“Awesome, amazing, friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #49 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Savannah, Georgia
“Awesome, amazing, friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to spur of the moment have a "staycation" being that we live here in Savannah. Everyone here at the Hyatt downtown has been super nice and they have all gone over the top. Dan at the front desk answered all our questions and made us feel very welcome. We decided to stay in the hotel and go to the in house bar. Elizabeth, our server, immediately came right to us and asked if we needed anything. She got our drinks right away, was very friendly and chatty, and offered to take our picture without us even asking. The valet attendants were even extra friendly without even knowing if we are staying here. This has been the best staycation we've ever had and we truly recommend staying here whether you are from here or you are simply stopping through. This place is awesome!

• Stayed October 2013
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Aclearma,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We like to exceed the expectations of all of our guests and I am so pleased to hear that we were able to do that for you. I will pass along your kind words to Dan, Elizabeth and the Valet Staff, they will be excited to hear them. We hope that you will come back and visit us again next time you are downtown!

Best Regards
Alex Schulze
Rooms Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

What a sorry state of hotel mismanagement… a stark contrast to my most positive experiences at other Hyatt properties.

Starting with the arrival as we drove up to the entrance, we had to wave down a valet attendant to take our car, and then request a bellman to help us with our luggage.

Then the most surly bell attendant didn’t like being told how we wanted our possessions handled. Such a negative attitude with an audacious combination of disrespect and insolence caused us to feel that we didn’t want to check in. She acted as she was entitled to do her job they way she wanted, and us expressing our desires was interference and disrespecting her!! What an attitude of entitlement!! We advised the front desk supervisor, who we asked to escort us and our belongings to our room, so we wouldn’t have to deal with the bell attendant.

Our room was fine, except the lack of cleanliness was noted (see accompanying photos). Further, the housekeeping staff did the minimal job of replacing our tissues (facial and bath) as absolutely necessary (again, see accompanying photos).

Breakfast in the dining room was very mixed. The actual buffet was excellent, yet the lack of service from the staff was noted. Since 75% of the breakfast diners have breakfast included in their stay, the tips are automatic, and therefore the staff doesn’t have to service the guest, nor the used dish area (again, refer to the accompanying photos). So, we are forced to dine with the stand of used dishes and cleaning supplies in our face!!!

We had turn down service once in three nights. One evening, when I called @ 9:30pm inquiring about the service (not that I really needed it at that point), the supervisor apologized stating that they were busy, and had forgotten.

Though I asked for extra coffee to be delivered each day, I had to request this twice, each day!!!
This was my second visit to this Hyatt property in Savannah, and I will do everything in my power to stay elsewhere on my next visit!!!

Upon checkout, I asked for the managers card so I could share my experiences via email/phone. The clerk instead had the Asst Mgr come out, and after hearing that I felt the hotel failed in delivering good service, to his credit, he offered to comp my stay. I refused, as that wasn’t the point of my sharing my comments. I just felt the hotel could be so much more, especially in a tourist town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Elizabeth k, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Savannah. Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay. We appreciate guest feedback such as yours, as it allows us the opportunity to correct and improve our operation. Please know that all of your concerns have been addressed with the appropriate department managers as we strive to Exceed all Expectations. If your travels ever bring you back to our historic city we would love the opportunity to be your host in our historic city and provide you with a more memorable experience.

Elizabeth Kim
Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The receptionist who met our tour group was friendly and well organised and handed out all our keys very efficiently. We spoke to her later with a query and she was equally approachable and helpful.

The hotel has a great location, with the main entrance opening on to West Bay Street, just next to City Hall, and it has its own elevator at the end of the lobby that takes you down on to River Street, where there are a load of restaurants and where the paddle steamer tours go from.

The room was large and comfortable, but it looked out over the atrium. This meant that it was quiet, but it was a bit strange to open the curtains and not be able to see outside in the mornings. The water in the bathroom was absolutely scalding, but the only problem we had was that the bathmat was removed and not replaced both days and the 2nd day we had been left no hand towels. These were brought when we asked.

The dining room where breakfast was served was huge and the staff made a real effort to try and sit you by the window looking out over the river if they could. The breakfast buffet was excellent, but I didn't understand why they only had the omelette and waffle station on the Sunday morning, not on the Monday or Tuesday.

Sally, one of the concierges, was helpful and made our restaurant bookings and was kept busy by others in our group booking on tours.

