“Room A-/Service C” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Presidents' Quarters Inn

You added Presidents' Quarters Inn to your Saves list
Presidents' Quarters Inn
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   225 East President Street, Savannah, GA 31401   |
Ranked #10 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Long Beach, CA
“Room A-/Service C”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

We stayed in the cottage across the street from the main inn. Suite 105, Ronald Reagan suite (all rooms are named after Presidents.) It was a large room with a separate sitting area (available for all guests in the cottage), large bathroom with a air-jet large tub and shower combo, private patio with a fountain, and, best of all a private parking space with direct access from the patio. The room was very clean and neat when we checked in, but the cleaning our second night was so-so. The bed was made and there were new towels, but the wash cloths removed, but none replaced. Glasses removed, but none replaced.

The service was so-so. Check in was fine. However, every one appeared to be new as the standard answer was I don't know, I am new. I will find out. They usually did, but not too quickly. You sign up for breakfast the night before with the time and the quantities requested and the location to be served. for the first morning, we requested the patio. We got there and no one asked us for 20 minutes who we were. We were only asked after another table complained. There was coffee in the lobby, but no cups. My husband asked for ice water near the end of our breakfast--after 10 minutes of waiting we left. The food comes from the 1790 next door. It was very tasty and warm despite the logistics of the serving. The hors d'ouevres selection in the evening was good. But again on the second night, they ran out of wine glasses before the end of cocktail hour and there were no replacements. As we had a morning flight, we requested breakfast in our room, NLT 730 AM (the earliest on the breakfast request form) and earlier if possible. It was 10 minutes earlier!

The location is good.

I would recommend the hotel if you can overlook some of the service issues. If you are expecting to be pampered, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Tampa, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2005

We booked this hotel for Valentine's Day Weekend/23rd Anniversary. We should have known better when the lone woman at the desk said that they had not had a houseman for several weeks but would have one the following Monday. We were scheduled for the Grant Suite in the annex. Firsrt the sitting room is divided by a communal stairway from the bedrom,, the TV clicker did not work (and they kept promising to give us batteries--which never materialized), and there was no hot water. Moreover, they could not tell us when the water would be fixed.

After one night of a 4-night stay we drove home to Tampa. They gave us a hard time, first about not charging us for the four nights, and, secondly, when we said that we should not be charged a full night's rate when we couldn't even use the shower (it was 23 degree outside).

Things are shoddily fixed, e.g., lights on vanity do not match, wiring looks as if it was designed by Rube Goldberg. It appears as if they are trying to run this place on a shoestring.

It was a very memorable anniversary, but for entirely the wrong reasons.

• Stayed February 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2005

Not worth the money when you do not get what they advertise and things such as fireplaces in the rooms do not work. Too cold in Dec. to sleep in thats for sure. The owners might want to think of investing a little money to upgrade a few things, but still keep it as real as possible. Some of the staff is not very professional.

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2004

My husband and I visited Savannah in early November. Savannah is wonderful -- you can walk just about anywhere, take tours, look at great architecture and eat in terrific restaurants.
Our stay at the Presidents Quarters only made the vacation better! Our room was gorgeous (the Kennedy Suite), large and clean, with a good size balcony. We had breakfast delivered to our room every day (they even called before they brought it up) and turn-down service at night (with cookies!) At times during our stay, the hotel was full, but we rarely heard a sound -- it's all very private. The staff of the hotel is very helpful and never intrudes on your privacy.
I would highly recommend the Presidents Quarters to anyone who is visiting Savannah. I count this as one of the best vacations we've ever taken!

• Stayed November 2004
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2004

It's obvious that the President's Quarters was once a great inn and can reclaim that status with just a little effort.

The good: Our accommodations were wonderful and well appointed. My wife and I toured other rooms in the main buildings and the guesthouse and were impressed all around. Lovely place. We appreciated the PQ's range of breakfast options and the pot of good coffee. The afternoon teas with their selection of wine, hor's d'oeuvre, and cakes were wonderful ways to unwind at the end of the day. The turndown sweets were wonderful. The houseman was incredibly helpful and friendly. The manager (I believe) was also very helpful; however, I learned how helpful she was because she had to correct others' mistakes. This leads me to...

The bad: An air of disorganization and disrepair. When checking in, I discovered that reservations that I made through the concierge two weeks prior to our arrival had not been not made. I had also requested that champagne and flowers be placed in our room for our arrival and they weren't. When going back to the front desk to ask about them, the person at the desk seemed surprised and genuinely seemed uninclined to resolve the issue. (Though at check-in she was more than happy to hand me the bill which clearly stated and charged me for them.) Luckily, the manager (I believe) arrived and worked to resolve the problems. After a wonderful night on the town, we returned to a beautiful bouquet and bottle of champagne, we smiled, and all was well.

As previous reviewers have noted, there are some other issues with the PQ: The maid didn't clear away used bottles and glasses. We never did get our bathrobes. The main courtyard is in disrepair, what looked like broken lawn furniture thrown off to the side. Trelliswork is rotting. Broken shutters mar the inn's otherwise pretty face. Small things, to be sure, but small things that could be fixed with a coat of paint and a few days of effort. Small things that are hard not to notice and that leave a bad impression.

All said, we had a pleasant stay and the combined grace, effort, and friendliness of the manager and houseman along with our lovely room more made up for the carelessness of other employees. But I shouldn't have to engage in that sort of Good versus Bad arithmetic. And unfortunately, I cannot shake the feeling that if I had not hassled the front desk and had the manager not intervened on my behalf, none of the special touches that they promised would have been delivered and I would have had to fight to remove the charges when checking out. I sadly left with a feeling that I could have spent my money at another B&B and had a flawless stay. This is not the best gut feeling to have about a place.

Another couple staying there told us that they'd been coming to the inn at least once a year for the past several years and that they've sadly noted its decline over the past few years. My wife and I both nodded our heads and agreed that the inn is in serious need of a manager who will shake things up and get it running in top form. It will be a shame if this doesn't happen.

• Stayed January 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2004

My husband and I did a lot of researching on BandBs for our honeymoon in Savannah(a wedding in march with nothing but spring breakers everywhere was a bad idea! =)). We settled on this place, and decided to stay in the Abe lincoln suite, since it was going to be the best choice with the special we got. The suite was nice enough, though the tv was fairly small. We liked the bathroom, and enjoyed the privacy of a closed in hallway to get to our sitting room. We did have a few problems though, enough to keep us from going back. The service was fairly good, though everytime we went to the front desk, we got the impression that we were nothing more than a bother to them. My husband went down to borrow a movie that he could clearly see was right in front of him and available. When he asked for it, the woman informed him it wasn't there without even looking up from what she was doing. He had to tell her it was there before she would hand it over. Not a big deal really, but as said earlier: for that much money, c'mon. They never left enough towels, and they took away our drinking glasses the first day and never brought more. Breakfast did always arrive promptly, and was usually pretty good, but the last day they forgot about us. We had given them our bfast request, and we waited almost an hour before finally calling. They hastily sent up cold food and no silverware. It was the last straw really. No real apologies or reasons. Just a hasty meal for the forgotten guests. The turndown cookies were yummy,so I could consider going back just for that =). Anyway, was a nice enough stay,but for your money, go somewhere else.

Been to Presidents' Quarters Inn? Share your experiences!