“Beautiful Historic Inn with friendly staff!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hamilton-Turner Inn to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #1 of 111 Hotels in Savannah
Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful Historic Inn with friendly staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 nights here and took the time to experience the Inn in its entirety!
Now I imagine we are not the normal couple that would stay here, we are 30s and quite heavily tattooed (my other half more than I) so we definitely stood out but staff was always extremely pleasant!!
(I really liked Mike-so, thank you Mike)
This is an OLD house, you will hear creaks and doors and voices and possibly even the boiler and if you're lucky you may see the ghost of the colonial soldier who haunts the property.
We stayed on the ground level in the Eli Whitney Room...it has a private garden entrance, exposed brick walls and a claw foot tub! (As a side note the shower was always hot).
They serve breakfast in the mornings in the front parlor it was always delicious BUT...they had one breakfast each day and you also had to pick a time for breakfast the day before (9:30 is the latest-too early for me:) So unless you specifically ask for something other than the breakfast (the can do fried eggs and toast on request) you will get the special of the day. In the mornings there is always coffee and tea in the parlor (6-10am) In the afternoons there is lemonade, sweet tea and the treat of the day to indulge in. At 5:30pm (my favorite) it was wine time! There are 3 types of wines and some snacks. Go sit in the parlor all fancy like, sip some wine and enjoy! I did!
In the evening they serve port. All included as part of the experience!!!
I would definitely recommend a stay here for the experience of it all. This beautiful house is a stop for many tour groups for its historic value but fortunately it is NOT open to the public so you'll just have to stay here to get to enjoy it in all it's splendor!

• Stayed June 2013
JeremyWatson, General Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

We appreciate you choosing our Inn to spend your visit to our beautiful City of Savannah. What a pleasure it was to have you as our guests and we do hope for the opportunity to have you again.

Hamilton-Turner Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The Hamilton-Turner House was a spectacular experience for first timers to a B&B! They set the standard with the room we selected, service they provided, the breakfast (stuffed French toast with bacon) was absolutely incredible. Overall, I don't think I would change a thing . This was definitely the best place I've stayed and recommend it highly

• Stayed June 2013
We greatly appreciate your kind words and review. It is our wish to provide you with the best service possible so that you can have the best experience possible. We will be sure to share your sentiments with our team members.

Again, thank you for sharing your sentiments with us. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I just wanted to right a quick review of our 2 night stay at the Hamilton Turner Inn. We were in the James Olglethorpe Suite. It was stunning.. If we could have stayed in that room entire time, getting room service it would have been heavenly. We also opted to have the romance package.. I had beautiful roses in my room upon arrival.. The inn took care of all our restaurant reservations and even gave us a bunch of the staff recommendations. The 2 we picked were delicious. We also had a private horse drawn carriage ride in our package.. The town is gorgeous but our tour guide was a little on the blah side. We have never been to Savannah and told her so, hoping she would wow us but that was not the case. I loved all the little touches that the inn had, such as chocolates in our room upon arrival and cookies along with a little card printed with our breakfast time, weather forcast for the next day on the turn down service.

All and all we absolutely loved the inn and would stay there in a heartbeat again. Just not sure if we would return to Savannah.. It was too much like our home in Wilmington, NC.

Room Tip: Choose the James Olglethorpe Suite!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JeremyWatson, General Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review.

Thank you for choosing the Hamilton-Turner Inn as your place to stay during your visit. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we do hope for the opportunity to host you again in the future.

suffolk, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I spent the nights of June 10 and 11 at the Inn. We have stayed at over 30 B&B's and we can say that this one ranks up there with the best of them. It is located in the historical district and is within walking distance of lots of places including Mrs Wilkes boarding house restaurant and the Pink House restaurant.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 101 in the basement. It was quiet and well taken care of. If it is being served, y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to historic Savannah. Sincerely, it was our pleasure to have you as our guests and we do hope the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This inn is really not what it paints itself to be. It is nice but certainly falls short from the image it sets of itself on the web. The building is beautiful from the outside but inside feels "tired" and In need of refreshing. We were in a room on the ground floor and whatever you do don't stay in it until they guarantee that they have fixed the shower. There is absolutely no water pressure and I had to contort myself in every possible way to get wet!! The room was dark but otherwise comfortable.
I found their breakfasts bizarre!! You had to give a time the day before for your seating so there goes the idea of lounging about and playing it by ear..! The breakfasts were nice, but the choice rather pitiful and I would have expected more. There is one hot dish and if you don't like it then you are stuck!!
The staff were friendly as was the gentleman serving breakfast, but I didn't get the same feeling from the owner. When I came back home and read other reviews I noticed the trend... Sad to say she has not changed.
Overall a disappointment in relation to what we were expecting... But it didn't ruin our weekend.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Thomas Charlton room until they fix the shower!
Meredith, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