There was a conference going on while we were there, but their coffee and refreshments were served in a corner of the lobby and the group didn't overwhelm other guests.

There are a couple of PCs in the lobby, which provide an internet service. The first 15 minutes per 24 hours are free, which was enough time for me to check my emails without the charges kicking in.

There is a reasonable size shop which sells a big range of snacks as well as the normal gift items. Probably nowhere near as cheap as the Five and Dime down on River Street, but convenient if you don't want to go out. There is a bar with outside seating looking out on River Street and the Savannah river which is a pleasant place to have a drink at the end of a hard day's sightseeing and a coffee shop in the lobby if you don't want to go back to your room and use the coffee maker.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out over the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear MJLHoliday,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! I will review this will our departments for recognition and to correct the challenges that you experienced. We hope that you are able to return and visit with us again soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I just finished a 4 night stay at this hotel and were quite happy. When I called to make reservations, I requested a crib and fridge for our 5 month old baby. Our room was ready when we checked in and both the crib and fridge were already set up in the room- a definite plus! They even had little baby bath supplies set out, including a rubber duck. The room was spacious and clean. The bed was sooo comfy.

Every single staff member I interacted with was incredibly, incredibly friendly. The location of the hotel is good- walking distance to everything in the historic district and of course to the river. Also, the workout facility was great- numerous machines and weights- all machines clean and in working order.

Really the only thing I didn't like about the hotel is that it's on Bay St. It's a very busy street (but you don't hear the traffic inside the hotel). It's just that cars seem to drive pretty fast, so look out in that area.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. You'll be well taken care of during your stay.

Dear TL Cotton,

Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to exceed your expectations. Recommendations are so important to us and we thank you for recommending our hotel to others and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is perfectly situated between river street and the city market center. You will never need the car staying here unless you plan on going outside the city. The hotel overall is average only cause I felt the rooms needed better attention. The shower curtain bar was coming off the tile... Door needed painting and the decor was dated. What you pay for is location and a clean hotel.

Dear mrneeves,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you found the location perfect for you stay. I am sorry that you had some challenges in your guest room, please do reach out to me directly so we can confirm a room number so they can be addressed by the appropriate department right away.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

A+ for convenience. Overall this hotel was fine for a weekend getaway. I don't think it was worth $250 per night considering the wear & tear of the room (especially the bathroom), but all hotels in the Savannah historic district are expensive and this was a bargain compared to others. Everything in the historic district is within walking distance, however, when you're enjoying the nightlife on River Street it is very nice to zip up the elevator at the Hyatt and skip instant death trying to cross Bay Street traffic on foot. The hotel fronts Bay Street, but is truly located above River Street along the Factors Walk area. The location was a nice surprise, it is hard to get that from the website.
We had a gorgeous view to compensate for the Double room we got when we arrived to find our reserved King room was overbooked (2 tiny extremely uncomfortable double beds). The room was clean, but again, had seen a lot of use. Front desk, housekeeping, and valet parking were all professional & very nice.
Random things:
The electrical outlet at the desk did not work and when I switched the plugs around the electrical box pushed back into the wall a few inches, which was a bit scary. There was a horrible sewage smell in the entire hotel on Saturday until noon. The work out room & pool are located in a basement area accessed through the parking garage elevator.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear SecondMrsT,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and the view from your room. I am also happy to hear that you found our front desk, housekeeping and valet parking staff pleasant and I will pass along your comments to them. I will also pass along your comments regarding the guest room and electrical outlet to the appropriate departments for review and action.

Thank you again and hope to have you with us again,
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My experience in the last few years is that Hyatts can be a little hit or miss. Well, this is one of the good ones.

The hotel is well maintained. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. And the location can't be beat; it's right in the heart of all the action in Savannah.

I was there for a convention, and the food service was very good. There's not much to the restaurant, I doubt many people want to eat in the hotel when there are so many great bars and restaurants in the immediate area.

My only complaint was the desk chair in my room. I always appreciate a desk and chair for working on the laptop, but in this case the chair could not be raised to a height that would be suitable for using the desk. Pretty lame.

Room Tip: Some exterior rooms probably have great views. I had an interior room, and since they all open onto...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Travel4FunandBiz,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am please to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location to be perfect for your travels. I am also so happy to hear that the staff was friendly and accommodating. I will pass along your comment regarding the desk chair to the appropriate department to be looked at.

Thanks again and look forward to having you with us again,
Sales Manager

Been to Hyatt Regency Savannah? Share your experiences!