“Great Southern Hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Decatur, Georgia
“Great Southern Hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in Savannah, but I must say the quality of customer service was execeptional. Every staff member was so very kind and courteous. The hotel provides a great location which is situated on the riverfront. I upgraded to a river view suite and was very satisfied with my decision. I enjoyed the on site restaurtant (Vu Lounge). The only downside is that the hotel needs an upgrade. The furniture and overall decor is starting to show a lot of wear. Also, for a hotel of this class, it would have been nice to have a larger tv with HD channels. Overall a great stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Brian M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found the staff exceptional! We are in the planning phase of a renovation and we would look forward to you returning and seeing our new product.

E-Commerce Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

These rooms are a little bit outdated but still very nice. They are spacious rooms, and the beds are comfortable. The rooms are pretty noisy due to the location right in the middle of all the touristy stuff, and especially noisy if you are in one of the conjoining rooms.

The staff was very friendly and always helpful, and the hotel lobby and hotel bar are nice. The main thing you pay for here is the location, and if that was all I was reviewing on, it would be 5 stars easily. You can walk to the ferry to go across the river, to various restaurants and bars, and plenty of parks/squares. It is easy to get to and get in and out of. Beware that parking will cost you at least $17/day (for self park, $24/day for valet).

The price wasn't outrageous either, and if I could, I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars (but not quite 4).

Room Tip: Make sure you remember that you have to pay to park.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Blake W,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, outlets and that the staff was friendly and helpful. I am excited to let you know that we are in a planning phase of our renovation and I hope that you will return next time you come back to Savannah and see our new product!

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

As most reviewers have said, the location is exceptional. It's perfectly situated for exploring the historic district, however there are a few others that could boast the same - The Bohemian, the Andaz, The River Street Inn.

The staff is absolutely lovely - Justine at the front desk was very helpful and kind; Mary Elizabeth, our server at Vu, was a gem.

I didn't mind the outdated decor so much, but we paid more for an upgraded room and ended up next to a stretch of hallway that was closed off due to work being done, it caused a very musty smell to waft down the hallway and at times it went into our room.

I may stay here again at a low rate, but I wouldn't recommend paying full price until some major renovations are completed (which I believe are planned).

Room Tip: Definitely get an outside view, if you want a balcony go with the River view, if the balcony doesn...
Dear Lesley S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit with us. I am delighted to hear that our location was perfect for your adventures in Savannah and that you found the staff, specifically Justine and Mary Elizabeth, to be lovely. We are in the planning phase of a renovation and I hope that when your travels return you to Savannah you will visit with us again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed here on Hyatt points for 3 nights in a River front room, 634. Had a great spot to view the 4th of July fireworks from the room. There are 4 bars literally right across the street, so you don't have to go far. Elevator down to River St. for everything there. Overall a nice property. The small TV in the room seemed out of place, bathroom could use some work but still okay. Internet was stable and fast.

Valet is $25/night with in/out. If you were to valet at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago it's almost $60/night there. Cabs - they are not lining up around the corner. Make sure you tell valet you need a cab and they will call.

You cannot beat the location. Get an outside view room or you will be looking into the atrium.

Dear Dave G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had the best fireworks view in town! I will review your feedback regarding the guest room and bathroom with the appropriate department heads for follow up. We hope that next time your travels return you to Savannah that you will visit with us again.

Tucson Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I always want a review to tell me where the hotel is located- near what attractions etc. So, I will start by saying that this hotel is perfectly located for all the great touristy things to do in Savannah, which is a beautiful city. That is why I'm giving it a 4 rating. It is on the river, so the famous River Street is right below it, you can walk all over the place from this hotel and access all of the famous sights, squares and numerous restaurants. The room was ok, the shower was European style, which surprised me, but that would have been ok if it literally didn't take 5 minutes to get the hot water running. The staff was helpful and it was quiet. So, I guess it deserves a 4- it just isn't very updated or luxurious, but it was perfectly adequate and perfectly located.

Dear WendyAnneM,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. I am delighted to hear that we were the perfect location for your visit and that the staff was helpful. We hope that next time you return to Savannah that you will visit with us once again!

