“Excellent hotel right on River Street” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #49 of 111 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Proctorville, Ohio
“Excellent hotel right on River Street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Hyatt was a great place to stay during our conference. The hotel is right on River Street, which is close to great restaurants, shops, and downtown. The Vu bar in the hotel has a great view, and the staff were very friendly. The beds were super comfy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear skyllo,

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your conference and found the location to be ideal and staff friendly. I hope that you are able to return for pleasure someday and visit more of our grand city.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The location and access to River Street is awesome, but other things were lacking. The room was standard and nothing special. The bed was hard as a rock (very firm). The Windows restaurant onsite only had an 81 sanitation rating and was charging $19 per person for an ordinary breakfast buffet. The indoor pool had a plastic liner that looked like it might have a brownish residue on the bottom. When we arrived at the hotel the valet stated that $22/day valet parking was our only option. We discovered we could park in the Bryan Street Parking Garage for $3-5/day. This hotel was one of the most expensive in the area, and I was expecting better value than what we got.

Room Tip: River view rooms are worth the extra cost if you enjoy looking at the water and watching the large s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattRegencySavannah, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for your stay not meeting your expectations. I wanted to let you know that we are currently working to improve our pool area. The project should be complete before the end of April. If your travels ever bring you back to our historic city we would love to be your host again and provide you with a more memorable stay.

Heather R. Miller
Rooms Division Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked my stay through Priceline and got an excellent rate that was well below their stated standard room rate. Upon check in, I was told they had no king bed available (which I had requested) but they could give me a room with 2 double beds and a view of the river!! Great!! From my room you could see river street and watch, and sometimes hear, the barges and ferries going up and down the savannah river.
The room was very comfortable and clean. While the decorations are sort of reminiscent of the 1980's, that really didn't bother me. The staff are very friendly and helpful and make you feel right at home from the time you arrive.
I do agree that the wifi should be free. Also, there is a $22.00 a day charge for valet parking; however, they are open 24 hrs a day and you have unlimited in/out privileges at no extra charge.
The hotel does require that you have your room key upon entering the elevators to access your room. I thought this was a good extra security feature and didn't mind having to have my key out each time.
Overall, this is a great hotel. I didn't get a chance to try the on site restaurant so I can't provide a review for it. There is also an on site coffee shop, but with all the good places to eat in savannah, I didn't try that either.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Travelgirl2177,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that the room was comfortable and to your liking and you enjoyed your view. I will pass along your comments regarding the decor and the internet to our staff and they will review them.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have been visiting Savannah for years but always stayed near the Interstate. we always said we would one day stay downtown on the river. we finally did it! We stayed one night and we truly did not want to leave. We had a second floor balcony room and although we live on the St. Lawrence River and are used to freighters the container ships are spectacular!
My husband loved seeing these and was even up at 2 a.m. Watching for them.

the room was roomy and the bathroom was a very good size. the decor was modern-everyone you could possibly want.We had room service for breakfast and it came on time and was absolutely accurate, delivered by a nice young man.

Andre, the bellman was extremely nice and helpful. Everyone from start to finish were great! We will return next February!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Kathleen P,

Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations of a stay downtown! I will pass along your kind words regarding your room service delivery and Andre, Bellman. I hope that you are able to return again soon for more time with us.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This property is quite disappointing when one expects Hyatt quality but finds a tired "big box" hotel instead. To be fair, the staff is friendly, efficient, and enthusiastic. The sad experience centers around the facility itself. This place is showing its age; rough around the edges and looking more than a bit worn out. The room shows significant wear and is seemingly outdated. Cleanliness is an issue with grime in bathroom corners, painted surfaces discolored with fingerprints smudges and just sort of greasy. The bed is quite uncomfortable as the mattress is broken down. I discovered the center ridge in the mattress reasonable for sleeping while trying to keep from rolling into the swales at either edge. Poor soundproofing didn't provide insulation from street/ river traffic noise. While I stayed six nights, I only saw the main restuarant open one day. Food was offered in the lounge, however. Decided not to eat in the lounge given the dining atmosphere. Only valet parking available at $$ a day, no self park unfortunately.

Room Tip: Riverside can be noisy with cargo ships horn's blaring late at night. Top floor may be better.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Savannah. Please accept our sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations during your stay. We appreciate guest feedback such as yours, as it allows us the opportunity to correct and improve our operation. Please know that all of your concerns have been addressed with the appropriate department managers as we strive to Exceed all Expectations. We are currently preparing for a renovation and have taken your concerns into consideration for this.
If your travels ever bring you back to our historic city we would love the opportunity to be your host in our historic city and provide you with a more memorable experience.

Heather R. Miller
Rooms Division Manager
Telluride, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The Hyatt is a good choice if you go to Savannah, although I am not sure if it's Regency quality. The rooms are okay, situated in a square building, with the standard lobby/atrium feel. It is a rather large hotel, and the rooms are fairly updated. It seems like the towels and amenities are typical Hyatt, rather than regency. The Bellmen were very nice, as was the front desk. This would be a good convention hotel, as some of the meeting rooms are situated right on the riverfront--the only thing is that so is the riverfront walk, so you have people looking in at you. There are restaurants and shops very close, considering that it is directly downtown. I really don't think that the location can be any better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Kelly A,

Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and found the staff friendly and nice. I will will pass along your thoughts to our team regarding the feel of the hotel as we find these to be key to us constantly improving.

Thank you again and I hope that you will join us again soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The staff here were friendly, the room was spacious, although the bathroom was cramped, esp. the shower which was narrow and had a support bar that reduced the space even further and made showering awkward.

The on-site lounge was very convenient and the food was perfect after our late evening arrival. The fitness room and pool were well set-out as well. By far the best thing about the hotel, outside the excellent staff, was its location in Savannah's historic district.

If we hadn't booked at a discounted rate I would have been less accepting of a few of the rough edges, but at the discounted rate the hotel was far above and beyond. From that perspective I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jfk00,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you found the staff friendly, the room comfortable and our location perfect. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back soon!

Sales Manager

Been to Hyatt Regency Savannah? Share your experiences!