During a recent trip from our New Hampshire home to our vacation home in the Florida Keys we stopped in Savannah as we always do to visit with our daughter who is attending the Savannah College of Art and Design better known as SCAD. When visiting Savannah we have stayed at the same hotel for the past few years and have always been very pleased with the service and the accommodations. However, being a big fan and supporter of Trip Advisor we decided to try the Hamilton Turner Inn which is ranked on Trip Advisor as the #1 place to stay in Savannah. In addition to the accolades given this property by Trip Advisor the Inn’s web page is plastered with all kinds of accolades and glowing reviews. From the minute we arrived at this property we knew it was a big mistake. We were met by a man who was not overly friendly and who told us that he would take our luggage but that we were not welcome inside the Inn until the 3 p.m. check in time. We asked if our room might possibly be ready before 3 p.m. and were told that even if it was ready we could not check in until 3 p.m. He further stated that this is the policy of the Inn for all guests. We picked up our daughter at SCAD and went to lunch. We returned to the hotel at about 4 p.m. and were shown to our room by another man who introduced himself as someone that worked in the kitchen. He showed us to our room which is advertised on the Inn’s website as “the largest of our courtyard level accommodations”. In fact this room is the smallest room that my wife and I have ever stayed in and it is in the basement of the Inn, not at courtyard level. It had one small window near the ceiling that allowed in a little filtered light but in spite of that the room was very dark and claustrophobic. We complained to the man who showed us to our room and he said that he would pass along our complaints to the General Manager. A short time later we got a call from the General Manager who rather rudely asked what our problem was with our accommodations. I explained that the room was much smaller than advertised, was in the basement and not at “courtyard level” and overall was not as advertised. He replied again rather rudely saying “your room is exactly as advertised”. I have to admit that I was getting a little upset by what was an overall bad attitude by every employee that we had encountered since our arrival at this property. I told the General Manager that I was not going to argue with him but that we were not happy with our room and if the Inn could not move us to another room that we were not going to stay at the Inn. His next comment was “you can do what you want but you reserved this room, we don’t have any other rooms to offer you and we have a very clear cancellation policy. If you do not wish to stay in the room you reserved that’s fine but we will not refund you the money that you paid for the room”. At this point I was in a state of shock as was my wife who could hear my side of the conversation and some of the other side of the conversation. I’m sure that my tone of voice wasn’t pleasant when I said to the General Manager that “I can’t believe that as a guest that I am being treated this way. I am going to post negative reviews about our experience at your Inn on every website that I can find”. He replied “that’s what they are there for”. At that point I hung the phone up. It took my wife and I both a few minutes to recover from the treatment we had received from the General Manager but we did and decided that rather than pay for two rooms that night we would tough it out. The room was so small it did not have a work desk. So I took my laptop and went to the courtyard outside of our basement room and sat at a table there to check my e-mails and to communicate with my office. A few minutes later our daughter showed up as planned to continue our visit and eventually go out for dinner and a night on the town. All of a sudden another man appeared, announced that he was the owner of the hotel and started screaming and hollering at me from just a few feet away. Honestly, he was so red in the face and was spitting as he screamed and I thought he was going to have a heart attack right then and there. He asked who my daughter was and I said “she is my daughter” and he said “your daughter is not a guest of this hotel and is not allowed on the property”. He went on to say that if I was ever rude to his General Manager again he would call the police and have my wife and I removed from the property. WOW, I just sat there stupefied and silent. ! My daughter immediately exited the property through the courtyard gate and stood horrified outside of the gate while this scene continued. My wife, who heard the screaming and hollering from our basement room adjacent to the courtyard, came out into the courtyard and confronted the owner by saying “who do you think you are! We are guests at this hotel, you are screaming at my husband and our daughter is a student at SCAD and you’re telling us she is not allowed on the property”? The “owner” ignored her and walked away from her without comment. I am almost done but need to mention one more thing. The hotel is surrounded by public streets and has no parking area. My wife had asked the man that originally took our luggage where we could park. He said on the street until 3 p.m. which mostly metered parking and in the catholic school lot behind the Inn after 3 p.m. when the school gets out. When we went to our vehicle parked in the Catholic School lot to go out to dinner there was a note on the windshield that said, and again I quote, “FINAL WARNING, You are parked illegally in our CHURCH LOT. Cars parked in the CHURCH LOT will be towed away at the owner’s expense”. I don’t know if anyone bothered to read this whole review and I wouldn’t blame them if they didn’t due to the fact that it is long and drawn out. This is a true story and I felt that I needed to post the entire story because I told the Inn that I would. In addition, as you can see from my other reviews on Trip Advisor, I don't post many negative reviews and only do so when I feel it is my obligation to report a really awful experience to fellow travelers. This experience was truly horrifying.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Southern Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed one night at this beautiful historic B & B. It has a great location and the room had a great furnishings and views. There was a small nice garden to sit and enjoy the blooming jasmine that smelled amazing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

Hamilton-Turner Inn

Been to Hamilton-Turner Inn? Share your experiences!