“Simply Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
York, SC USA
“Simply Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

What a great stay! We were greeted upon arrival by Jimmy. He checked us in and gave us the bed and breakfast information. Then, we were escorted to our room and he helped us wth our bags afterward. We had great experiences with the owners and would highly recommend it to others. The location of the bed and breakfast is within easy walking distance of everything; we took tours and enjoyed Savannah's night life without breaking a sweat. The accommodations were superb, the bed comfortable and we weren't bothered by someone wanting to clean all the time. Unfortunately, we didn't see any ghosts, although, I was greeted by a hearty hello early Sunday morning and it sounded like it was directly outside the door of the bathroom. I looked outside and there was no one there. Hmmmm.....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

My fiance and I stayed at the Hamilton-Turner Inn for one night while on a recent trip to Savannah. When we checked in, we were treated so well! Our room was beautiful. The entire inn was beautiful! After we checked in, we decided to get some dinner. We came back, parked the car, and went into Lafayette Square to look at the fountain and trees at night. While there taking pictures, I kept noticing groups of people coming to the hotel, talking for a bit, and then leaving. Just one after another. So, we decided to go listen to what was being said... They were Savannah ghost tours talking about how haunted the inn is! I honestly don't know how I missed this feature in my research, but I did. I decided, oh well, it is beautiful, comfortable and full of great people. Nothing to worry about. Well, that night was an interesting one! I kept hearing weird noises. My fiance was sound asleep and missed it all! Although it kept me up, it was an experience and I wouldn't have done it differently!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Thanks to another review on Trip Advisor, I cancelled reservations at a B&B that got some negative comments, and followed the advice to check out the Hamilton Turner Inn. SO GLAD that for a similar rate, our girl's weekend had amenities galore and a clean comfortable place to stay! The Inn is well located on Lafayette Square and is very well kept. They offere a massive breakfast: fruit, yogurt, biscuit or muffin, coffee, tea, juice AND a hot entree. We had stuffed French Toast the first day, then a Vegetable Frittata over cheese grits the second day. Thankfully Savannah is a walking city, because you'll need to work off the calories. I doubt you'll have room for lunch! The parlor is the setting for (gratis)sweet tea in the afternoon, wine and an hors d' in the evening and port at night before turning in. We were in the carriage house, at the back of the Inn. The room was a tad small for two friends in 2 twin beds...though it might be less cramped for a couple in a king bed, but we had elbow room in the separate living room and of course the backyard or the parlor in the main Inn. Triple sheeted beds, terry robes, and chocolates--very welcoming. There was a TV in the room as well as in the living room...but we were too busy out exploring and too tired at night to bother with it. I'd go back with friends for another fall or winter weekend, or for a future romantic getaway! I highly recommend this Inn!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
dothan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

The Hamilton Turner Inn has won me over! My husband was referred to the Hamilton-Turner Inn for our recent anniversary vacation. Now, I am a Bed and Breakfast fan forever! Service and staff were charming and hospitable. They made our dinner reservations and truly seemed to enjoy 'visiting with' their guests. Our room, the Nathaniel Greene, was immaculate. The only difficult part was having to leave that luxurious, comfortable bed every morning to tour the city. The food was delicious and the breakfasts were exceptional in both flavor and service. Savannah is steeped in history and nostalgia and staying at the Hamilton Turner Inn definitely makes you feel like you are part of the city's tradition. It is centrally located to both river side and Forsyth Park. We found walking was much easier than driving and parking. I would highly recommend the Hamilton Turner Inn!! Thank you for making our anniversary so special!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hamilton-Turner Inn in early June for one night. The inn itself is very nice and well-appointed. However, as other commenters have suggested, the staff is incredibly rude. Moreover, there are security issues in the area around the hotel. We parked on a side street overnight where the hotel staff had told us to park. When we went out to our car the next morning, we discovered that the driver's side window had been smashed and the contents of the center console and glove compartment rifled through. This had a significant negative impact on our trip. From the staff at the hotel, we were treated with indifference and as a nuisance. A hotel employee called the police and said he would call a couple of service stations. The police came but he never followed up on the service stations. At no point did anyone indicate any sympathy for our plight. When I called at the end of our trip to complain about this situation, Jim, a hotel employee, told us "It had been a really busy morning" and asked "What did you want us to do?" My suggestion that just a little bit of sympathy would have helped fell on deaf ears. There are plenty of nice places to stay in Savannah. This is not one of them.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
operatingroom, Owner at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
The Hamilton Turner Inn is, of course truly sorry when a guest suffers damage to their vehicle while staying at our Inn. Unfortunately crime in a public place outside the Inn is totally beyond our control. In this case, the gust did leave a pocket book on the car seat and a GPS unit in the window. This not wise in any larger town.

