“Great place in Savannah!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forsyth Park Inn

You added Forsyth Park Inn to your Saves list
Forsyth Park Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   102 West Hall Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Special Price
Winter Promotion
Ranked #12 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Great place in Savannah!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We loved, loved our stay at the Forsyth Park Inn. We had reserved another BnB but cancelled it when we got a Living Social deal for this one. The location was great and the staff (mostly) was really incredible. The breakfast was seriously some of the best food we had while in Savannah. Everything was really clean and we really cannot say enough good things about our stay here.

I would note that we were in Room 9 - which has 4 windows on the park side. Great views and wonderful lighting. But you do get street noise. It did not bother us at all, but if you don't want that noise I would ask for one of the courtyard facing rooms. That being said, our room seemed a little set off from others and we did not ever hear another person there unless we were downstairs in the common rooms.

My only complaint is that they really shouldn't advertise that there is a fireplace in the room. When I made the reservation I explained that I was from a tropical climate and really wanted a fireplace. I was told Room 9 would be perfect. It technically has one, but it's barely there. Also, when we called to ask for help on how to turn it on, Jerry told us he couldn't find a lighter and couldn't turn it on. So we walked to Kroger and got one and asked for his help. He seemed kind of put off, complained about how the fireplace doesn't work and that they all need to be cleaned, etc. It was awkward to say the least. We did get it going and just lit it ourselves after that. All that said - it really didn't diminish our stay here. We still loved the room and laughed about the entire conversation.

Room Tip: You can narrow it down pretty well online. All of the rooms we saw were really neat looking. Our roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We have just checked into the Forsyth Park Inn, by any standard, a beautiful, well appointed property. We were immediately impressed by the property and our welcome from the staff member on duty on Christmas Eve.
However,it quickly went downhill. My husband booked this property for two reasons, they are pet friendly and we wanted a room with a fireplace, as our reservation was through Christmas. It turns out our room does have a fireplace, but it hasn't been working properly lately and we have been told it is not working tonight. That is disaster number one. At the last minute we did not bring our dog (luckily!) because although they are pet friendly, it is only the cottage on the property that is so, and that is not our room! Jerry, the gentleman on duty, agreed it was very lucky we did not bring the dog as they would not have allowed us to stay with the dog. They have agreed to take 10% off of our bill,however, that does not make up for the prevarication of the booking agent or the disappointment we are experiencing. They are holding us to the next 2 nights of our reservation. We will be leaving here with a bad taste in our mouth and we haven't even been here overnight yet.

Stayed December 2013
Lori B, Owner at Forsyth Park Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
In response to your disappointing experience, I am truly sorry that you left the same day and that I did not have an opportunity to meet with you the next morning as I had planned. Although we did not have another king suite available with a fireplace, I would have offered you your choice of 2 other queen suites with fireplaces. Christmas Eve afternoon my plumber was at the inn working hard to try to remedy why the flame in your room would not stay on continuously. A part had to be ordered and again, I do apologize. It certainly was not our intention in any way to disappoint you. In fact, we are in the business to please our guests. I too was very dismayed when I learned you had left the inn that night giving me no way to personally address your issues. Secondly, we are indeed a pet friendly inn and offer our guests 3 room options with private access to the outside of the inn. If you were to, and you did not, arrive with your pet, I would not have turned you away under the circumstances. Again, I truly wish you would have given me an opportunity to meet with you and try to remedy your concerns.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at the Forsthe inn in room 1. Our view of the park was unbelievable. The house was simply elegant with 12' doors and 12' windows! We learned of the history of the house connecting it to the Titanic! And the murder that took place, unfortunately we didn't get to see any ghosts ;) this will be the only place we stay when we return!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori B, Guest Relations Manager at Forsyth Park Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
So glad you got the opportunity to hear some of the inn's tales...Perhaps you can visit again soon, and maybe you'll be lucky enough to encounter a Savannah, GA ghost! We love sending our guests on all the different ghost tours in the downtown area, and we will certainly help get you on a tour if you'd like next time. Thank you for the kind review, and we look forward to hosting you again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We caught a deal and decided to break away right before thanksgiving. We had a great time at the small one bedroom cottage and was even allowed to bring our dog. It was pretty chilly out so instead of a lot of activities, my husband and I decided to stay in mostly, cook and relax in the courtyard

The staff was all nice and welcoming, but not overly intrusive . They gave us our space but let us know they were there if we needed anything.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori B, Owner at Forsyth Park Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to let others know of your experience at the Forsyth Park Inn. We are appreciative of your kind remarks and are always pleased to know that our efforts in providing guests with the highest level of customer service is well received. Your gracious comments will be shared with our staff as they will be pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a sincere pleasure to have you as our guest and we do hope for the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We chose the Forsyth Inn for a small wedding and could not have been more pleased. From the initial phone calls to the planning to the ceremony itself, everyone at the Forsyth Inn seemed to take a personal interest and wanted to make sure the special day was all we wanted it to be.
The Inn itself was warm and welcoming. We had several rooms there and found each to be comfortable and cozy. The porch is a nice place to sit any time of day and enjoy the view of Forsyth Park. We even saw the "Stroller Brigade" go by. We enjoyed the evening snacks set out for us after a day of touring Savannah. We learned most everything is homemade in their kitchen. We met Laurie, the owner, and she wants to insure each and every guest feels special. This reflects in everyone because Jerry, Dwayne, Andrea, and the rest of the staff did make us feel very special and did all they could to insure a nice visit not only to the Forsyth but to Savannah.
Breakfast is very nice with different menu fare daily. We enjoyed the Mediterranean scramble one day and pumpkin pancakes another day.
As for the wedding, the Courtyard was a lovely, private setting for the ceremony with plenty of room for our party. The wedding took place in front of the fountain, and love filled the entire courtyard. It was just such a beautiful place to watch my son marry his best friend, his soul mate and his true love.
Thanks to everyone at the Forsyth Inn.

