you will visit us again and experience our new product.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I'll start by saying the view was lovely, I found it was convenient to have such close access to River Street, and the room service was fast. That's about all I can say to compliment this hotel. Before even checking in for my stay and the military ball I was attending, the valet explained that the parking garage was full and that I'd have to park elsewhere. Mind you, the woman said this without answering my inquiry as to where a nearby garage would be so I ended up having to walk close to 1/4 mile in formal attire while dragging a good deal of luggage. After finally making it inside the lobby I mentioned this exhausting ordeal to the clerk who was a bit taken back. Turns out, there was plenty of space for me to have parked on the hotel's property. The service at the ball was amazing, the staff I encountered there were all kind and helpful.

Everything was downhill from this point on. There was an apparent and severely embarrassing mishap at the front desk after the ball which lead to a pair of strangers bursting into my room while in the midst of changing into some casual wear. As a young woman, being caught off-guard without clothes by two equally horrified individuals is one of the most terrifying experiences. I immediately packed my bags, went downstairs, and confronted the woman working at the front desk who told me the couple had accidently been booked in my room. Instead of offering an apology she gave me a blank stare while the other two clerks quietly snickered amongst themselves. After a long process, I spoke with the manager for that shift. She treated the situation lightly and even had the audacity to say, "I don't see where any of this is that big of a deal." I ultimately decided to leave, received a full refund for my stay, and I'm guessing the other couple did as well because I unfortunately ran into them on my way out. Needless to say, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ana T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the challenges that you experienced during your visit. We strive to exceed each guests expectations while they are here and we fell short of this goal. I hope that you will view this as an isolated incident and return again to allow us another opportunity.

Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

There was a long wait to check in, system was down. However, when I finally checked in I was given a dirty room. One of the beds was not made, ice still in ice bucket, trash in room and bathroom. They sent maid to room, she did not want to change sheet, just came to make bed up. Had to call back to front desk (why would I want to sleep on the same sheets that the person before me slept on). The next day ate breakfast in my room and left plate and glass, maid "cleaned room" but left the dirty dish with food still on it. This hotel need to conduct quality control inspections behind their maids!

Room Tip: try to get river view