The Inn's staff called the police immediately, arranged a glass repair shop and asisted the guest with clean-up of the car. Considerable time was spent and every courtesy shown. The gentleman's girlfriend rested in our parlor and was treated to beverages ans snacks while repairs were made to the vehicle.

Many thousands of cars are parked every night on the steets of Savannah and, with care, nothing unfortunate occurs, Again, all of The Hamilton Turner staff are, as always truly sorry and endevour to show every great respect to every need of all of our guests.
Stuart, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

My fiance and I recently visited Savannah to view wedding venues and some of the B&B for accomodations for our guests. We are looking for a medium sized B&B to accomodate my fiance and i along with our guests. Hamilton-Turner Inn was one of the B&B on our list to visit.....Horrible. We were greeted outside and was told to wait outside in the stifiling heat for the innkeeper. When she finally came outside we discussed with her our situation and was told our wedding guests werent welcome. When I asked; Why? She said they dont do weddings. I again explained we arent trying to get married onsite but need rooms for accomodations........ Still No. I was then handed a brochure as she walked back inside and locked the door. We visited other B&B that trip... ie; The Ballastone, Foley Inn, Presidents Quarters; all of which invited us in, offered refreshments, and gave us tours of the inns- how it should be. Upon returning from our trip, I wanted to speak with the owner and tell them my expierinces. I have left numerous messages without a single call back. Even the people who answer the phone are rude. I hope management responds to this review..... finally I can hear an explanation. I understand the Hamilton-Turner Inn is a beautiful inn but; why stay at a place you dont feel welcome at? Too many nice inns in Savannah.... GO ELSEWHERE!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Kennebunkport, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

After a long drive from Maine and looking forward to a romantic few days in Savannah at Hamilton-Turner, we got to the Inn at around 1PM. I found the front door locked, knocked and got no response. At first I thought I was at the wrong place, but walked around to the back door and saw people through the window. After being let in, introduced myself and told them of my pre-paid reservation. The woman (owner) immediately told me that check in was 3 PM and that I knew that when I made the reservation. Of course, I didn't. but it was fine, I just asked if I could bring the bags in from the car and asked where to park. She continued to rail about the rules and that 3 PM check-in. I told her that I got it and to stop ranting about the rules. Her husband (owner) came out of the kitchen to defend his wife and also recited the rules. The porter finally (on his own) said he would bring in our bags and show us where to park. I should have left and not stayed there but decided to stick it out. When my wife and I returned from a bite and a tour, it was around 5 and new managers were there to check us in. We found the room to be nice and enjoyed a glass of wine before going to dinner. The next morning both owners were there and could hardly look at us let alone try to apologize for going off the deep end.
So happens my business expertise includes customer engagement (the new way to describe service and loyalty). I've worke with Ritz Carleton and Nordstrom and experienced Singita, Four Seasons and Disney, so I know a little about how the best handle customers and these people don't know the first thing about it. They are inwardly focused and a bit over their heads. Perfunctory politeness is a given, not a way to distinguish yourself, and fighting with the customers can never be good. I will not stay at Hamilton-Turner again and will not recommend it to anyone. H. Cohen, Kennebunkport, Maine

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamilton-Turner Inn? Share your experiences!