Room Tip: Ask about the "Billy Joel" room, yes the Billy Joel. Room 5 is large, roomy with a privat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
So happy to know you both enjoyed your special wedding day here at the inn. We absolutely love and enjoy hosting intimate wedding ceremonies in our private courtyard. We wish you a happy marriage, and hope you can come visit the inn again. We would love to have the opportunity to host your anniversaries here at the inn. Thank you for the wonderful comments!
Cave Creek, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I feel a tinge of guilt writing this review because the staff was so nice and helpful, however I think an honest review would help future guests so here we go...

We visited Savannah Wednesday- Sunday and stayed at Forsyth Park Inn all four nights. Having never stayed in a bed and breakfast, I didn't know what to expect. My research beforehand lead me to this place, as it seemed like it was a "premium" B&B (mainly due to the higher price than other inns) as well as good feedback from previous guests.

Pros:
- convenient location right on the park and easy walking distance to the riverfront (I should note that many, many inns also have excellent locations. My favorite street was Jones so I'd look into staying there if anything is available)
- nice staff (we only really interacted with Duane and Jerry but they were both friendly and seemed enthusiastic about their job)

Cons:
- very loud. We stayed in room #1 and it was extremely loud in the morning. We came in from the west coast so we wanted to sleep a little later, but it was impossible to do so. They should call people and warn them about this room after booking. It wasn't so much the street noise (the room is right on the street) as it was the house noise.
- breakfasts were uncreative and mediocre. Day 1: french toast, day 2: egg casserole, day 3: french toast, day 4: egg casserole. I expected a bit more of variety and quality. I cook a lot at home so maybe my expectations are a bit high.
- the breakfast experience feels a bit rushed and weird. I understand it's difficult to feed a house full of people within a few hours, but I wish the food wasn't just put in front of you 2 minutes after sitting down.
- the room was worn and tired. I get that it's a historical inn with antiques, but perhaps re-upholstering the dirty sofa and picking a new rug would be nice? I think you can keep an "old" feel with still updating things. The bathroom had some damage (crack in the vanity) and it just overall felt tired. They should also update the tube tv!
-the linens the first 2 nights were nice, but they were pilled and limp the other 2. For the price, I think quality sheets should be a given.
- they put out desserts at night but nothing was worth the calories. Sad. I love dessert!

Just a little complaint... Thursday night we had just gotten back from a long day of walking around Savannah so we were napping in the room. The girl at the front desk called to tell us their were hors d'oeuvre out (which we were already told and aware of). I found this really off putting! I just wanted a nap!

Overall I think I learned that B&Bs just aren't for me. It's a bit awkward and I enjoy the anonymity of a hotel better. Also, I think this inn is priced way too highly for the quality. They said the owners purchased the inn in 2000 and I can't help but to think they are just riding the wave of profits without putting money in to make it better.

Sadly, I would not recommend this inn.

And lastly a note not related to the inn but about Savannah in general, for those considering a trip:

I would recommend staying in Hilton Head or Charleston and doing a day trip to Savannah. Both cities were a bit nicer (Charleston if you like a bigger city, Hilton Head if you like a beach town). Savannah was beautiful, but I think a day trip would be better suited.

Room Tip: avoid room #1 - extremely loud
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We visited Savannah for the weekend and stayed at the Forsyth Park Inn. The inn is located across the street from the very beautiful Forsyth Park, within walking distance to all attractions. Our room (#10) was large, had a whirlpool sufficiently large for 2, as well as a separate shower; and the period furniture and decoration provided a great start for our travel in time.

The staff were EXCEPTIONALLY!!! helpful in guiding and arranging our tours and restaurants. They Our days started with southern style breakfast on the balcony, overlooking the park. We spent the days touring historic houses. Don't miss the Juliette Gordon Low house and the Owens Thomas House, stroll through river street, try the flavored peanuts at the peanuts shop, or the candies at the many sweets stores. Have lunch while watching the boats on the river; get dinner at the great restaurants on market street.

Over the weekend there were a few festivals and street fairs. We enjoyed the food festival at market square and the art fair the next day.

Finally, do not miss the old Savannah theater show. This is a music sampler spanning many styles and periods starting 1940's and until today. The performers were exceptional!! as good as any broadway show. Kudos.

Visiting Savannah was one of our best weekend vacations ever. We will be back.

Lori B, Owner at Forsyth Park Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your time in Savannah. We thank you for allowing us to help you discover Savannah. We look forward to hosting your next trip to the city.

Been to Forsyth Park Inn? Share your experiences!