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for two nights this week. We checked a number of reviews on Trip Advisor so I'll try and distill everything with plenty of details so you can make your own decision.

First, I agree with the reviewer who had trouble distinguishing between general Hyatts and Hyatt Regencies. I wouldn't say this is really at the level of what the Regency brand should be. We've had that trouble with other Hyatt properties, most notably, Palm Springs.

Location: Couldn't be better. It's on the river near Bull Street and City Hall. It's basically perfectly situated for your visit.

Hotel exterior and Lobby: It was built in the late 1970's/early 1980's back when Hyatt was going all out with the large interior atriums. From the outside, it's a concrete monolith that my tour guide told me split the historic commission in half with the design. It's completely out of sync with the other buildings, including hotels, on Bay Street overlooking the river. Take a river cruise and you can really see it's completely out of style and character for the river area downtown.

The lobby is large and updated not long ago (or at least well maintained). It's very clean, but if you look up, and you didn't upgrade to an exterior room, chances are you're looking up at what will be your hotel room window overlooking the lobby. Hyatt needs to abandon this type of design entirely.

Room: We upgraded to a terrace room and would recommend you do that or get a river view. Our room had a sliding glass door that opened onto a huge sort of terrace with a view of the Savannah river and port. Quite impressive. Wish the furniture on the terrace was as nice. It was showing its age. And really, that's where the pool belongs....not on the P-2 level of the basement.

The room itself was fine. I understand that they have plans to update/renovate which will help. The bed was very comfortable and clean.......but the bathroom - it was one of the smallest hotel bathrooms I've ever encountered (in any type of hotel room, never mind the upgraded room). The only way to make it smaller would be to swap out the tub for just a shower and adjust the walls accordingly. The bathroom door had about 1 foot clearance from the toilet.

The stand immediately outside of the bathroom was kind of ridiculous. It held the coffee maker and a couple of bottles of water. It too, looked completely out of place.

Staff: The staff is the primary reason this gets 4 stars. We had drinks at the outside bar (please do go - it's great with a great view of the Savannah River) the first night and dinner there the second night (we were too hot and tired to go else where). Both times the servers were wonderful and hoped we'd be back for another visit to Savannah. The front desk staff, concierge, and parking staff were wonderful as well. Now if only Hyatt would only honor the good work done by these people with a building that matches their level of service.

Food: Fine for hamburgers and salsa (all we had). With the city of Savannah at your door, it's tough to compete with the area restaurants.

Breakfast: We ate at Perks in the lobby both days. The coffee and tea were fine. There was food that could be ordered, but I generally just nibble at breakfast so I just did the microwavable biscuit which was fine.

Parking: yes, they do charge $25 and you want to pay it and have them park. My other half despises valet parking. However, I understand most of the hotels in the historic area also charge for valet and I understand it's not the best decision to leave your car out on the street.

Concierge: They were very friendly and happy to make reservations. Given I had already engaged a private guide, I didn't test them beyond trying to find a specific antique store (had to call the tour guide for that information).

All in all it was a pleasant stay with the upgraded room. I would encourage Hyatt to rethink their branding though. I had expected a bit more from the physical structure of the hotel. Perhaps the renovations will help.

Room Tip: Be sure to make sure you do not get a room with a view of the atrium. The terrace room was a $10 up...
Green Features: General green practices like towel service plus a separate container for recyclables which was really helpful.
Dear bumber1965,

Thank you very much for your detailed review of your recent stay with us. I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall visit. I look forward to sharing your thoughts regarding our staff with the team as they will be excited to hear them. We take all of our feedback very seriously and we will discuss yours in great detail for review and follow up in each department. I am excited to inform you that we are in the planning phase of a renovation and we hope that if your travels return you to Savannah you will visit with us once again.

`����ˆ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Best feature of the hotel is the location. Easy elevator ride to all the attractions of River Street. Vu restaurant outdoor dining provides nice view of the street and the river, Staff very friendly and accomodating

Room Tip: ask for river view
Dear Skier982,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found our location to be perfect for you time in Savannah and that our staff was friendly. When you travels return you to Savannah we hope that you will visit with us again!

E-Commerce Marketing Manager

Been to Hyatt Regency Savannah? Share your experiences!