“horrible thanksgiving meal” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Washington DC
“horrible thanksgiving meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

we travelled to Savannah for Thanksgiving long weekend. read so many great reviews about this place so I reserved for dinner. it was bland, cold, uninteresting items, the usual turkey and sides of different vegetables were not even tasty, and the desserts were oversugary and cheap. for $35 per person it should have been at least good if not outstanding and gourmet with interesting dishes or at least good home cookin taste. was hoping to see a ghost to make up for it. there are some really sweet staff who work there though. one in particular he was just the sweetest thing and went out of his way.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

the hotel is old but the rooms are fine. located in the historic area of Savannah, in fact some of the important sites are across the stret and a couple of blocks away.. the restaurant is very good with some nice dishes. we would definitely stay there again both to sleep and dine

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I picked this Inn because it was one of the cheapest in the Historic District. We paid $100+ tax for one nights stay. Included in that was a voucher for 2 free drinks at the bar (which included alcoholic drinks too) and a free Continental breakfast (this is NOT a bed and breakfast, it's an INN).
We arrived at about 11:30 am because we were traveling home from Jax Fl. We ate lunch at the Inn, we had a great server and she was more than willing to make me feel like I wasn't putting anyone out by telling her I was dairy free. We had the club sandwich (I think) for lunch, the fries were good but the onion rings were EXCELLENT according to my hubby. They also give you a honey butter biscuit which she went to put on my plate and caught herself and took it away (dairy) but it looked really good. Husband liked his.
We checked into our room at Noon and they upgraded us to a King, room 107. We put our stuff in our room. Yes the rugs might be outdated, but they still have life in them. They have remodeled the bathrooms. The toilet ummm....trying to be delicate here, in our particular room when we went to flush it it didn't flush, it would start but not exchange water. My husband got the trash can and filled it with water and used that to flush it. I had to do the same thing although for me it didn't work as well (i was impatient and didn't get enough water). I was really rather peeved, but we didn't say anything right then. We went out for the day and walked walked walked. We got back to the Inn and went to the bar trying to figure out where to eat. The problem with visiting on Mondays is stuff isn't always open. We ended up eating at the Inn again. Dinner was really good and again our server was extremely helpful and understood what Dairy free means and told me what I couldn't get. The chef really wants to please (they have a gluten free meal too) and I ended up getting shrimp and veggies.
We went to our room (making sure to go to the bathroom downstairs first) for the evening. Later I went to use our bathroom and I finally figured out you have to hold the handle on the toilet for about 30 seconds until it is completely done flushing.
Breakfast was OK, they have a pretty good section of cold items and a microwave and toaster to warm stuff up. Again, it isn't a bed and breakfast, it's and Inn.

Room Tip: Room 107, hold the handle down on the toilet until it completely flushes otherwise it doesn't w...
Longwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

When I read the reviews for this hotel, they were kind of all over the place. People either praised it highly or complained about acessibility, condition, and toilet paper. I've come to the conclusion that the complainers should just stay at Holiday Inns for the rest of their lives because they can't handle character. The Inn was extremely clean, comfortable, and the staff were extraordinary. The furnishings were an eclectic mix of antiques and reproductions. The bathroom was very clean although basic but when you consider it was built before bathrooms really existed, that is pretty great. Also, its kind of ridiculous that some people expect an elevator in a 200+ year old building. If you can't or just wont climb a couple of flights of stairs this place is not for you. That being said, if you have an adventurous heart this place is magic. Very well done.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have sky lights and not a window. If that is something that bothers you, be sure to...
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I cannot say I was thrilled with my stay here. The hotel is very convenient in its location. within walking distance to all of the historic area. It is a historic inn . I had a hard time sleeping because I could hear every body who passed by outside through the corridor and in the room above me. I guess this is expected in old buildings. I had a hard time also lowering the temp in the room to my liking because it would not go lower than a certain level. My friend in an adjacent room commented that the bathroom was not cleaned well. The breakfast was very average to the mediocre side. The staff were great though. Very helpful especially in directing us where to go and what to do in Savannah

Room Tip: Choose upper floors and away from stairs
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

For starters the location is excellent especially if you are interested in Savannah's restored houses and unique architecture. Inn is right across the street from the Owens-Thomas house and the Davenport Museum. The main historic squares are an easy walk away and River Street is a 15 minute hike. The inn itself is a historic building originally constructed with Savannah grey brick. The downstairs houses a lovely restaurant and comfy bar area. We stayed in room 303 which is down the street from the main building. This building houses rooms 301, 302 and 303 and each room has its own floor. I f you don't mind going up 2 flights of stairs I would definitely recommend room 303. This room has its own large sitting room and a great big bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and steam shower. Rooms were clean and the bed was very comfortable. Room comes with a complementary continental breakfast which was basic but had several options bread, yogurt and cereal. Looking forward to going back to Savannah and the 17 Hundred 90 Inn!

Carlisle,Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We arrived much later than we expected and being unfamiliar with the city, I was perplexed about the parking. I stayed across the street while my wife checked us in. The innkeeper came out and guided me to a parking spot and then escorted us into the inn. An extremely friendly assistant helped us with our luggage and helped us find our room. The building and room had all the qualities you would expect from 1790...uneven floors curving floor plan...CHARACTER.
The room had a marvelous bed that required a step stool for my wife.
The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful.
I will try to review our meal under restaurants

Room Tip: 204 reputedly has a friendly ghost
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to 17 Hundred 90 Inn? Share your experiences!